McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy the kid

Quote from: Reillers on November 07, 2008, 02:03:28 PM
Quote from: billy the kid on November 07, 2008, 01:12:18 PM

1- I think people who fail to listen to the overwhelming view that's growing, to hard cold facts, to the people who know whats going on inside, to articles about what's really going on, to interviews and statements about what's going on all saying the same thing.

2- Then a few idiots come on and despite what everyone and everything has said contridicating the fact ye turn around and, despite what the actual fact is, say the exact opposite, coming out with crap like they're doing it for the money or like really don't care about the future of Cork GAA and are only a "bunch of w**ks"..despite the overwhelming growing evidence of the fact that they actually care.

3- God forbid that you could be wrong, or someone disagrees with you.

4- Ps. What is this, Dear Diary??
I dont believe this strike has the issue of Pay for play at its heart and I dont really think that anyone else on here does either.  
However it was interesting to note Gardiners comment on it but it is hardly surprising as the dogs in the street already knew that was the ultimate goal of the GPA, and as someone who is very strongly against Pay for play I cant help but wonder will this be what the next strike will be about in a year or 2??"

I firmly believe that it was a slip of the tounge, a way to finish the sentence, that they are not with everything on their plates at the minute, interested in even going near the word pay for play.
I really haven't a clue what the GPA are up to and Cork players do not run the GPA!!
The Cork players are striking for the good of Cork's future not some stupid pay for play, this is why I call you an idiot because of half whitt comments like that. It's got NOTHING to do with money it's about the CB destroying Cork hurling.
Really how many more times does it have to be said.

There you go again Reillers  ::) throwing out the childish insults and lambasting anyone who dares to question the motives or actions of the Cork hurlers. You whinge about the rest of us being unable to debate and be reasonable yet your the one acting like a 8 year old in the play ground. Its hard to debate with someone who has blinkers on and calls anyone who disagrees with them half, brains or stupid or ignorant just becasuse they dont share their point of view.

1-  You keep going on about this overwhelming view thats growing and your right, but its an overwhelming view thats growing against the strike. You are the only poster on here who thinks any sort of a majority never mind an overwhelming majority supports yous. Not even GAA or Zulu think that going by their posts.

2- There you go again "I said it so its a fact" and a little more overwhelming thrown in for good measure. Tell me, if you said McCain won the USA election would that mean that Obama wouldnt get in since you only speak facts.

3- God forbid someone disagrees with you, that would make them half brained, ignorant, stupid, senseless and unreasonable - and since everything you say is fact it would be automatically true.

4- Can you not read? The one thing we appear to agree on  (its not about pay for play) and you are even more insulting and childish than you already have been.  I have changed my mind, I still think you are a Cork hurler, but probably an U14.

Are you Donal Ogs son/Daughter.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Reillers

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2008, 02:13:52 PM
You still refuse to engage in any debate, instead you simply regurgitate your opinion with little factual support. What is your point about Cork's recent record? You seem to be suggesting that they haven't won an AI in the last 3 years because they are a team in decline and are trying to deflect the blame from themselves onto Gerald McCarthy by going on strike. I don't think anyone would buy that and most supporters would question a management team that has failed to win any silverware with a team loaded with AI winners. Anyway as Reillers has pointed out this isn't about Gerald McCarthy, the players are undoubtedly unhappy with him but it is the process that led to his reappointment that is fueling the player's fire. I have posed many questions about the CCB and neither you nor anyone else has answered them (that I'm aware of) so I'll ask you, OM, one more time. Why wasn't there at least one other candidate for the Cork job? I presume you don't know but I'm wondering if it doesn't raise some questions as to validity of the process in your mind.

QuoteWhy would a proud Corkman like Frank Murphy knowingly allow Cork hurling to die on its feet and why would club delegates allow Frank to do so?
Maybe he's got that in-built Cork arrogance that suggests that Cork have been hurling this way for over 100 years and it's done them no harm so why change now or is he a bit of a control freak where the only good ideas come from him?
i only know the persona put out in the press and as he was against the opening of Croke park, he's a 'dinosaur' in their eyes but he must do some good ultimately or the clubs would be turning on him by now.

I think that has a lot to do with it and I also think that he is a control freak (though I haven't any personal experience of this). I do however have personal experience of dealing with older GAA man in situations of power who won't allow younger more knowledgeable individuals leeway to enact change. Both Tyrone and Kilkenny seem to have progressive people involved at various levels who allow people who are experts in their field to work away, in Cork it seems the CB want to run everything even when they haven't a notion what they are talking about.

The bottom line is players want to play and want to be successful, they would only repeatedly strike like this if something very rotten was at the core of Cork GAA. For lads to come on here with absolutely no evidence and suggest that players are doing this for money, their position on the team or some other such notion is rubbish

I agree..Don't bother though, it's a waste of time, half don't listen then the likes of Billy the kid..(ironic)..think we're actually players..because God forbid we support them, we most have some agenda, there most be some sort of explanation for going aganst what they think..oh yes, there's the one, we're players..apparently.

And as for the money thing, sure all the evidence in the world is in one word..moment, that was the green flag for Jim, Joe and John to go beserk and bitch away about Cork players wanting money, all because of one word..surely like that's enough evidence.  ::) ::)..(that was sarcasim, just thought I should point it out to one or two who might need that extra hand.)

Reillers

Quote from: billy the kid on November 07, 2008, 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: Reillers on November 07, 2008, 02:03:28 PM
Quote from: billy the kid on November 07, 2008, 01:12:18 PM

1- I think people who fail to listen to the overwhelming view that's growing, to hard cold facts, to the people who know whats going on inside, to articles about what's really going on, to interviews and statements about what's going on all saying the same thing.

2- Then a few idiots come on and despite what everyone and everything has said contridicating the fact ye turn around and, despite what the actual fact is, say the exact opposite, coming out with crap like they're doing it for the money or like really don't care about the future of Cork GAA and are only a "bunch of w**ks"..despite the overwhelming growing evidence of the fact that they actually care.

3- God forbid that you could be wrong, or someone disagrees with you.

4- Ps. What is this, Dear Diary??
I dont believe this strike has the issue of Pay for play at its heart and I dont really think that anyone else on here does either.  
However it was interesting to note Gardiners comment on it but it is hardly surprising as the dogs in the street already knew that was the ultimate goal of the GPA, and as someone who is very strongly against Pay for play I cant help but wonder will this be what the next strike will be about in a year or 2??"

I firmly believe that it was a slip of the tounge, a way to finish the sentence, that they are not with everything on their plates at the minute, interested in even going near the word pay for play.
I really haven't a clue what the GPA are up to and Cork players do not run the GPA!!
The Cork players are striking for the good of Cork's future not some stupid pay for play, this is why I call you an idiot because of half whitt comments like that. It's got NOTHING to do with money it's about the CB destroying Cork hurling.

There you go again Reillers  ::) throwing out the childish insults and lambasting anyone who dares to question the motives or actions of the Cork hurlers. You whinge about the rest of us being unable to debate and be reasonable yet your the one acting like a 8 year oldCute I said 12, you say 8, use your imagination, even though tv's destroyed it for your generation I suppose so I'll ignore it..it's cute though. in the play ground. Its hard to debate with someone who has blinkers on and calls anyone who disagrees with them half, brains or stupid or ignorant just becasuse they dont share their point of view.

OMG..READ MY BLOODY POST..and you wonder why I called you an idiot.

1-  You keep going on about this overwhelming view thats growing and your right, but its an overwhelming view thats growing against the strike. You are the only poster on here who thinks any sort of a majority never mind an overwhelming majority supports yous. Not even GAA or Zulu think that going by their posts.
I've no idea where you got that from..see point above in my post, not like you read it, you don't read what's infront of you, only what you want to see.

2- There you go again "I said it so its a fact" and a little more overwhelming thrown in for good measure. Tell me, if you said McCain won the USA election would that mean that Obama wouldnt get in since you only speak facts.
I've given you fact to back it up, you've thrown it back in my face, telling me it's not good enough. I asked you a simple question (many simple questions which you failed to anwer) which you didn't answer, what do you count as good fact.

3- God forbid someone disagrees with you, that would make them half brained, ignorant, stupid, senseless and unreasonable - and since everything you say is fact it would be automatically true.
No, again read my post.

4- Can you not read? The one thing we appear to agree on  (its not about pay for play) and you are even more insulting and childish than you already have been.  I have changed my mind, I still think you are a Cork hurler, but probably an U14.
Can I not read what exactly..what's this insult about.

Are you Donal Ogs son/Daughter.
OMG..grow the hell up. No, no I'm not.

I've asked you questions, I've made points in my posts which you've clearly ignored, will you please answer them. This is beyond childish and boring at this stage, when you're ready yo actually debate something instead of whinging and crying at my posts, which you don't even read..you see what you want to see and it's absolutely hillarious then to hear you talk about my "blinkers" and "credibility". Whenever you're done acting like a child who refuses to read my posts, let me know.

theskull1

Zulu

Any chance you could send Reillers a PM and tell him to wind his fargin neck in?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

billy the kid

Reillersd I read your "bloody post" thats where i cut and pasted points 1 - 4 from.

Again you are demonstrating your inability to debate without resorting to childish insults

And it would appear you cant read.

I even highlighted in Red the bits I was referring to from your post.

You quote the bit where I stated that the strike isnt about Pay for play, then proceed to name call (as only you can in an adult discussion board) and then start on about ...for the last time its not about pay for play, as if I had said it was. 

Here is the bit I Quoted from YOUR post where your reading age comes into question. Enjoy ;D ;D

If it moves hit it

Zulu

Well I'm not reading all the posts and there does seem to be a bit of abusive arguing rather than reasoned debate between some posters but to be honest I can understand Reillers frustration. I stayed out of this argument because we did this all last year and I didn't want to rehash everything again but the nature of the abuse from some posters about the players forced my hand. Too many lads came on here calling the players this, that and the other thing without a shred of evidence and when questions are asked of them they have no answers. I find that very frustrating and it leads to abusive arguing rather than civilised debate, ironically not unlike the Cork situation

orangeman

Was everybody on the same page in from 2002 to 2006 ?

What happened in 2006 ? Beaten by a better team - that's what happened -
What happened in 2007 ? Semplegate and a better Waterford side and a team in decline.
What happened in 2008 ? A team in more decline.
What will happen in 2009 ? Maybe these Crok lads know they're coming to the end and want a big smokescreen to deflect attention away from them and onto the manager and the board - maybe that's unfair but if I were them, I'd be in a gym training like mad and giving themselves a target of another AI final where they can go down as the only team to consistently compete with and beat the Cats ( the best team ever ) on a consistent basis. This nakes Cork a very good side and I think their could be a dying kick in them as a team but they're going the wrong way about it.

Zulu

You do realise you have posted the exact same post twice, don't you?

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Reillers on November 07, 2008, 01:22:28 PM
There is no way that this KK side is the best ever team to play the game, that's media crap. There are sevceral better teams who won just as many if not more AIs in a row playing real hurling now the shite the play..but a wins a win, and you do what you have to to win, and I've had taken a win in 06 if meant playing that way. What happened in 06 is that KK figured out how to stop Cork's play, not some miraculous miracle where a team was formed and became the best ever to grace our lands, but simple pure tactics..how, because Cody is the best manager in the country.

Without Cody the Kilkenny team wouldn't be half the team they are today. He's able to give the impression that everyone's droppable, which is bull there are players on that team that would never no matter what form, be dropped.
They are like any other team, and either this year, or next..one or the other the team will reach the end of the road. They peaked in the 08 final and there's only one way to go from that.
Cody makes them who they are. If Cody was at Cork or Tipp..etc same thing would have happened. to an extent.

fair play Reillers. Kilkenny are shite. That really needed to be said but its a wee bit taboo. Fair play for you in showing the backbone not to care and say it anyway.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2008, 03:13:55 PM
You do realise you have posted the exact same post twice, don't you?

Do you have a view on where I reckon it went wrong ?

I'd say it's a fair while since Frank Murphy or any of the county board actually hurled for Cork.

Zulu

I'm not sure whether you are talking about the 'strike' or on field failures so I'll give you the reasons for both IMO.

The 'strike' is a result of a dysfunctional relationship between the players and the CB but it is the CB who are repeatedly seeking to antagonize the players (see the appointment of Holland last year and McCarthy this year). FM is not used to people standing up to him and even less used to them winning such battles. So despite being an intelligent man he isn't able to admit when he is bet and will continue this feud to the end.

As for the lack of success on the field, well I'm not sure they would have won an AI over the past 3 years regardless of the support structures but the lack of underage development and the chaotic way the senior set up is being run is a poor reflection on those charged with running Cork GAA.

Top of the hill

Quote from: Reillers on November 07, 2008, 12:58:01 PM
Quote from: Top of the hill on November 07, 2008, 11:32:10 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 10:51:45 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2008, 10:48:34 AM
Quote from: Uladh on November 07, 2008, 10:36:50 AM

You can only be lead if you wish to be KM.

On another point that someone made, the cork footballers will have to suporrt the hurlers given that the hurlers ot the whole jobsorted for them last year and backed them to the hilt.

Aye thats alright if you've a few years behind you Uladh to develop as an individual. Young lads are a bit like sheep and are easily persuaded to do other peoples bidding. I should know...sure wasn't I one myself at a time

I think you're wrong there - Reillers would have us believe that all the Cork club delegates who I assume are not young lads also follow like sheep - surely both can't be true ??

That's exactly the point i can't accept. We are supposed to believe Murphy can control the CCB, but there is no way some of the senior players could influence the younger lads.

This has happened in every panel i have been part of over the years. New young players will not want to stand up in the face of the more "respected" panel members for fear of being ostracised by the rest. It is the case on a club panel and probably more so on a county panel.
You know I make a point and then 3 pages on I've to make it again.
Half of them are prehistoric and great friends with the man himself, the others genuinely feel if they are the first to speak they will be "dealt with,"..like I said earlier, the CCB controls everything in Cork GAA..they can control what refs they get, what games they get which is key to bringing in money..etc.Just lets say if someone was to say something I wouldn't at all surprised to see them suddenly get a raw deal in everything.
The others, a small minority, are honest lads who are there to do their job..which really they're the only ones who are doing it, it's an intimdating place, and it's where the only discussions there are what will we have for tae lads.

How many more times will I have to say it.

Reillers, You can repeat it as many times as you want, i still won't believe that the majority of the CCB are in Murphy's pocket and he can influence how they vote. I don't doubt that there are those who are his cronies and there are others he can influence and there are ones who are genuine. However i see no merit in pressing this any further with you as you will probably just repeat your previous statement and ask how many more times you need to repeat it. One question though, If the majority of CCB delegates are so badly misrepresenting their clubs why do the clubs reappoint them as CCB delegates?

By the way, you keep on about people not actually reading posts on here, if you had read over my last post you would see it is a response to something said by another poster and not directed at you. I did not ask you to repeat yourself. That you felt compelled to do so is your perogative.

As i said before you can repeat yourself as many times as you want - it still won't make me believe you.

. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

cicfada

Full Statement from Gerald McCarthy today:

"For those not directly involved, and for many of us who are, this is becoming a huge bore.

"I have been asked by various media to comment on the Cork players' statement. At this point, I have no intention of doing so, other than to say that each of the points raised by the players can be fully challenged by me.

"But in an attempt to end, for the moment, media calls to me and disruption to my life and business, I will respond in this way. The tone of the players statement says it all, really. The county board is wrong, Gerald McCarthy is wrong but the players are never wrong. They have no responsibilities in all of this. This is just rubbish.

"It would be helpful if those players who are driving this issue were honest enough to acknowledge that the first time this appeared in the media arose when players anonymously fed misinformation directed against me to a number of journalists. That behaviour is fine, apparently. Yet when I defend myself in the media, this small group of players cries "foul". That speaks volumes. If I am attacked as a person or as a coach, I will defend myself.

"If there was a difficulty with coaching then it should have been dealt with as a coaching issue. The players themselves will acknowledge that I am quite open to talk about coaching methods.

"From the time of Cork's last game against Kilkenny, no player ever approached me to discuss my coaching. At no time during the period of the meetings on the appointment of the manager, did any player or player representative come to me to talk about issues with my coaching. Yet when I was appointed, I was asked to stand down. I am not going to do that.

"The great pity of all of this is that a number of interesting coaching team appointments which were to be announced by me are now on hold. Also, proposals that I wished to submit to the Cork county board on the establishment of an academy, a centre of excellence, to radically transform coaching in Cork, to address the challenges we now have as a hurling power, to stop the attrition of talented young players, to support the clubs and to create a community of hurlers between young and former players, are now also on hold.

"There is a really exciting time ahead for young Cork players, I am full of admiration for those who had the courage to speak up for their right to play for Cork at recent players meetings and I hope they stick with it.

"So much of my time - hurling time - for the past few years, has been devoted to 'conflict resolution'. The players have to take responsibility for their role in this and it can't go on. They really should stop portraying themselves as victims of some grand conspiracy against them and get back to playing hurling for Cork. My door is always open to achieve that result."

orangeman

Quote from: cicfada on November 07, 2008, 05:50:08 PM

"For those not directly involved, and for many of us who are, this is becoming a huge bore.

"I have been asked by various media to comment on the Cork players' statement. At this point, I have no intention of doing so, other than to say that each of the points raised by the players can be fully challenged by me.

"But in an attempt to end, for the moment, media calls to me and disruption to my life and business, I will respond in this way. The tone of the players statement says it all, really. The county board is wrong, Gerald McCarthy is wrong but the players are never wrong. They have no responsibilities in all of this. This is just rubbish.
"It would be helpful if those players who are driving this issue were honest enough to acknowledge that the first time this appeared in the media arose when players anonymously fed misinformation directed against me to a number of journalists. That behaviour is fine, apparently. Yet when I defend myself in the media, this small group of players cries "foul". That speaks volumes. If I am attacked as a person or as a coach, I will defend myself.

"If there was a difficulty with coaching then it should have been dealt with as a coaching issue. The players themselves will acknowledge that I am quite open to talk about coaching methods.

"From the time of Cork's last game against Kilkenny, no player ever approached me to discuss my coaching. At no time during the period of the meetings on the appointment of the manager, did any player or player representative come to me to talk about issues with my coaching. Yet when I was appointed, I was asked to stand down. I am not going to do that.

"The great pity of all of this is that a number of interesting coaching team appointments which were to be announced by me are now on hold. Also, proposals that I wished to submit to the Cork county board on the establishment of an academy, a centre of excellence, to radically transform coaching in Cork, to address the challenges we now have as a hurling power, to stop the attrition of talented young players, to support the clubs and to create a community of hurlers between young and former players, are now also on hold.

"There is a really exciting time ahead for young Cork players, I am full of admiration for those who had the courage to speak up for their right to play for Cork at recent players meetings and I hope they stick with it.

"So much of my time - hurling time - for the past few years, has been devoted to 'conflict resolution'. The players have to take responsibility for their role in this and it can't go on. They really should stop portraying themselves as victims of some grand conspiracy against them and get back to playing hurling for Cork. My door is always open to achieve that result."

Nail on the head.

billy the kid

Quote from: cicfada on November 07, 2008, 05:50:08 PM

Theres another nail hit on the head.
If it moves hit it