McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Mc Carthy's statement is quite concilatory - Maybe now the players will realise that they need to be take stock and ask themselves the question - do I want to hurl for Cork next year ? If they do, they're going the wrong way about it.

Tatler Jack

theskull1

One major issue here is that in any amateur orginisation the structures and functioning of them do not always work as they are intended. Problem is through finding enough people with the time energy drive and charisma to shake the system and get it working better. Donal Og Sean Og and the like are all perfectionist with a VERY professional mindset. They EXPECT the system to be perfect for THEM. Because it isn't they do not possess the right communication skills to influence change in a proper way whilst understanding that it will never be perfect perfect and sometimes you have to go with it and control what you can control. At the minute they have reacted like children to this unperfect system which we all live because of this blinkered obession with their own hurling careers and think everybody with influence within the CCB should be jumping to their tune. There is NEVER a perfect solution to these realities. So what do you do when you are faced with these realities. You either try and influence change from the inside and do what you can do to be part of the change or you walk away. Donal Og and the boys have went for revolution without ever looking behind them to actually see who wants one. Idiolistic niave players may well see the beauty in standing up to such poor governence, but that is it. The army of numbers required to bring about change is too great. So I suggest Donal Og and the rest opf the players actually think about how they think in reality there is actually going to be anything good come out of what they are doing? Either for themselves or future generations of Cork hurlers? Because they have lost the argument in the hearts and minds of the rest of the country no matter how principled they think their stand is to the injustices the feel. They really are in a shameful place right now. Surely just walking away ...end of argument...... is the right thing to do at this stage?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

INDIANA

The players really have lost the public vote on this one. Early in the debate i had some sympathy for the players but reading through the 13 points today, i could find myself agreeing with them on less than 35%. What has started out as the players wanting to get rid of Mc Carthy, it now involves structures,setup,clubs,processes etc. I believe if the players had of stuck to their original argument of M carthy not being up to the job , they might have got somewhere. I've read every newspaper article in the past 10days on this subject, and the strike has become so varied and all encompassing that it appears the only way some of the players will come back is that if they can run Cork Gaa themselves.
What has started has players v managervCB has spiralled out of control into a monster no-one can control. And the players have lost control of the debate. They've been slaughtered in the PR stakes. The county board would also want to ask themselves whether Cork Gaa is more important than not liking some players.
I actually feel sorry for Mc Carthy, regardless of his status of  a manager, he's been pillioried in the media in a way that I find extremely distasteful. In my view the blame for the impasse is firmly at the door's of the players and Mc Carthy. What exactly do the players want anymore? Is it about Mc Carthy, young players, structures, setup, club games? because i can't figure it out anymore.
Only someone from a mental institutuion would want to deal with the Cork county board or the players as a manager

INDIANA

Quote from: INDIANA on November 07, 2008, 06:59:41 PM
The players really have lost the public vote on this one. Early in the debate i had some sympathy for the players but reading through the 13 points today, i could find myself agreeing with them on less than 35%. What has started out as the players wanting to get rid of Mc Carthy, it now involves structures,setup,clubs,processes etc. I believe if the players had of stuck to their original argument of M carthy not being up to the job , they might have got somewhere. I've read every newspaper article in the past 10days on this subject, and the strike has become so varied and all encompassing that it appears the only way some of the players will come back is that if they can run Cork Gaa themselves.
What has started has players v managervCB has spiralled out of control into a monster no-one can control. And the players have lost control of the debate. They've been slaughtered in the PR stakes. The county board would also want to ask themselves whether Cork Gaa is more important than not liking some players.
I actually feel sorry for Mc Carthy, regardless of his status of  a manager, he's been pillioried in the media in a way that I find extremely distasteful. In my view the blame for the impasse is firmly at the door's of the players and the cork county board. What exactly do the players want anymore? Is it about Mc Carthy, young players, structures, setup, club games? because i can't figure it out anymore.
Only someone from a mental institutuion would want to deal with the Cork county board or the players as a manager

Lecale2

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2008, 06:55:53 PM
One major issue here is that in any amateur orginisation the structures and functioning of them do not always work as they are intended. Problem is through finding enough people with the time energy drive and charisma to shake the system and get it working better. Donal Og Sean Og and the like are all perfectionist with a VERY professional mindset. They EXPECT the system to be perfect for THEM. Because it isn't they do not possess the right communication skills to influence change in a proper way whilst understanding that it will never be perfect perfect and sometimes you have to go with it and control what you can control. At the minute they have reacted like children to this unperfect system which we all live because of this blinkered obession with their own hurling careers and think everybody with influence within the CCB should be jumping to their tune. There is NEVER a perfect solution to these realities. So what do you do when you are faced with these realities. You either try and influence change from the inside and do what you can do to be part of the change or you walk away. Donal Og and the boys have went for revolution without ever looking behind them to actually see who wants one. Idiolistic niave players may well see the beauty in standing up to such poor governence, but that is it. The army of numbers required to bring about change is too great. So I suggest Donal Og and the rest opf the players actually think about how they think in reality there is actually going to be anything good come out of what they are doing? Either for themselves or future generations of Cork hurlers? Because they have lost the argument in the hearts and minds of the rest of the country no matter how principled they think their stand is to the injustices the feel. They really are in a shameful place right now. Surely just walking away ...end of argument...... is the right thing to do at this stage?

The Skull1 - Well said. I have to say that sums it up for me. I do a bit for my club & county but I know full well that it isn't up to the standard that some well paid consultant could deliver if we paid him/her enough. I do my best in my spare time. So do the officials in Cork.

Top of the hill

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 07, 2008, 08:49:32 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2008, 06:55:53 PM

The Skull1 - Well said. I have to say that sums it up for me. I do a bit for my club & county but I know full well that it isn't up to the standard that some well paid consultant could deliver if we paid him/her enough. I do my best in my spare time. So do the officials in Cork.

Do you mean Cork's Frank Murphy?  ;)

According to some sources he is nothing short of the devil himself incarnate and the root cause of all thing evil in Cork GAA circles.  >:(
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

the green man

Christ boys, theres a fair few men jumping on the high horse here. If your'e not from Cork or live there, how can you pass judgement.  The Cork boys might know the ins and outs, the rest of us certainly wont know anything, for by what we're told in the press. Time to wind some necks in.

theskull1

Read the AFR website greenman. The majority of Cork posters are backing Gerard McCarthy. Recent polls have 71% support McCarthy 22% players 7% undecided. I have every right to give my "far off" opinions. Choose to ignore me if you want.

And by the way ...if we believed everything the press told us, we'd all be behind the players

the green man

Skull, I'm only thinking that if there was this kind of forum in 94, what people would have thought of the Derry players striking at that time. There is loads that went on behind the scenes over Coleman then that even Derry men dont know. If Cork boys or the likes from far of, were on slagging Derry players, I'd be none too happy.

Us boys up here dont know the full story, and we never will. What if the Antrim hurlers went on strike and KerryMike or someone similar came on here calling Ally Elliot or Dick O'Kane a w**ker(for example). They'd know nothing about it, only what they hear through the press.

I'm not pro Cork players here, but maybe maybe its better to hold your judgement once the whole truth comes out. If it ever comes out.

Top of the hill

Sorry greenman, i thought this was a discussion board. my mistake.  :-[

Everyone on here is entitled to post whatever they want (within the rules obviously), regardless of which side they are backing. I agree that some of the post are at the extreme end of the spectrum from all sides but if anyone thinks they are inappropriate or offensive they can always report those posters to the mods.

As for reserving judgement, are you going to post on all the threads and tell everyone not to be putting forth their opinions until the whole truth of whatever topic is being discussed comes out? There is an abundance of information available to anyone who wants to access it which puts forwards all sides of this story. At least credit the posters with enough intelligence to form their own opinions based on the information available rather than just believing what they are told in the press.
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

theskull1

Greenman...if a hoard of poster were calling DogC & SogH wankers then I'd agree that those people should wind their neck in. They're not so...?

As I've said the players have made good use of the press so you can't say they haven't got their message accross. As long as people put forward their views and reasons for having them in a respectful manner then I don't see why you or anybody else should have a problem with it.

And to even consider the possibility that there will be one definitive truth at the end of all this is delusional IMO. There are too many complexities to this which will make absolute truths impossible. But regardless of this I can still say that the stance that the players have taken is sickening and to me and alot of other people

the green man

Skull, was billy the kid not calling these boys that?  My point was that if people were calling Tohill or Downey a w**ker in 94, I'd be the first man trying to back them up. Likewise I'm sure, if boys were calling Antrim men w**ks, you'd be backing them up as well.

Top of the Hill, I'm sorry for doubting you, but saying as you seem to know so much about he Cork dispute, maybe you can list the pros and cons for each debate.

Again may I state that i'm not backing the players here at all.

theskull1

Reillers has CONTINUALLY tried to ridicule myself and many other contributers through name calling simply because we didn't see his point of view (a view not shared by many a cork man it has to be said) so please try and be a bit more even handed with the self righteousness theres a good fellow

the green man

Is Reillers not a Cork man? Would he not know more about it than us?

Even if he he calls you a c**k or a p***k or a ****. At the end of the day like, he knows more about it than you or me.