McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornafean

Quote from: orangeman on November 14, 2008, 10:48:44 AM
Sean Og also said he would welcome the intervention of a meidator at this stage.
Its a pity that Dessie Farrell prejudiced this idea a few weeks back by pointing out that, as amateurs, the Cork players are not contractually obliged to comply with the mediation terms agreed with Kieran Mulvey last Spring. What's the point in mediation now, if the players can choose to ignore it?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

orangeman

Quote from: cornafean on November 14, 2008, 11:12:38 AM
Sean Og also said he would welcome the intervention of a meidator at this stage.
Its a pity that Dessie Farrell prejudiced this idea a few weeks back by pointing out that, as amateurs, the Cork players are not contractually obliged to comply with the mediation terms agreed with Kieran Mulvey last Spring. What's the point in mediation now, if the players can choose to ignore it?

Desperation is setting in - the players misread public opinion ealry on and realise that they have little public support.

Whatever the politics of the county board, the general public with the Cork players' continued militancy especially as results weren't there as past while. They're not coming from a position of strength.

Isn't it very interesting that the Cork footballers have all but abandoned the hurlers who leapt to their defence last year. What does that tell you ???

mr_t

Get rid of the older and overrated players like Cusack, Ó hAilpín and O'Sullivan.  I bet ya the rest would follow suit once they see genuine Cork hurlers getting on with it and if they don't then build for the future.

They are looking a scapegoat for their inability to match Kilkenny's progress.

bredaghgael86

Granted its a very simplistic attitude to take and i no there is the gpa bla bla, but are there not 30 fellas in cork that want to play for cork?  why dont the county board tell them all to fcuk off and get in a squad who will put a bit of pride back in the jersey.  Im still of the opnion that it is a massive privilage to play for your county, one which you should honour as a mark of respect to your club and family, not by dictating ho things should be run.  maybe im just wile naive.

orangeman

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on November 14, 2008, 12:18:22 PM
Granted its a very simplistic attitude to take and i no there is the gpa bla bla, but are there not 30 fellas in cork that want to play for cork?  why dont the county board tell them all to fcuk off and get in a squad who will put a bit of pride back in the jersey.  Im still of the opnion that it is a massive privilage to play for your county, one which you should honour as a mark of respect to your club and family, not by dictating ho things should be run.  maybe im just wile naive.

That patently is no oonger the case with the GPA reps down there. Things have moved on they would tell you - they would tell you that it's the players who bring in the money and are therefore the most valuable commodity the GAA have and therefore need rewarded.

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on November 14, 2008, 12:18:22 PM

i'd agree with your general view put there still is an onus on the county board to look after the players needs as stipulated in recent agreements by Croke park. Now some of you might say that those requirements are very basic in terms to playing gear, expenses, meals etc but some county boards still don't divvy up. i always got the impression that in those terms Cork were well looked after, gear washed and all for them which probably doesn't happen in 95% of county panels, maybe Frank has 'cut costs' here, I don't know.

The Cork thing seems to have taken on a life of its own as the players are now questioning the managers ability (sadly in public) to take them to the level they aspire to. I'm sure there are plenty of county panels around the country who feel the same but I'm not so sure its the right way to go about it as what is there to stop the manager questioning a players ability in public and if Gerald McCarthy was to start critising Donal O'g for a few wayward puckouts on the monday morning's papers or sunday game post match interview then all respect would be gone and that's what's lacking in Cork, RESPECT and not all the blame lies with the players IMO.

Lecale2

I hear Sean Og is heading up to Ballygalget for your presentation night JC. You'll maybe get some inside info you can share with us.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 14, 2008, 03:05:59 PM
I hear Sean Og is heading up to Ballygalget for your presentation night JC. You'll maybe get some inside info you can share with us.

I might need to speak to his agent first though but if i do get some inside information I'll share it with the masses

Zulu

I got this from AFR and it seems Cork folk aren't quite towing the party line as some around here would like us to believe. They blame the CCB for this mess, not the players.......interesting.

Survey: County Board to blame for impasse

http://www.corkman.ie/sport/hurling/survey-county-board-to-blame-for-imp
asse-1537971.html

Thursday November 13 2008

THE blame for the latest dispute involving the Cork senior hurling panel
and management rests with the Cork County Board - that is the opinion of
a large majority of those who responded to a poll on website, The
Corkman's corkman.ie

An overwhelming majority of 70% of those who took part in the website
poll believe the blame for the latest impasse in Cork hurling is at the
hands of the County Board.

Throughout the latest dispute it's been noted that the players have lost
the support of the general public, but this wasn't borne out in survey,
which found that only 23% of respondents blame the players.

Ma n a g e r Gera ld Mc C a r t h y ( has been having the better of the
PR war and the success of this seems to be confirmed by the Corkman
survey, which found that only 7% of the respondents laid the blame at
the door of the St Finbarrs' man.

Reillers

Sean Og is in the Indo this morning with a big headline -

There no academies and Pairc Ui Chaoimh is dying on its feet !

What has Pairc Ui Chaoimh dying on its feet got to do with anything ???????

But still insists that they won't play for Mc Carthy.

So I'd say this present Cork team will break up and the legends that were Sean Og etc etc will now be just fond memories of great days in Thurles, Cork, Croke Park etc.

It was good while it lasted. But all good things come to an end. Thanks for the memories.

It's get everything to do with it. Clearly you've never been there, well not recently anyway. The state of the place, weeds, potholes, the ground is disgraceful. Go down and take a stroll up the pitch..try not to break your ankle. Even looking at it..it's pathetic.
It really sums up the CB. They can't..wont take care of their own ground. They refuse to. They don't do anything.

You can say what you like about the CB, Donal Og, Gerald Mac..but Sean Og is a gent, and as honest as they come. The man on the street knows that you couldn't find more of an honest lad..not the best with the media, public speaking isn't his strong point.
But People who've met the man for 5 mins know that. He is a great embasader for the game. He loves the game so much. He is not a liar, you can take what he said in that report as pretty much stone cold truth.
I can pretty much guarantee ye that.

I think he's gotten one yellow card..when he was 12 years old..not one since..(or so the story goes.)

There is no better embasader for the game.

It's one thing to question the likes of Donal Og, his rep isn't good, but Sean og's. Like I said, you can pretty much take everything he says at face value and believe him because he is not a liar, he's an honest lad.

orangeman

Listen Reillers - the state of Pairc Ui Chaoimh has NOTHING to do with this dispute -

I'm not calling anybody a liar - so you're barking up the wrong tree there - but the whole players thing is now a smokescreen, they're tyring to draw other people and other things into the dispute - in short they're losing.

Zulu

OM can I ask you what you know about the day to day runnings of Cork GAA? I mean are you basing your opinion on what you read in the papers and on discussion boards or do you have a personal knowledge of Cork GAA?

theskull1

There are plenty of Cork men on discussion boards who recognise that all is not rosy with their CB Zulu. Those very same men are 4 sqaure behind Ger McCarthy

OM's point is that these side swipes are not really relevant when it comes down to the nitty gritty. The CB and many others have had enough militancy from these boys and the vast majority people are in agreement that it is about time to.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 14, 2008, 09:24:25 PM
OM can I ask you what you know about the day to day runnings of Cork GAA? I mean are you basing your opinion on what you read in the papers and on discussion boards or do you have a personal knowledge of Cork GAA?

I would have a degree of knowledge of what goes on in Cork football and hurling and don't rely solely on papers, tv or discussion boards.

Sean Og's point might be a good one but it has NOTHING to do with the situation that Cork hurlers find themselves in now - knowing that they're beat, they're only trying to muddy the waters.

The hurlers are now asking for mediation but saying that they're not going back under Mc Carthy - talk about backing your self into a corner ???

I believe Mc Carthy used the term painting themselves into a corner but I think we all know what he meant. Sean Og obviously didn't take heed of this point or else is past caring ( which I do not believe as I too believe that he is a great ambassador for the game ). 

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on November 14, 2008, 09:07:03 PM
Listen Reillers - the state of Pairc Ui Chaoimh has NOTHING to do with this dispute -

I'm not calling anybody a liar - so you're barking up the wrong tree there - but the whole players thing is now a smokescreen, they're tyring to draw other people and other things into the dispute - in short they're losing.

See this is where ye fall down, where ye don't understand, no matter how long I explain it to ye.
The state of the ground has EVERYTHING to do with it, it represents the board, how it's run.

People who haven't a clue about the day to day runnings of Cork Gaa.
If you have a degree of knowledge you wouldn't be asking that question, how it's relelvant. It's SO, SO relevant. I can't even begin to explain what's going on if you fail to grasp the simplicity of how the state of the pitch is relelvant. We might as well stop now.

The hurlers and footballers..have to put up with this. Day to day, and be expected to at least get to an AI final.
They wont a mediator. Which is a good sign at least.