McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

100% correct. There is a chance. Would you care to say what you think the chances of that would be?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The GAA

Havn't a clue. does everyting have to be part of a big scheme with you and OM?

theskull1

If a load of ex paramiliataries from all over a rather large geographical area met up at the shooting range for a spot of target pratice, I suppose you'd be thinking ach sure their only having a boys day out.....nothing to be suspicious about.

Would be stupid to think there could anything else to it wouldn't it?  :-\ FS!!

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on December 02, 2008, 12:53:26 PM
If a load of ex paramiliataries from all over a rather large geographical area met up at the shooting range for a spot of target pratice, I suppose you'd be thinking ach sure their only having a boys day out.....nothing to be suspicious about.

Would be stupid to think there could anything else to it wouldn't it?  :-\ FS!!

I woulfn' go as far as calling them ex paramilitaries - rebels yes but not paramilitaries !  ;) ;)

Aghdavoyle

Reillers

Quote from: witnof on December 02, 2008, 03:23:17 AM
Whatever about their greviances the Cork hurlers have gone completely the wrong way about resolving this and hence has lost support.

Is the training session a provocative move or an attempt to say we want to get back to hurling? Who knows.

And its not the media's fault that they got in and took photo's, who told them of the session in the first place?

And remember they have nothing else to write about at the moment so keeping this story going is in their interest, and the Cork players should recognise this.

The players only interest has ever been hurling, all they've ever wanted to do was get on with the hurling. But it things like the sheer embarasment of having to go into the Kilkenny dressing room after loosing the semi final, to ask for their jerseys back after swapping them with the Kk jerseys is things that take away from the game. All they ever want to do is play hurling. 

I was talking to one of the lads on the panel and they are frustrated to say the least. They're not really getting honest answers, the thing that annoys them the most is the uncertainty.of it all. They know that it's Frank Murphy is the problem, but they tend to be backing the players but it's the frustration of uncertainty that's annoying them the most. They are doing all this work and they are really strugling with the weights like, and the fitness, they thought they were fit but they had no idea. They are seeing only now how much they put into it. But they're not stupid, they know that at best 90% of them are the C team. The panel being the A team, the B team is the players who aren't on the squad but refused calls up, they, most of them, are 3rd pick. But about 5 I'd say would be kept on, but it's annoying them that they are doing all this work and it could well be all for nothing for most of them if or when the players decide to come back and they'll all be dropped at the drop of a hat.

I think the sign of them training was a sign that they are still united and a sign of that they are willing to play, that playing is the key thing here, and that's all they want to do. They've even got Seanie McGrath training them. They are serious about playing. If the journalists thought it would be a great idea to get up that early and go out into the cold to take a few pictures of no more then a training session then let them off.

orangeman

Is anybody from the county board / managment talking to them at all Reillers ?

Why is Seanie Mc Grath putting his head above the parapet ?

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on December 02, 2008, 10:58:22 PM

The players only interest has ever been hurling, all they've ever wanted to do was get on with the hurling. But it things like the sheer embarasment of having to go into the Kilkenny dressing room after loosing the semi final, to ask for their jerseys back after swapping them with the Kk jerseys is things that take away from the game. All they ever want to do is play hurling. 

I think the sign of them training was a sign that they are still united and a sign of that they are willing to play, that playing is the key thing here, and that's all they want to do. They've even got Seanie McGrath training them. They are serious about playing. If the journalists thought it would be a great idea to get up that early and go out into the cold to take a few pictures of no more then a training session then let them off.

Line those comments up beside Ben O'Connors a few weeks back. Come on  ???

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on December 02, 2008, 11:40:42 PM

Because he's worked with them, he knows them. He knows what's really going on. How they are really being treated. He knows at the end of the day that they are the good guys in this in their own strange way. They are the ones who want to best for Cork hurling. He knows the players are good people, good players, hard and honest and he wouldn't be working with them other wise. He likes them. (waits for the conspiracy theory of them hypnotising him or something as ridiculous from certain people on here.)
He knows them, he knows that these guys have and will put their bodies, careers and reputations on the line for the good of Cork hurling, despite what everyone in the media who likes to spin a factless story thinks, they've only ever wanted what's best. He trusts them and he knows the truth which is a dalmside more then 90% of the people out there speculating and he wants to help them.

theskull1

Reillers I wish you wouldn't keep refering to only one version of "the truth" when we all know each side will have their own version. Until you get that then you and the ex players will remain on one side and GmcC and the CCB on the other. This sense of righteousness the players feel must surely be tainted heavily by how they have dealt with this issue particularly those who spoke out so damningly against GMcC?

Those who administrate and run the game have moved on. GMcC is the Cork hurling manager. What are a group of players who are County Standard but unwilling to represent their County team as it stands hoping to get out of highly public collective training sessions? They sure do love the publics gaze. Not really helpful IMO to keep the spotlight on this industrial dispute, but it seems to be the players only vehicle to communicate.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on December 03, 2008, 01:44:08 AM
Quote from: orangeman on December 02, 2008, 11:40:42 PM

Because he's worked with them, he knows them. He knows what's really going on. How they are really being treated. He knows at the end of the day that they are the good guys in this in their own strange way. They are the ones who want to best for Cork hurling. He knows the players are good people, good players, hard and honest and he wouldn't be working with them other wise. He likes them. (waits for the conspiracy theory of them hypnotising him or something as ridiculous from certain people on here.)
He knows them, he knows that these guys have and will put their bodies, careers and reputations on the line for the good of Cork hurling, despite what everyone in the media who likes to spin a factless story thinks, they've only ever wanted what's best. He trusts them and he knows the truth which is a dalmside more then 90% of the people out there speculating and he wants to help them.

You've been really passionate all along in support of the players and fair play to you - but are you really trying to suggest that the players are acting ONLY in the interest of Cork hurling by going on strike for the 3rd time in 6 years, by withdrawing their services, by engaging in a shameful media led campaign against one of Cork's most decorated sons ?? This campaign has failed misersably by the way.

Here's a thought - let's say in 10 years time or whatever, Sean Og OhAilpin is appointed manager of Cork and let's say there was a brilliant Cork team who had just enjoyed the glory years previously with 3 or 4 All Irelands, and when Sean Og comes along, he runs into an awesome KK team and goes 2 years without winning an AI ?

How would he feel if the players came out in force against him and abused him publicly and accused him of telling lies etc etc etc ( not that Sean Og would ever do such a thing and I'm not suggesting that he ever would ) ????

The GAA

Spoke to a cork fella at the ulster final on sunday. now admittedly he's a football man but follows the hurlers strongly without having ever played the game. i asked about the coaching capabilities of McCarthy, which to my mind isthe crux of the problem here, and he was very disparaging. he reckoned Gerald's limitations are widely known among hurlng folk in the county but the fact that he's such a nice guy cuts him a lot of slack

Tatler Jack

Quote from: The GAA on December 03, 2008, 11:16:44 AM

Spoke to a cork fella at the ulster final on sunday. now admittedly he's a football man but follows the hurlers strongly without having ever played the game. i asked about the coaching capabilities of McCarthy, which to my mind isthe crux of the problem here, and he was very disparaging. he reckoned Gerald's limitations are widely known among hurlng folk in the county but the fact that he's such a nice guy cuts him a lot of slack

There are lots of people who would say otherwise - and there are a lot of views down here  based on little enough facts. Not sure that Gerald's coaching ability is the crux of the problem either - its a lot deeper than that.

orangeman

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 03, 2008, 11:42:49 AM
Quote from: The GAA on December 03, 2008, 11:16:44 AM

There are lots of people who would say otherwise - and there are a lot of views down here  based on little enough facts. Not sure that Gerald's coaching ability is the crux of the problem either - its a lot deeper than that.
[/b]

Mc Carthy wasn't around for the first strike and last year's strike had nothing to do with him either. So it is much deeper.