McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reillers

I don't think that at all, ye'd have one less thing top bitch and whinge about. We'll se how better off the championship is without Cork, because there's a very good chance that they're not coming back and we'll have no team..

"The Cork senior hurlers met again on Thursday night in the Sunset Ridge hotel, when they reiterated their opposition to McCarthy's reappointment. There has been mounting speculation about possible player retirements, and one player said after that meeting that it would be "fair to say it would be surprising to see any player going back" in the current circumstances."

They work hard, they have and they always will. This isn't about beating KK, it's about the manager who's made some extremley poor, naive decisions over the last 2 years. They've done so much for hurling and this county that they've nothing to be forgiven for or ashamed of.

And there's an unhelathy level of disrespect in all the other posts, but not a bother about that..like you said, nobody gives two shits about Cork.

So we'll have nearly our entire team gone next year, ye wont have to "put up" with us anymore, it'll just be KK and the wannabes trying to come close to them, but every time it'll be a mismatch, and ye'll have know one to fight yere battles for ye.

orangeman

Reillers - you're very, very passionate about the Cork cause and fair play to you for that - and fair play to the hurlers for being so passionate, but spitting the dummy out isn't going to resolve anything.

The point I'm trying to make to you ( and by the way I have NOT insulted anyone here ) is that the general public are sick of the strikes and the threat of strikes. How can one player say that all the players will not go back.

Did Gerald Mc Carthy loss you last years' AI ?

Answer is no !

KK are simply hurling at a different level to eveyone else at the minute. Things will change but the only way of beating KK is out on the field.

If I was a Cork hurler, I'd be away training like mad trying to get one over on KK. Going on strike wouldn't be in my mind. perhaps I don't know enough about it but these are my views.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on October 25, 2008, 12:30:56 PM
Reillers - you're very, very passionate about the Cork cause and fair play to you for that - and fair play to the hurlers for being so passionate, but spitting the dummy out isn't going to resolve anything.

The point I'm trying to make to you ( and by the way I have NOT insulted anyone here ) is that the general public are sick of the strikes and the threat of strikes. How can one player say that all the players will not go back.

Did Gerald Mc Carthy loss you last years' AI ?

Answer is no !

KK are simply hurling at a different level to eveyone else at the minute. Things will change but the only way of beating KK is out on the field.

If I was a Cork hurler, I'd be away training like mad trying to get one over on KK. Going on strike wouldn't be in my mind. perhaps I don't know enough about it but these are my views.

It's not spitting the dummy out, it's not. The are considering leaving, because they are tired of it all. They've put up with crap from the baord for years, they've had to fight twice as hard as anyone else because they haven't had the backing from their board.
Are you not listening, they can't go on strike, they are not threatening strike, it's either go back and continue as they are, playing, or leave, retire. Under arbitrition they can't go on strike ever again. SO it'll be walking away, we will loose God only knows how many players. That's not spitting out the dummy, that's them being sick of it all and having enough. They care too much then to just throw their dummies out of the pram. Can you not see that it's much bigger then that.

And it's got nothing to do with KK, it's much bigger then a stupid bloody team that they didn't beat, it's about things going on inside their own four walls. Gearld Mac made some dreadfull decisions when he was in charge, against Tipp, KK, we probably would still have lost to KK, but not just in that game, but for the last 2 season, naive selections, tactical, team selections, poor judgements.

If it's the general feeling it's the general feeling, just because 20 odd players don't go out and say it doesn't mean it's any less true.

They want to beat KK and they will do about anything to beat them, but right now, it's a lot bigger then just wanting to beat KK. And I don't see why ye can't see that.

INDIANA

but its every year reillers, is the gaa in cork that fucked up? cody has a great article in the examiner today about everyone working together for the common goal, are you saying the cork county board would put preserving their own position above winning all-irelands?

Reillers

Every year, I'm sorry last time I checked there was 2 strikes one way back in 02 and another last season. That's not every year, that's twice over a space of 6 years. Cody talking about everyone working together as one for a common cause, roses and daises, that's great for him. Some have it too easy.

Am I saying that the board would put preserving their position ahead of winning AIs..ya I am. They would rather control over success any day of the year.

"Pause for breath. What was going through the minds of a few county board men as they saw the spikiest team in Cork's turbulent history being ribboned and shredded and their totem, their leader, taking the long walk. A championship defeat, yes, but control, complete control of the hurlers back with the blazers?"

....Tom Humphries on the Galway Cork match at half time, he sums it up well.

theskull1

Reillers. Could I ask you to step back a bit......seriously You are so far towards the cork players perpsective that I have every belief that you are one of the 28 who took the vote. Your argument just doesn't stand up

Can I ask you to think of what the Cork Hurlers have done and think of the same happening in every sporting club up and down the country

So in every club......

• The Selection Committee having been delegated by the board to secure the services of whoever they think is best man for the job to lead their team(s)
    Then players, off their own bat (obviously led by a few individuals within the squad) meet and have their own vote on whether they want that man to manage them and then make public their views (in this case they don't want him)

Can't you see how crazy this is? Such a process can never work.

Maybe I'm missing something...could you help me out?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

You might not see it as spititing the dummy out but I do -

Are you by any chance on the panel yourself Reillers ?

Is the issue simply not oone of, we want Ger Cunningham to manage us and if we don't get him then we're gone ??

Reillers

Oh ya, look all I know is that we could well loose our players, some of our best players and that's what's worrying me.

They don't want Gerald Mac again because if we're honest, he's done a terrible job with them, they know they could have and should have done better and that in the interest of Cork hurling a new manager would be best. And no, it's not a matter of if we don't get Ger Cunningham in we're leaving.

They mightn't do anything yet, all they've said is that they don't want Gerald Mac as manager, that's all. There's been no strike, no revolution or civil war or coup. Nothing.

theskull1

Reillers
Please consider my last post in your next reply.

Uladh

Quote from: theskull1 on October 24, 2008, 07:26:28 PM
The players should just play Indiana. It's like asking children are they happy with the brocoilli on their plate? Only encourages whinging from spoilt brats. Just eat it and shut up. It'll do them good in the long run even though they mightn't think it at the time.

You are implying that the county board officers who appoint managers "know better" than the intercounty players involved. the reality is, there's hardly a county board official in the country qualified to analyse or scrutinise the candidates for any managerial post.

My understanding of this so far is:

Cork hurling manager's job up for ratification.
As agreed last year, players have a vote on the appointment.
players vote no to the county board's proposal.

my understanding is that the player's vote is not sufficient on its own to make a difference so McCarthy is appointed?

The players agreed last year in the deal with co board that striking would not be an option in future disputes so those who are talking about them striking don't know what they're talking about?

Reillers

Quote from: Uladh on October 25, 2008, 03:46:48 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 24, 2008, 07:26:28 PM
The players should just play Indiana. It's like asking children are they happy with the brocoilli on their plate? Only encourages whinging from spoilt brats. Just eat it and shut up. It'll do them good in the long run even though they mightn't think it at the time.

You are implying that the county board officers who appoint managers "know better" than the intercounty players involved. the reality is, there's hardly a county board official in the country qualified to analyse or scrutinise the candidates for any managerial post.

My understanding of this so far is:

Cork hurling manager's job up for ratification.
As agreed last year, players have a vote on the appointment.
players vote no to the county board's proposal.

my understanding is that the player's vote is not sufficient on its own to make a difference so McCarthy is appointed?

The players agreed last year in the deal with co board that striking would not be an option in future disputes so those who are talking about them striking don't know what they're talking about?

Oh don't bother they don't listen, they are too obsessed about whinging about big old bad Cork then actually looking at the facts. They can't go on strike yet they're all on here moaning about another strike.

Uladh

Reillers - What is the makeup of the committee which appoints the manager? how many county board officers and is it 2 player votes?

theskull1

No Uladh. What I am saying is that it is not the players job to select the manager independent of whether the Co Board Officers "know better" or not. I am perfectly willing to accept that players are allowed to have an opinion and discuss it with each other but for everyone of them to convene, vote and publicises their views.......... well that is something entirely different. Do they not realise that such an overly arrogant display of their own importance is actually contributing to their own failure on the pitch as it is alienating all those around them who would want otherwise to see them succeed?

Uladh

Skull, all of what you say is contradicted by the fact that the cork players have representation and a vote on the selection committee. this was agreed by the county board and ratiied by the clubs. they are required to vote and mandate their representatives on the committee.

INDIANA

I think Cork will always struggle to get a top class manager simply because their authority would be difficult to maintain with a group that are as self-opinionated as the cork hurlers. Thats what i've been told by Cork people and these are people who have no connection with the county board. there is nothing wrong with being like that, just that the Cork hurlers have to bear in mind they aren't going to attract any proven inter county coaches with wanting the level of input they want.

Look my ideas are simple, you don't have any right to a county jersey, you earn the right to get one. Players play, managers manage. In Cork this is different obviously. there is a level of politics involved within the county board but there comes a point in time when players can't cross the line into effectively running the team themselves. Mc Carthy's position is largel untenable at this stage, so expect it to run into the inevitable resignation. Unfortunately this issue will never be solved with a new manager until certain players and county board officials retire the issue will never go away. . They can't get on and until then i don't  see cork doing jack shit. I think they are on the wane anyway.

Ultimately the cork players have never been forgiven for the strike in 2002 by the county board and as said above until all of the individuals on both sides of the fence are no longe involved the problems will remain every year. Cork is in crisis again.