McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 24, 2008, 12:36:34 AM
It may not lead to major changes of personel but what it hopefully will do is send out a message to CB's around the country that players will no longer put up with any old treatment. In Clare recently the county's club footballers got together and organized themselves along the lines of the GPA (not sure how far this has developed though), to give themselves a voice that the CB will have to listen to. In the GAA we lurch from one idiotic situation to another and we as GAA people generally just bitch and moan about on DB's or in pubs without ever doing a f**king think about it. These Cork players are standing up for IC teams across the country and could effect real change if they see this through. And IMO if Frank Murphy stepped down a lot of people in Cork would be willing to step up to the plate more often.

They represent no one apart from themselves  - so don't try and go down he road of them being martyrs for a wider cause. Please.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on November 23, 2008, 10:41:49 PM
QuoteIf enough of the GAA membership agree with your opinion of the CB executive and their poor performace, why have the grassroots not rebelled and demanded change by now? Surely they should be lining up with the players on that point? The other important question is, where are the qualified individuals prepared to take on these challenging roles? Alot of them voluntary. 

To answer your first question, you only have to look at how clubs in most counties accept the disgraceful treatment of their own players (i.e the local club championships) to see that club inaction doesn't equate to satisfaction with their CB. As for your second point, many very able people won't get involved at CB level because it takes up a great deal of time and is a very frustrating experience if you want to affect change.

QuoteCompromise is needed - and talk of goingthe whole way by either side is not the answer as there will be too many losers on both sides.

They compromised last year and look where that got us, this needs to be put to bed once and for all irrespective of the cost.

Sttements like that will get your "cause" nowhere and only leads to further entrenched positions - Mc Carthy has laready alluded to the players having backed themselves into a corner and a statement like this does the same - there's no room for such militancy in this dispute - a bit of compromise is needed.

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on November 24, 2008, 09:39:24 AM
Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2008, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2008, 10:06:58 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2008, 04:39:52 PM
Quote from: Uladh on November 23, 2008, 02:25:17 PM

Why would anyone who professes to have the good of cork hurling at heart want Gerald McCarthy to continue in his job?
It's universally accepted that he is not up to the required standard as an intercounty coach and his remaining in the job only serves to hinder the development of hurling in the county

Universally accepted ? Didn't realise that.

Simply not true. Universally accepted - rubbish.

so you believe mccarthy is a good coach and that the cork players, to a man, haven't a clue what they're on about?

When players lose, it's invariably the management who are blamed. I'm not saying that haven't a clue but to say that it is universally accepted that he is a bad coach is not being reasonable.

Is McCarthy the best possible coach for the cork hurling team?

forget about politics and shite talk - is he the best possible coach for the county team?
purely hurling question

theskull1

Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2008, 10:51:32 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 24, 2008, 09:39:24 AM
Quote from: Uladh on November 24, 2008, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2008, 10:06:58 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 23, 2008, 04:39:52 PM
Quote from: Uladh on November 23, 2008, 02:25:17 PM

Why would anyone who professes to have the good of cork hurling at heart want Gerald McCarthy to continue in his job?
It's universally accepted that he is not up to the required standard as an intercounty coach and his remaining in the job only serves to hinder the development of hurling in the county

Universally accepted ? Didn't realise that.

Simply not true. Universally accepted - rubbish.

so you believe mccarthy is a good coach and that the cork players, to a man, haven't a clue what they're on about?

When players lose, it's invariably the management who are blamed. I'm not saying that haven't a clue but to say that it is universally accepted that he is a bad coach is not being reasonable.

Is McCarthy the best possible coach for the cork hurling team?

forget about politics and shite talk - is he the best possible coach for the county team?
purely hurling question

Uladh Brian Cody is not the best coach in KK. He is the best manager though and has a very good backroom team who share in their success. If GMcCarthy gets the right people around him then there is absolutely no reason why he could not be a successful manager.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

passedit

QuoteUladh Brian Cody is not the best coach in KK. He is the best manager though and has a very good backroom team who share in their success. If GMcCarthy gets the right people around him then there is absolutely no reason why he could not be a successful manager.

Teddy McCarthy?
Don't Panic

theskull1

It takes all sorts sometimes passedit. Don't tell me you haven't worked with someone that has surprised you in terms of what he brings to a panel. I could name several in my own time playing. See we all think we know everything and then get surprised when reality shows us that we really don't.

passedit

Teddy could have the combined wisdom and coaching skills of the entire Mc Carthy clan for all I know, but we all know the message his appointment is meant to convey.
Don't Panic

orangeman

Quote from: passedit on November 24, 2008, 12:13:20 PM
Teddy could have the combined wisdom and coaching skills of the entire Mc Carthy clan for all I know, but we all know the message his appointment is meant to convey.

Which is what ?

Mc Carthy went out of his way to emphasise how much he wants to have the best hurlers in Cork playing for the Cork senior team and stressed that he would welcome any moves to have a meeting of minds on the subject between him and the players -

This is to be welcomed as it shows that Mc Carthy genuinely would like to see a resolution of the impasse - statements like the players should take this the whole road are not going to resolve the issue.

Perhaps yesterdayhas done some good - both sides realise that they have lost - so now it's damage limitation time and there's plenty of time in the next 8 weeks to resolve the differences - Mc Carthy is open to suggestion - so get a change in the backroom team, bring in somebody that the players want and see if that can help heal the divisions that exist.

cornafean

Quote from: Reillers on November 23, 2008, 08:22:15 PM
Its the end of the senior panel.That's the end of the senior panel. This is a disaster of a result. It'd be fairer and less painful on the kids on the pannel to have lost and lost by a lot today then have to put it off.
It's going to be a blood bath come Championship and it's the young fellas that are going to suffer emensly.

People said the same about the Fermanagh footballers when they lost over half their team (including most of their better players) and had prolonged difficulties in appointing a manager in late 2003/early 2004. The new team came within a whisker of reaching the All Ireland Final the following September.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

passedit

Don't Panic

theskull1

Boys FM may well have things to answer for, but I think some of you are displaying a real lack of intelligence by the way that you are simplistically blaming him as the cause of all problems in Cork. Any chance of youse taking a less myopic and more balanced perspective

orangeman

Quote from: passedit on November 24, 2008, 12:48:05 PM
The root cause of the problem

One minute it's Frank, then it's Mc Carthy - which is it ?

passedit

Quote from: theskull1 on November 24, 2008, 01:01:54 PM
Boys FM may well have things to answer for, but I think some of you are displaying a real lack of intelligence by the way that you are simplistically blaming him up as the cause of all problems in Cork. Any chance of youse taking a less myopic and more balanced perspective

I am intelligent enough to know that this situation was engineered by the CCB (in reality FM) who calculated correctly that the wider public would have no stomach for 'Another Cork Row', this is not another cork row it is the same one as 2002 and last year dressed up differently. I won't question the intelligence of anyone who doesnt see this, I would question their will to see it.

Don't Panic

theskull1

Quote from: passedit on November 24, 2008, 01:45:07 PM
Boys FM may well have things to answer for, but I think some of you are displaying a real lack of intelligence by the way that you are simplistically blaming him up as the cause of all problems in Cork. Any chance of youse taking a less myopic and more balanced perspective

I am intelligent enough to know that this situation was engineered by the CCB (in reality FM) who calculated correctly that the wider public would have no stomach for 'Another Cork Row', this is not another cork row it is the same one as 2002 and last year dressed up differently. I won't question the intelligence of anyone who doesnt see this, I would question their will to see it.

250 Clubs in Cork and Frank is to blame for all the hurling problems in Cork. Passedit you need to catch a grip if you seriously believe that. He may be at the helm but it's like blaming Gordon Brown or Brian Cowen for the recession or George Bush for the war in Iraq. Other factors/individuals will have their say in such a large orginisation so you need to cast the net farther

passedit

Quote from: theskull1 on November 24, 2008, 01:58:16 PM
Quote from: passedit on November 24, 2008, 01:45:07 PM

250 Clubs in Cork and Frank is to blame for all the hurling problems in Cork. Passedit you need to catch a grip if you seriously believe that. He may be at the helm but it's like blaming Gordon Brown or Brian Cowen for the recession or George Bush for the war in Iraq. Other factors/individuals will have their say in such a large orginisation so you need to cast the net farther

Had Brown, Bush and Cowen been in power since 1973 with the attendant opportunity for accumulation and misuse of power there might be room for a comparison. I have already made the comparison with J Edgar Hoover which I believe to be more accurate.
Don't Panic