McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on November 11, 2008, 10:45:30 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 11, 2008, 09:38:35 PM
Sure Reillers...go back to your club and forget about it. It's not worth getting all worked up.

He's not pissing off the rest of us I can tell you that. It's easy to understand why someone so close to the inner circle like yourself dismisses the sheer amount of support that GMcC has behind him. The validity of your opinions are compromised.
Why do ye constantly think I'm close to the team.
McCarthy does have a lot of support, I can see why, but I can also see that he's playing it about.
No ones questioned his motives.

He's addamant, hell bent on keeping a job that he had to be forced into taking back in 2006 when people who wanted it, deserved it, men who were part of the winning, succesfull system were so blatantly and rudely overlooked. That was the first slap from the board who were fighting back.
He's staying on, he said he'd stay on despite needing a mediator to clear the air between himself and the players, they needed a faciitator to just get to the end of the year.
EVERYONE thought that he was gone, finished, there was no way, after the results we've had, and the need of help from a mediator to get through a season was needed, not one person thought that he'd get the job, or even want the job again. But despite all of that it was offered to him and I think, out of spite took it, because the players had hurt him to ask him not to go for the job again because he, along with them, knew it wasn't working, but he took it anyway, because he's never backed down from anything in his life. They are purely selfish reasons in my view.
He promised the players that nothing would change when he became manager, nothing but the names of the guys in charge and on the panel. But it all change, training got shite, slow, there was a lot of standing around, and everytime the players said it to him, he'd change it for about a week or so and go back to it again.
I think there were a lot of personal, spiteful reasons he took the job, that he really, really didn't want in 2006.
And now suddenly he's got a grand plan for Cork hurling, bull.

He's a victim of circumstances but he's not totally inocent in all of this, and he's playing the media and the public like a violin. And people are falling for it, and not only that they are criticising the players going to the media when they haven't, while Gerald is off doing the same thing but better/worse..depending on the way you look at it.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on November 11, 2008, 11:32:09 PM
Sure Reillers...go back to your club and forget about it. It's not worth getting all worked up.

He's not pissing off the rest of us I can tell you that. It's easy to understand why someone so close to the inner circle like yourself dismisses the sheer amount of support that GMcC has behind him. The validity of your opinions are compromised.
McCarthy does have a lot of support, I can see why, but I can also see that he's playing it about.

He's addamant, hell bent on keeping a job that he had to be forced into taking back in 2006 when people who wanted it, deserved it, men who were part of the winning, succesfull system were so blatantly and rudely overlooked. That was the first slap from the board who were fighting back.
He's staying on, he said he'd stay on despite needing a mediator to clear the air between himself and the players, they needed a faciitator to just get to the end of the year.
EVERYONE thought that he was gone, finished, there was no way, after the results we've had, and the need of help from a mediator to get through a season was needed, not one person thought that he'd get the job, or even want the job again. But despite all of that it was offered to him and I think, out of spite took it, because the players had hurt him to ask him not to go for the job again because he, along with them, knew it wasn't working, but he took it anyway, because he's never backed down from anything in his life. They are purely selfish reasons in my view.
He promised the players that nothing would change when he became manager, nothing but the names of the guys in charge and on the panel. But it all change, training got shite, slow, there was a lot of standing around, and everytime the players said it to him, he'd change it for about a week or so and go back to it again. I think there were a lot of personal, spiteful reasons he took the job, that he really, really didn't want in 2006.

He's a victim of circumstances but he's not totally inocent in all of this, and he's playing the media and the public like a violin. And people are falling for it, and not only that they are criticising the players going to the media when they haven't, while Gerald is off doing the same thing but better/worse..depending on the way you look at it.

You're well informed ! By the way, how come you have amassed so much information that would only be known to the panel ?? Are you on the panel ?

Were you a sub by any chance ??????????

theskull1

The reality Reillers (and you really should have cottoned onto this by now) is that the vast majority of GAA folk have had it with the main protaganists in the Cork team and are supporting Gerard McCarthy 100% for being man enough to stand up to them and put them in their place for the good of the GAA throughout the country. This ultra miltant type of player power has to be faced down. If you one of those players then walk away, that type of self centred mindset is not what has made the GAA what it is today. Gerard McCarthy is a hero because he is fighting for ideals which the vast vast majority of us hold true. The hearts and minds have been won in this debate .The arguments in your posts are irrelevant in all of this.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Donal Og is away on a 2 week holiday to Zambia.

However he will help the needy by lending his skills as an electrician to a project out there.

Very nice of him. It shows that Donal Og is a lovely fella and isn't the villain that he is sometimes portrayed.

( I read this in the Independent this morning - I am in no way suggesting that this is spin to garner public sympathy for the strike. ).

;)

cornafean

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2008, 09:15:46 AM

You're well informed ! By the way, how come you have amassed so much information that would only be known to the panel ?? Are you on the panel ?

If you compile a list of the small cast of characters that have been central to this particular drama, while keeping Reillers' username in the back of your mind, you should have a very good idea of who he is.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2008, 09:15:46 AM
Quote from: Reillers on November 11, 2008, 11:32:09 PM

He promised the players that nothing would change when he became manager, nothing but the names of the guys in charge and on the panel. But it all change, training got shite, slow, there was a lot of standing around, and everytime the players said it to him, he'd change it for about a week or so and go back to it again. I think there were a lot of personal, spiteful reasons he took the job, that he really, really didn't want in 2006.

Because I read what they have to say, unlike ye. I look at it ye just run down a black tunell presumings things despite hitting a dead end, ye run smack into a wall and refuse to stop.

They've said it, again and again but like I said ye wont give them the time of day, ye refuse to listen or in this case read what's said.

Ye refuse to read anything positive about them, anything that would show them in the good light, because like I said, Gerald is playing such a blinder with the media that the general public, most people who couldn't be arsed reading what the players have to say or what people who are backing the players with something to say.

I will find that article that says it if you like.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2008, 09:23:45 AM

However he will help the needy by lending his skills as an electrician to a project out there.

Very nice of him. It shows that Donal Og is a lovely fella and isn't the villain that he is sometimes portrayed.

( I read this in the Independent this morning - I am in no way suggesting that this is spin to garner public sympathy for the strike. ).

;)

You accuse people of not reading things ???????

Open your eyes man and your mind ! There's more going on in the world than yet another Cork players' strike.

I have commended Donal Og for his charity work - what more do you want me to do ? Join the picket line ?

Reillers

You just asked me where I was getting the info from, accusing me of being one of the players, that the only reason I'd know that is because I most be involved with the panel of players. When really all you have to do is read an article or two from the papers that have some backing of the players, or show some truth, instead of getting to the second line, seeing something positive being said about them and going feck this, bloody players and closing the paper. Refusing to read it.

But you just clearly highlighted that you haven't been listening to a single word the playeres have said, proof of that is in the post above. You'll read McCarthy pov or jounralists who give them a hard time but you refuse to give the players a second of your day because "There's more going on in the world than yet another Cork players' strike."

They've been saying it for ages, but no one is listening because they are too busy giving sympathy to Gerald. Which is all good and well but they fail to see his little roll in all of this, how he's making it ten times worse every time he's opening his mouth to the media, which is almost on a daily basis at this stage, he's playing a blinder with the media, so people fail to see what's really going on and what it's really about. Gerald Mac still thinks that this is all about him, when it never really was.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on November 12, 2008, 09:23:45 AM

;)

Can you read this please - read it slowly - you seem to have a problem with my commendation of Donal Og.

theskull1

Quote from: theskull1 on November 12, 2008, 09:22:52 AM
The reality Reillers (and you really should have cottoned onto this by now) is that the vast majority of GAA folk have had it with the main protaganists in the Cork team and are supporting Gerard McCarthy 100% for being man enough to stand up to them and put them in their place for the good of the GAA throughout the country. This ultra miltant type of player power has to be faced down. If you're one of those type of players then walk away, that type of self centred mindset is not what has made the GAA what it is today. Gerard McCarthy is a hero because he is fighting for ideals which the vast vast majority of us hold true. The hearts and minds have been won in this debate .The arguments in your posts are irrelevant in all of this.

Reillers ...save your breath (or writers cramp).
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Reillers

Quote from: theskull1 on November 12, 2008, 09:22:52 AM
The reality Reillers (and you really should have cottoned onto this by now) is that the vast majority of GAA folk have had it with the main protaganists in the Cork team and are supporting Gerard McCarthy 100% for being man enough to stand up to them and put them in their place for the good of the GAA throughout the country. This ultra miltant type of player power has to be faced down. If you one of those players then walk away, that type of self centred mindset is not what has made the GAA what it is today. Gerard McCarthy is a hero because he is fighting for ideals which the vast vast majority of us hold true. The hearts and minds have been won in this debate .The arguments in your posts are irrelevant in all of this.

But (though ye refuse to see it) is exactly what the players are doing. These lads, this group of core players changed hurling for the better in 2002. They fought back against this bully that is the CCB..mainly Murphy. They treated them like absolute crap, like nothing better then what you'd find at the bottom of your shoe. There is an attitude in GAA that players should shut up or put up. It's been like that for years, but now because the GAA is pretty much professional in everything but name it's unfair to ask the players to do that, they put too much time and effort and sacrifice into it all, to be expected to shut up, to not say a word about being trated like absolute crap and still be expected to go out and win the AI every year is too much and unfair. Cork aren't the only team that have been treated badly but are the only ones who've stood up.

So they stood up and were backed largely by everyone, and got what they needed and deserved and the board has despised them from that very day on, but the O Grady-Allen era was fantastic, successful, 4 final appearences in A ROW and 2 wins, even KK can't beat that..(yet.)
But the board, when they looked at this, didn't see success, no they saw something which they felt wasn't good enough, why, simply because they weren't involved in at all, and that made their head spin. Because the players, and rightly so, felt that the wins were inspite of the board, which they were. So they didn't to the horror of players and staff even glance at the contenders behind the scenes in Cork hurling, no no, they wanted a man they could control, not someone like Cunningham, despite being higly recomended by Allen himself, they wanted a clean break, they wanted the power back so they forced McCarthy into taking the job without even a phone call or an interview to the backroom team.

Blood Brothers is supposed to be one of the books to buy this Christmas, it is supposed to be amazing, revealing, people who didn't speak up do in this, Ger Cunningham is one,

"Cunningham himself is quoted for the first time on this subject in 'Blood Brothers', revealing "None of us (selectors) got a phone call to say thanks. We worked hard, it was finishing and we were walking away, but the dismissiveness ... it was as if you didn't exist."

McCarthy's appointment was interpreted by the players as a county board attempt to rein them in and that complicated the new manager's position from the off. He was, essentially, operating in a climate of suspicion."

They are paranoid and so they should be because the board made them so.

Since 2006, things have been alarmingly different. When Allen stepped down the "Empire began to strike back." From the second Gerald McCarthy was appointed was when the CB began to claw back every piece of power it gave away to the players in 2002. The players have said this and it's fallen on deaf ears, because all they see and rightly so I most admit is poor old Gerald.
The way things are going, they are flying back to the way things were in 2002, where nothing gets done, and the players are treated appauling and get no say in the matter, becuase God forbid they tell the truth, but this saga, couldn't have gone better for the board.
The media and everyone bar one or two up and down the country are anti player, Gerald is playing a blinder with the media, everyone believes him and the players are seen as whinging spoilt brats who are power hungry, who want to pick the manager, when in reality that's all wrong.

Because the players are loosing the press battle so blatantly people refuse to give them the time of day, they refuse to read the fine print, and unravel the truth in all of this.

The players never wanted a 5-2 on the board, they never wanted to be a part of that process,
The players do not want to pick the manager themselves, they've said it but again becuase they've lost the media war no one will listen.
The players at the start of it all said they wouldn't play if McCarthy was reinstated because they believe, they know, that it wasn't done properely and was done with only one reason in mind, to get rid of the core of senior players. But that goes unnoticed as well, the fact that the man who had done, all due respect to him, a terrible job, had a pathetic relationship with the players, they needed a facilitator to just get to the end of the year, to clear the air, but he was reinstated anyway..and yet people ignore that, and keep going bloody players.

So McCarthy is getting more and more support, the players are getting more and more grief, their claims which are horrifying but true fall on deaf ears, and the board aren't going to do a thing about it except sit back and laugh because their plan couldn't be working any better.

McCarthy said he wont walk away, he's only a pawn in this but sadly he doesn't see it because they'll wash his hands of him the second they get the chance to. The board aren't going to do a thing about it, they'll watch and wait for the spikiest team in the country to walk away with no support and then finally they'll have their victory, control over success, what they always wanted.

And in all of this, the most blatantly obvious thing again goes unnoticed..where is good old Frank.

Frank Murphy, surprise, surprise, hasn't said a word and his silence is deafening. But because ye are so hell bent on laying into the players ye really can't see it.
What you think is exactly what the common GAA supporter thinks, what they want you to think, that Gerald's a hero and that the players are self centred and that Gerald's putting them in their place. All that's doing is killing Cork GAA, at county level and grassroots more and more because as soon as these players are gone, no one will be left to fight the CB and their vice grip on Cork will continue with no one in place to challenge it, because the brave 30 plus players will hold no water, this is bigger then loosing to bloody Kilkenny it is about the welfare of Cork GAA itself, the only people who have the best intentions of Cork at heart are the players and when ye finally see it it'll be too late because by then the board will have complete control with no one to challege them and Cork will go no where but the board will be happy because at least they have their power back which is all they ever wanted.
But Gerald's a hero right, because what, he's "standing up to bullies"..what the hell do ye think the players have been doing for the last 6 plus years..I honestly dread to think what it'll be like when they're gone because, no one will do a thing. And even the manager will be wraped around their little finger because they backed him and he owes them one.
Gerald will be destroyed along with the rest of Cork GAA. We have no future while this board is in place and the only people who stand up to them are hated and have no backing.

"The Cork hurlers have been in this place before. They must have realised at the outset they were not going to win much public sympathy in their latest stance. They probably knew that regardless of the complexities of their dissatisfaction with the managerial appointment process, it would appear to outsiders as though a series of heavyweight Cork hurling stars were ganging up to get rid of Gerald McCarthy, a likeable man with a long and impeccable sports career."

"Across the land, the Gaels watch and they grow uncomfortable and they decide the Cork hurling crowd are too big for their boots; that they need to be taught some manners. Anyone with an ounce of empathy will sympathise with the lonely, impossible place that Gerald McCarthy finds himself now. And yet anyone who has spent any time with the Cork hurlers at the centre of this dispute will know bullying is alien to their psyche. The hurling life of Donal Óg Cusack is strewn with garlands and brickbats - often thrown from the same hands. The Cloyne man has a belief system that holds dear both the traditional reverence for the parish and home place along with an unapologetic belief in the advancement of player's rights. He is often vilified and can sometimes be his own worst enemy. But you only have to spend an hour in Cusack's company to understand he is burningly sincere and passionate about what he feels to be right - regardless of the tide of public opinion."

"The Cork County Board, meanwhile, dissembles surprise at the current troubles and backs McCarthy to the hilt in the hope that if he takes three or four senior players down with him when he goes the trouble will have been worth it."

Blaming players is easy. Time for some big people to stand up for what is right. Time to make sure that this is the last time a group of players who have given so much to the Cork jersey feel that they have to put themselves in the stockades for a while to make progress.
"

This isn't player power, this is a desperate last attempt to rescue Cork GAA by the players. And people who are supporting Gerald 100% who refuse to look at it in this light are only contributing to the down fall of Cork and no one will realise it till it's too late, they are backing Gerald for what they see are the right reasons but most GAA fans don't see that or who they are really backing in all of this..the CB, McCarthy is just a pawn kept in in hope that when he leaves he'll bring some of the senior players down with him. The board have little intention to keep him and watch them throw him on his ass after the first loss.

johnneycool

Quote from: Reillers on November 12, 2008, 03:14:26 PM

So McCarthy is getting more and more support, the players are getting more and more grief, their claims which are horrifying but true fall on deaf ears, and the board aren't going to do a thing about it except sit back and laugh because their plan couldn't be working any better.

I'd hope to god that these 'horrifying claims' are a bit more than slow training drills and no pasta for a Waterford crystal tournament game.

Are you in a positon to share them with us?

antoinse

orangeman

youngfella

Pull hard and early