McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: witnof on November 18, 2008, 05:33:39 PM
Reillers, right or wrong, the issue is that everyone is sick of the Cork hurlers. And the majoirty of the GAA people in this country simply do not want to listen to them anymore, even if some of the points maybe valid. Its like the boy who cried wolf too often.

Few people believe that they are the most shamably treated group of hurlers in the country and the general perception is that given an inch they will want a mile.

For Christ's sake, going on strike for the second time in the space of a year, what do they expect.

But each time they've spoken out, they were absolutley right to.
In 2002 they were treated appaulingly. They'd to go on strike to get proper gear, an actual physio not to go and find one, there was a list of problems, a list of issues that teams like KK and Tipp and co. take for granted. But no, getting them for Cork was like trying to get blood from a turnip.

In 2006, ye don't realise it, but it was the board fighting back. "The Empire fought back." And when they turned around and said, despite the agreement hammered out in 2002, they siad they'd go back on it completley. They went in to back the footballers. People forget that. They ended up being the poster boys for it, but it was the footballers who went on stirke, they repaid them for 2002 by backing them.
This year, the board did it again. They didn't go through the proper process when reappointing Gerald. There's no reason for reappointing Gerald. They only did it to get rid of the core players that have caused them so much trouble for them, players who stood up to bullies, when NO ONE else would and no will else will. The board have been stewing for a long, long time just waiting to get revenge for that.

Ye see them as "the boy who cried wolf" but they were actually necessary. If they weren't fighting the board, no one would be. They'd have complete control. That would be pretty much the end of Cork GAA. The board, want complete control. If we get rid of this team, if we loose what ye all see has trouble makers, we'll have the same old story. Nothing will have changed except the 30 players, the board will stay the same, the problems will still be the same except the board will have a lot more freedom. A bunch of kids aren't going to stand up to the board.

Not for a long time anyway because at the start they'll just be so overwhelmed, they'll be playing for Cork. I know a few of the Sars boys who didnt play minor or U21s, about 5 of them have trials with Cork, along with the lads in the Glen..etc. playing in the Waterford Crystal and they're speechless. They were devastated after loosing on the weekend, they've done so well, they won the county final when everyone thought it was way to early and did so well this season, but they're a bunch of kids. What, we put them against Kilkenny and see what happens. But that's not even the point. They wont care that they're getting treated like crap. Not for a long while anyway. And Gerald will be even more of a yes man. I don't think ye fully understand what will happen if the players don't win this one.

ExiledGael

You've convinced me anyway Reillers.
Yiz are a passionate crowd down there. Last year there was an obvious, if a little troublesome, solution with Holland to go after the arbitration. If we go through the whole process again and Ger walks away, which looks months off at best, would that even be enough for the players? This dogfight in the papers is distrcting from the real culprits in the county board.
Can anyone hazard a guess at the endgame in all this?

Reillers

We'll all loose except the board, unless Frank Murphy and Co. resign. The fans will loose if the players walk. Cork GAA will loose if Gerald stays, not because Gerald is such a bad manager but because the board will have complete control and the players will also loose out and if Gerald walks he'll loose out.

What do I think is the solution, Gerald, Frank Murphy and about 4/5 players should all walk away. It's the only will Cork hurling will win. Other then that, the only winners will be the board.

Ye don't see that, ye want all the players to be "put in their place" if Gerald wins, we all loose.

That way, the way I suggested, is the only way everyone will be happy.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 18, 2008, 07:24:36 PM
We'll all loose except the board, unless Frank Murphy and Co. resign. The fans will loose if the players walk. Cork GAA will loose if Gerald stays, not because Gerald is such a bad manager but because the board will have complete control and the players will also loose out and if Gerald walks he'll loose out.

What do I think is the solution, Gerald, Frank Murphy and about 4/5 players should all walk away. It's the only will Cork hurling will win. Other then that, the only winners will be the board.

Ye don't see that, ye want all the players to be "put in their place" if Gerald wins, we all loose.

That way, the way I suggested, is the only way everyone will be happy.

Care to name the players who you think should walk away ?

Reillers

Deane, Donal Og, Sean Og, Sully..etc. For a start. Maybe a few more, but if I say Ben and just can't stop myself saying and Jerry.
But those 4 anyway.

Loosing those players, though I don't want to loose them that way, or loose them full stop but in the right circumstances with a good manager and a supportive, good board. It could be one of the best things that could happento Cork hurling in a while.

Not loosing the players, but bringing in new ones, because there is some serious talent there. I just wish it could have happened in better circumstances. Pity.

But after what some of the young lads said to Gerald I don't, even if they make themself availbale for selection that they'll ever play for them again.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 18, 2008, 10:47:53 PM
Deane, Donal Og, Sean Og, Sully..etc. For a start. Maybe a few more, but if I say Ben and just can't stop myself saying and Jerry.
But those 4 anyway.

But after what some of the young lads said to Gerald I dount, even if they make themself availbale for selection that they'll ever play for them again.

Maybe they should all clear off then ? Let Gerald start again as they've been too badly poisoned by the older lads.

Reillers

No, I can't, Naughton, Horgan, O Neill, Sully Og, Pa Cronin, they're too good. Will all probably play for U21s again this year. Play as long as they're underage for the 2 years till Gerald's out, at least they'll be playing. A serious belt for the U21 title though.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 18, 2008, 11:18:01 PM
No, I can't, Naughton, Horgan, O Neill, Sully Og, Pa Cronin, they're too good. Will all probably play for U21s again this year. Play as long as they're underage for the 2 years till Gerald's out, at least they'll be playing. A serious belt for the U21 title though.

If they refuse to play for the seniors, I'd bet that thwy'll not get an under 21 jersey ! Why should they ?

Reillers

They are some of the best young players in the country. They're not doing anything that affects the U21 lads. IF they don't play it'll be because they get blatantly ignored becuase surprise surprise the set ups shocking. But it'll be a real pity if they don't play.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 18, 2008, 11:32:30 PM
They are some of the best young players in the country. They're not doing anything that affects the U21 lads. IF they don't play it'll be because they get blatantly ignored becuase surprise surprise the set ups shocking. But it'll be a real pity if they don't play.

They can't just pick and choose who they want to play for.

theskull1

But after what some of the young lads said to Gerald I dount, even if they make themself availbale for selection that they'll ever play for them again.

I thought it was more the older players opening their mouths. I cringe at the thought of a young hurler disrespecting a gentleman like GMcC.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

But those 4 anyway.

Loosing those players, though I don't want to loose them that way, or loose them full stop but in the right circumstances with a good manager and a supportive, good board. It could be one of the best things that could happento Cork hurling in a while.

Not loosing the players, but bringing in new ones, because there is some serious talent there. I just wish it could have happened in better circumstances. Pity.

But after what some of the young lads said to Gerald I don't, even if they make themself availbale for selection that they'll ever play for them again.

Why these lads as opposed to some others ?

Reillers

No, they're not but it's like, they're figure heads, they are seen as the ones leading it, it would settle a lot of problems with the media and board, because to them they are the ones leading it. They are big names who were all involved in 2002, players who the board have fierce problems with.

They'd willingly take that sacrifice, they'd walk away for the good of Cork GAA..Gerald Mac and CCB wont. It tells it all I think.

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on November 18, 2008, 11:44:34 PM

I thought it was more the older players opening their mouths. I cringe at the thought of a young hurler disrespecting a gentleman like GMcC.
They said home truths.
But a gentleman? You mean the same gentleman who crossed the line by leaking a confidential, private document that drew a line in the sand, after that there's no going back.
Gerald is seen as a quiet gentleman, he's far from that. It's a bit of a perception, he is as he was a play. Fierce sly, he'll do about anything to get his way.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on November 18, 2008, 11:33:52 PM
Quote from: Reillers on November 18, 2008, 11:32:30 PM

They can't just pick and choose who they want to play for.

The manager can. He has to pick the best 30 available to him. Having those players available but not picked isn't in the best interest if Cork's chances of winning.