McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

You can only be lead if you wish to be KM.

On another point that someone made, the cork footballers will have to suporrt the hurlers given that the hurlers ot the whole jobsorted for them last year and backed them to the hilt.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on November 07, 2008, 10:36:50 AM

On another point that someone made, the cork footballers will have to suporrt the hurlers given that the hurlers ot the whole jobsorted for them last year and backed them to the hilt.

Conor Counihan has already informed his players that he will resign if they join with the hurlers so the stakes are raised yet again.

theskull1

Aye thats alright if you've a few years behind you Uladh to develop as an individual. Young lads are a bit like sheep and are easily persuaded to do other peoples bidding. I should know...sure wasn't I one myself at a time
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2008, 10:48:34 AM

Aye thats alright if you've a few years behind you Uladh to develop as an individual. Young lads are a bit like sheep and are easily persuaded to do other peoples bidding. I should know...sure wasn't I one myself at a time

I think you're wrong there - Reillers would have us believe that all the Cork club delegates who I assume are not young lads also follow like sheep - surely both can't be true ??

theskull1

Maybe the CB has a rule that all club delegates must be under 18. In which case we are both right  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Top of the hill

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 10:51:45 AM

I think you're wrong there - Reillers would have us believe that all the Cork club delegates who I assume are not young lads also follow like sheep - surely both can't be true ??

That's exactly the point i can't accept. We are supposed to believe Murphy can control the CCB, but there is no way some of the senior players could influence the younger lads.

This has happened in every panel i have been part of over the years. New young players will not want to stand up in the face of the more "respected" panel members for fear of being ostracised by the rest. It is the case on a club panel and probably more so on a county panel.
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 10:47:59 AM

Conor Counihan has already informed his players that he will resign if they join with the hurlers so the stakes are raised yet again.

Where'd you read that OM?

Zulu

I can understand the skepticism of people regarding Frank Murphy's abilities to get club delegates to support the CB position but all you have to do is look at the track record of club delegates around the country to realise how spineless, incompetent and dishorourable many of them are. Ask yourselves this, if club delegates really represented the views of their clubs and if clubs directed to the CB how their county should be run do you think we would still have club championships yet to be finished? There are numerous examples of the turkey's (club delegates) voting for Christmas each year. I'll give you an example of one such situation involving my own club, we approached a large number of neighbouring clubs with a proposal to get a better structure to the club championship. We wanted a fixture list at the start of the year, a strict enforcement of the 10 day rule before IC games (not 2 months as seemed to be the case), and a few other issues designed to better the lot of the club player. They all agreed to support this prior to the CB meeting but at the meeting only one club actually supported our delegate.

Only someone incredibly niavie or with little understanding of GAA politics could interpret votes in the GAA as being the 'democratic' wish of those who voted, most simply aren't. Votes are often bought for favours and delegates often vote for something out of spite, i.e we won't support this because that shower proposed it (this happens, believe me). I hate the politics that goes on the GAA it is a cancer in our association and the CCB are amongst the very worst in the country.

If you can't believe that some don't have the best interests of the GAA first and foremost then you must have had little dealings with any CB. The reality is that nobody on a CB executive should be picking the IC managers, it should be done by an independent body primarliy made up of people who know what they are talking about (ex players and managers) and then the clubs can accept or reject their nomination.

Someone on this thread said, when referring to the 20 things wrong with Cork GAA, that that is happening in every county and others in lambasting the Cork players used examples of even worse treatment in Derry and Antrim. For f**k sake can ye not see how ridiculous that is? Ye give out about Cork players striking and justify it becasue other players put up with far worse treatment, you couldn't make that up. It isn't player power that the media and internet discussion boards should be debating it is CB incompetence, remember people like Frank Murphy are paid by you and me to run the GAA yet someone can come up with at least 20 more iproblems with Cork GAA outside of their flagship team striking 3 times in 6 years and few on here seem to think the full-time paid officals have serious questions to answer. 'Player power' me hole, it is the least of our worries.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on November 07, 2008, 11:33:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 10:47:59 AM

Where'd you read that OM?

Yesterday's Irish Independent.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 09:38:45 AM
Charlie Carter has an interesting view on the Cork players :

" I find it hard to believe that there are young players in Cork so adamant that they are unwilling to play for a manager some of them have only been involved with for a year.I have no doubt that there is strong pressure being put on them by the more senior, battle hardended players in the squad. Effectively the Cork jersey is being held to ransom once again. To my mind it should be an honour to wear the jersey and that jersey is always something you had on when you are finished with it.  If players aren't happy they should move on but should not stand in the way of others who want to play. The players are really risking a legacy they have created themselves, but clearly they are prepared for that."

You can't really argue with this view which is held by a lot of people, except the Cork players of course.

I read the Charlie Carter article and its obvious that even though he got the wrong side of Cody in his time he knew there was only going to be one outcome and it certainly didn't involve Cody changing tune. As far as he was concerned there was only one boss in the changing room and his word was gospel.

Now could you imagine PJ Ryan or James McGarry ignoring an instruction from Cody not to 'go long' with their puckouts after one has just cost your team a score even if it only a Waterford crystal tournament, they'd be on their way back to club hurling quick pronto.
Some might say it's ok for Cody as he's a good manager but the reason he is a good manager is that things are done his way, not the way his senior players think it should be done, I'm sure he may take their advice but in the end it's still his decision. How could McCarthy change anything with the current crop of players if they are steadfast in the belief that their way of hurling is the right way, it must have been fun in the Cork dressing room this summer with two tunes being played in there!!
If Ger Cunningham was to get the job, would he have to agree with the senior players as well? I find it strange that such a situation could exist or even be successfull? What about the other team members who don't fit the senior players model, I'm sure there is a good few but I suppose they don't command the same column inches and are ignored?

I also find the issues of hurling development within the county now being bandied about as a bit of a smoke screen seemingly thrown up by the players who IMO took the wrong tact by questioning Gerald McCarthy's ability and didn't do themselves any favours in terms of popular support within the county and outside it by doing so. They now realise that and are trying to divert the issue onto Frank and the county board which it should have been at in the first place. Frank is hiding behind Geralds standing as 'legend' (bandied about a bit much this weather) knowing that the battle lines were initially between the players and the manager, exactly what he would have wanted but as an outsider it does seem very strange that he can wield such power and influence in a county with so many clubs

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2008, 11:39:40 AM
I can understand the skepticism of people regarding Frank Murphy's abilities to get club delegates to support the CB position but all you have to do is look at the track record of club delegates around the country to realise how spineless, incompetent and dishorourable many of them are. Ask yourselves this, if club delegates really represented the views of their clubs and if clubs directed to the CB how their county should be run do you think we would still have club championships yet to be finished? There are numerous examples of the turkey's (club delegates) voting for Christmas each year. I'll give you an example of one such situation involving my own club, we approached a large number of neighbouring clubs with a proposal to get a better structure to the club championship. We wanted a fixture list at the start of the year, a strict enforcement of the 10 day rule before IC games (not 2 months as seemed to be the case), and a few other issues designed to better the lot of the club player. They all agreed to support this prior to the CB meeting but at the meeting only one club actually supported our delegate.

Only someone incredibly niavie or with little understanding of GAA politics could interpret votes in the GAA as being the 'democratic' wish of those who voted, most simply aren't. Votes are often bought for favours and delegates often vote for something out of spite, i.e we won't support this because that shower proposed it (this happens, believe me). I hate the politics that goes on the GAA it is a cancer in our association and the CCB are amongst the very worst in the country.

If you can't believe that some don't have the best interests of the GAA first and foremost then you must have had little dealings with any CB. The reality is that nobody on a CB executive should be picking the IC managers, it should be done by an independent body primarliy made up of people who know what they are talking about (ex players and managers) and then the clubs can accept or reject their nomination.

Someone on this thread said, when referring to the 20 things wrong with Cork GAA, that that is happening in every county and others in lambasting the Cork players used examples of even worse treatment in Derry and Antrim. For f**k sake can ye not see how ridiculous that is? Ye give out about Cork players striking and justify it becasue other players put up with far worse treatment, you couldn't make that up. It isn't player power that the media and internet discussion boards should be debating it is CB incompetence, remember people like Frank Murphy are paid by you and me to run the GAA yet someone can come up with at least 20 more iproblems with Cork GAA outside of their flagship team striking 3 times in 6 years and few on here seem to think the full-time paid officals have serious questions to answer. 'Player power' me hole, it is the least of our worries.

Au contraire - it's now one of the biggest worries we have currently - we can't have the tail wagging the dog !

Johnny Cool has made this point very very well in his latest post and has hit quite a few nails on the head.

cornafean

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2008, 11:39:40 AM
Ask yourselves this, if club delegates really represented the views of their clubs and if clubs directed to the CB how their county should be run do you think we would still have club championships yet to be finished?

The key reason why the fixtures lists run so late in so many counties is precisely because of the power of the club delegates in those counties, both in terms of successfully seeking postponements of games for frivolous reasons such as 21sts and stag parties, and also in terms of refusing to field teams unless they have their full complement of county players.

The country is full of clubs who bemoan winter football and year-round fixtures lists but who are very quick to seek postponements whenever it suits them.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Zulu

Not entierly cornafean, though I agree that is also an issue but you'll find in every county some clubs who can get games called off and others who can't. The bottom line here is there are few posters on this board who are even remotely satisfied with their CB that must say something about the system.

QuoteAu contraire - it's now one of the biggest worries we have currently - we can't have the tail wagging the dog !

Nonsense, I've made a lot of points in that post and you can only highlight the last line and then say you disagree without any supporting argument. If the 'dog' isn't doing a good job then yes the 'tail' has every right to try and lead for a while but I'll wait for you to put together an argument before i can discuss this futher.

Jonnycool, Kilkenny is a happy camp not because Brian Cody is such a great manager but because everyone is pulling in the same direction, manager, players, CB, clubs, schools etc. In Cork it is the exact opposite and the players are not to blame for most of that.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2008, 12:21:41 PM
Not entierly cornafean, though I agree that is also an issue but you'll find in every county some clubs who can get games called off and others who can't. The bottom line here is there are few posters on this board who are even remotely satisfied with their CB that must say something about the system.

QuoteAu contraire - it's now one of the biggest worries we have currently - we can't have the tail wagging the dog !

Nonsense, I've made a lot of points in that post and you can only highlight the last line and then say you disagree without any supporting argument. If the 'dog' isn't doing a good job then yes the 'tail' has every right to try and lead for a while but I'll wait for you to put together an argument before i can discuss this futher.

Jonnycool, Kilkenny is a happy camp not because Brian Cody is such a great manager but because everyone is pulling in the same direction, manager, players, CB, clubs, schools etc. In Cork it is the exact opposite and the players are not to blame for most of that.

I can't believe you are saying that Kilkenny are great NOT because Brian Cody is such a good manager but because everyone is pulling in the same direction !!!!!!!!!!! This is simply an outragoeous statement. Wise up !

So you want back up - here's the back up - This great Cork team were going for their won 3 in a row in 2006 - but came up against an awesome team in Kilkenny who are simply the best team that have ever played hurling.

Had Cork pulled off the 3 in a row they could have done 4 or 5 in a row -

However they didn't - but they put together a great run of final appearances and 2 in a row and contested a final in 2006 for the 3 in a row.

Cork in 2006 were on the crest of a wave -

So, to use your term, was everyone pulling in the same direction - the manager, schools, county board, clubs etc ??

Frank Murphy and the county board haven't changed much in the interim.

ONLY 2 THINGS HAVE CHANGED IN THE INTERIM AND IT'S HIGH TIME THE PLAYERS REALISED THIS :

Kilkenny have got better and Cork have got worse.

Cork's great team are now at the end of the road sadly. They were a great team but are on the wane - it's no shame.

But it's not on to start blaming the managment or the county board.

Reillers

Quote from: Top of the hill on November 07, 2008, 11:32:10 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2008, 10:51:45 AM

That's exactly the point i can't accept. We are supposed to believe Murphy can control the CCB, but there is no way some of the senior players could influence the younger lads.

This has happened in every panel i have been part of over the years. New young players will not want to stand up in the face of the more "respected" panel members for fear of being ostracised by the rest. It is the case on a club panel and probably more so on a county panel.
You know I make a point and then 3 pages on I've to make it again.
Half of them are prehistoric and great friends with the man himself, the others genuinely feel if they are the first to speak they will be "dealt with,"..like I said earlier, the CCB controls everything in Cork GAA..they can control what refs they get, what games they get which is key to bringing in money..etc.Just lets say if someone was to say something I wouldn't at all surprised to see them suddenly get a raw deal in everything.
The others, a small minority, are honest lads who are there to do their job..which really they're the only ones who are doing it, it's an intimdating place, and it's where the only discussions there are what will we have for tae lads.

How many more times will I have to say it.