McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

In the Red corner we have lightweight "Donal Og and Co." and in the other Red corner its heavyweight "Frank Murphy and Co."

Time for a proper TV debate, just Frank and Donal. Lets have it.

Just a thought but who did shoot Michael Collins ?  

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

That would involve Frank Murphy coming out from that rock he's hiding under. He wont come out till it's too late, till all the players are gone which is how he'd want it.
Donal Og is the best speaker of the lot, Gardiner shouldn't have come out, he tried to make things sound very political like with the wording (which clearly didn't work), he's not great either are the twins, they get very hot headed.

Donal Og didn't come out and speak because it would have looked too controversial. Oh Donal Og again, they wanted someone to speak who wasn't as labeled as Donal Og, they could have picked better. But these lads aren't the best at talking, making speeches, interviews..etc.
Donal Og would have been the best of them, but too controversial.

A Murphy-Donal Og debate would be insane though.

Kerry Mike

Quote from: Tatler Jack on November 06, 2008, 10:28:37 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 06, 2008, 09:47:54 PM
John Gardiner, Cork Captain in 2008 on Prime Time in a few mins, the country is in real Shite and this crap in langerlands get on prime time FFS.

For once KM I am in agreement with you. However I hope the panto is providing enjoyment to all in Kerry as the recession bites. Free entertainment :D

The Cork Footballers when they play Kerry in Croke Park give us enough panto moments  ;)

But seriously no one is taking any fun out of the situation thats going on in Cork, its just in Cork its seems to be played out in the media more, we have plenty of skelping in Kerry between club and county, between officials and even between players but it gets sorted out for the better of the county.

That's what Cork need to do, forget about the media bites and the "we said this and you said that" attitude, Sit down to f**k and get it sorted out.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

What was quite clear from tonights interview is that the whole panel are not going to be intimidated into playing, young or old!!

Clear now to see the players are totally commited, if that wasn't clear from the start. The county board have a lot to answer for now. There was an awful lot of room for bridges to be mended this year and the county board threw it in the players faces. It is clear that they don't want to find a solution and Frank Murphy will stay under ground till all this is solved.
And for that "moment" word. It was and is as clear as day that they are not in it for the money, only people with true vendettas, who genuinely don't like the team bring this up. It is clear that at the minute they  are not interested in pay for play, and that they've too much on their plates at the minute to go any where near that topic. Of course the critics wont see it like that, they'll go on another bitching session about the players, but the truth is that the facts taht were true yesterday are still very true now.

Overall.. A total mess once again in the Rebel County with only more to follow. A mess that sadly could have been totally avoided.

Kerry Mike

QuoteDonal Og didn't come out and speak because it would have looked too controversial

Why controversial?  

He has been their unofficial spokeman for the last few years and has never been shy of the camera before, they had a great opportunity on prime time TV tonight to clearly articulate their points accross to the public and maybe win back some public support but I think they blew it.  

When you need an important speech to be made you put your best spokesman out, I'd rather listen to Obama than Bush anyday. As you seem to have inside info was there a players vote as to who went on TV or was it chosen between the "and Co" group ?

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 07, 2008, 12:14:29 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on November 06, 2008, 10:28:37 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 06, 2008, 09:47:54 PM
John Gardiner, Cork Captain in 2008 on Prime Time in a few mins, the country is in real Shite and this crap in langerlands get on prime time FFS.

For once KM I am in agreement with you. However I hope the panto is providing enjoyment to all in Kerry as the recession bites. Free entertainment :D

The Cork Footballers when they play Kerry in Croke Park give us enough panto moments  ;)

But seriously no one is taking any fun out of the situation thats going on in Cork, its just in Cork its seems to be played out in the media more, we have plenty of skelping in Kerry between club and county, between officials and even between players but it gets sorted out for the better of the county.

That's what Cork need to do, forget about the media bites and the "we said this and you said that" attitude, Sit down to f**k and get it sorted out.

Panto moments..does that include beating ye over and over again..I find it very entertaining as well, I'm glad we agree.

And if it was that easy as just sitting down, they would have done it a long time ago. The players didn't start the media battle that was McCarthy, not to mention the disgraceful leaking of private confidential document that only McCarthy could have done, was stepping over the line completley, he made what could have been a salvageable relationship fall to bits even more so, he destroyed any trust he had from the players all together and lost a lot of respect from that move..the players responded. But I agree the media should be left out, it only makes things 100 times worse.

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 07, 2008, 12:23:56 AM
QuoteDonal Og didn't come out and speak because it would have looked too controversial

Why controversial?  

He has been their unofficial spokeman for the last few years and has never been shy of the camera before, they had a great opportunity on prime time TV tonight to clearly articulate their points accross to the public and maybe win back some public support but I think they blew it.  

When you need an important speech to be made you put your best spokesman out, I'd rather listen to Obama than Bush anyday. As yo useems ot have inside infoi was there a players vote as to who went on TV or was it chosen beten the "and Co" group ?

It would have looked like he was leading it, which he's not, which is a message they are trying to get across, they tried to do that by letting the captain go on and speak.
I haven't a bloody clue who was chosen to go on tv. I presume it was becaue he was captain he went on, but this isn't the professional game, he's no Roy Keane, Paul O Connell, he leads by playing, not speaking. The tried to do things the right way, but I don't think they lost any more support. The people who are genuinely interested in listening to them would have listened to the whole interview instead of going apeshit about one word, the rst of the interview was better,it sent across a clear message of intent that they weren't going to be bullied and it showed us yet again that the CCB are the real bullies, the people who listened would hear that. It's the people who have or had no interest of hearing what they had to say, are the ones who will criticize them for it, people who have no clue and are only interersted in player bashing, and nothing anyone would have said would have changed that, so no I don't think they lost that much.

Kerry Mike

QuoteThe Cork Footballers when they play Kerry in Croke Park give us enough panto moments  

Panto moments..does that include beating ye over and over again..I find it very entertaining as well, I'm glad we agree.

Read my post again ladeen it mentions Croke Park , remember that field up in the REAL capital where the Langers have NEVER beaten us in 6 games. But I should not mock your ignorance, you did after all call Frank Murphy the County Chariman in an earlier posting  :P

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Reillers

Quote from: Kerry Mike on November 07, 2008, 12:32:03 AM
QuoteThe Cork Footballers when they play Kerry in Croke Park give us enough panto moments  

Read my post again ladeen it mentions Croke Park , remember that field up in the REAL capital where the Langers have NEVER beaten us in 6 games. But I should not mock your ignorance, you did after all call Frank Murphy the County Chariman in an earlier posting  :P

Oh Croke Park..ya sorry about that. Christ all mighty bad times, bad times. Had to sit through the torture that wasthe 2007 AI final..we'd a tradition of going up to Croker for the final, me and a few of my mates, it became an anual thing with the hurlers, went up in 2007, expecting..well I don't know what, but sweet jeisus we got slaughtered. Humiliating to say the least. Not a familiar feeling for that time of year in that venue.
We'd take ye anyday, anytime, anywhere..except Croker.  ;D ;D
Chairman, clearly I meant secetary.  ::) ::)..a slip of the tounge..well finger. Are you going to over analyse that and criticize it to the cows come home like ye are with Ga or except it was a mistake??

Top of the hill

Sorry to butt in to this but i have spent the last coupel of hours catching up on this instead of going to bed but i have a couple of questions for Reillers

1. Do you really believe the cork players have the backing of the majority of GAA followers?

2. Do you really expect people to  believe that Frank Murphy can exert a "puppet master" like control over 80+ (that many?) CCB members/delegates but at the same time believe that 25-28 of the cork players could NOT be influenced by 2-5 other (ringleaders ro senior members or whatever) as is claimed by the players' statement?

I am not trying to be funny when asking this. I just want a bit of clarification on these issues.
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

Reillers

Quote from: Top of the hill on November 07, 2008, 12:57:28 AM
Sorry to butt in to this but i have spent the last coupel of hours catching up on this instead of going to bed but i have a couple of questions for Reillers

1. Do you really believe the cork players have the backing of the majority of GAA followers?

2. Do you really expect people to  believe that Frank Murphy can exert a "puppet master" like control over 80+ (that many?) CCB members/delegates but at the same time believe that 25-28 of the cork players could NOT be influenced by 2-5 other (ringleaders ro senior members or whatever) as is claimed by the players' statement?

I am not trying to be funny when asking this. I just want a bit of clarification on these issues.

No don't think the players have the backing of the majoirty.
Yes I do expect people to believe, people with half a brain anyway, that Murphy is the puppet master controling 80 plus people, he has for a very long time and the 25-28 man panel are not led by 2 plus people. All points I've said more then a few times on here.

orangeman

Charlie Carter has an interesting view on the Cork players :

" I find it hard to believe that there are young players in Cork so adamant that they are unwilling to play for a manager some of them have only been involved with for a year.I have no doubt that there is strong pressure being put on them by the more senior, battle hardended players in the squad. Effectively the Cork jersey is being held to ransom once again. To my mind it should be an honour to wear the jersey and that jersey is always something you had on when you are finished with it.  If players aren't happy they should move on but should not stand in the way of others who want to play. The players are really risking a legacy they have created themselves, but clearly they are prepared for that."

You can't really argue with this view which is held by a lot of people, except the Cork players of course.

Top of the hill

Quote from: Reillers on November 07, 2008, 06:45:36 AM
Quote from: Top of the hill on November 07, 2008, 12:57:28 AM

No don't think the players have the backing of the majoirty.
Yes I do expect people to believe, people with half a brain anyway, that Murphy is the puppet master controling 80 plus people, he has for a very long time and the 25-28 man panel are not led by 2 plus people. All points I've said more then a few times on here.

I have been keeping an eye on this thread and other sources/media on this saga as it has gone on. I have tried to reserve judgment on this and not just take one side or the other. I said I was not being funny when asking these questions, just trying to get a better understanding of some of the "facts" that you and others keep taliking about on here. On some of these points I agree with you but on others i don't.

I agree with you that the palyers probably do have support but not by the majority. I also agree (as in the AFR article) that the CCB have not covered themselves in glory at either grass-roots level or in their handling of the re-election of McCarthy as manager. Incidentally, the majority of the 20 problems facing Cork GAA could be applied to practically any county in ireland. Cork are not the only county to lose faith in their CB. However i find it hard to believe that Frank Murphy and the other CCB members would work to deliberatley bring about the downfall on GAA in cork and the hurling team in particular.

Secondly, I appreciate that you have stated these points in the recent past on this thread. However if you are going to resort to insults with comments like "people with half a brain" i find it increasingly hard to take what you say seriously.

I try to keep an open mind on this debacle but i find it hard to believe that Frank Murphy can control the will of 80+ people, yet you say it is ridiculous to suggest that the players are not controlled by 2or more people. IMO these 2 statements contradict each other. I do share Charlie Carter's view that their is pressure being put on the younger players by some of the more senior members.

As i said before i agree with some, but not all, of your points. As can be seen from this thread (and other sources) there are vast differences of opinion on this whole episode. Not everyone will agree all of the time. I am not just trying to be inflammatory or deliberately obstructive for the sake of it.
. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

theskull1

Reillers is very lucky to live in a world regardless of the complexities, where everything he believes is a cast iron certainty. We all need to realise this and hopefully we all will come to understand the frustrations he has with all of us who possess a different viewpoint to his black and white world. You would throw insults to the rest of us to if you were him.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on November 07, 2008, 10:30:59 AM
Reillers is very lucky to live in a world regardless of the complexities, where everything he believes is a cast iron certainty. We all need to realise this and hopefully we all will come to understand the frustrations he has with all of us who possess a different viewpoint to his black and white world. You would throw insults to the rest of us to if you were him.
[/b]

I forgive him !