Sometimes you have to admire

Started by paddypastit, October 23, 2008, 05:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddypastit

I'm on the Dart this morning, 7.45 or so reading one of the freesheet newspapers previewing the Dublin final and thinking to myself "Jez, hard lines too having to play your biggest club game of the year on a THURSDAY night".  I'm wondering what does a lad do - does he do a normal days work, can he? Could he possibly be on top form if he did?  Then the tarin pulls into a station and on pops this lad that looks familiar... I do a double take and yes he is... Bernard Brogan (playing for his club this evening in the Dublin SFC final)  Now here's a lad that would otherwise be down in Australia playing for Ireland and he's heading to work for 8.00 before playing in the biggest game his club has played in years... and their fans will expect him tyo be one of their matchwinners.  I don't know the lad from Adam but he was chatting away to another lad and seemed ordinary enough in his manner.  No doubt if he does anything tonight he will get abuse across the wall... we should really admire these guys effort alone.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Quote from: paddypastit on October 23, 2008, 05:09:56 PM
I'm on the Dart this morning, 7.45 or so reading one of the freesheet newspapers previewing the Dublin final and thinking to myself "Jez, hard lines too having to play your biggest club game of the year on a THURSDAY night".  I'm wondering what does a lad do - does he do a normal days work, can he? Could he possibly be on top form if he did?  Then the tarin pulls into a station and on pops this lad that looks familiar... I do a double take and yes he is... Bernard Brogan (playing for his club this evening in the Dublin SFC final)  Now here's a lad that would otherwise be down in Australia playing for Ireland and he's heading to work for 8.00 before playing in the biggest game his club has played in years... and their fans will expect him tyo be one of their matchwinners.  I don't know the lad from Adam but he was chatting away to another lad and seemed ordinary enough in his manner.  No doubt if he does anything tonight he will get abuse across the wall... we should really admire these guys effort alone.

Eh? Is this not normal, and has been for decades?

Quotebut he was chatting away to another lad and seemed ordinary enough in his manner

Did you expect him to be wearing bling and a crown on his head, speaking with marbles in his mouth?

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Jaysus, just because a fella gets on a train at 8 in the morning and is playing a match that night we need to fecking venerate him.

My da gets in the rampart at 7.30 in the morning, comes back at 9 at night covered in head to toe in stoor and proceeds to dung out the shed before cutting wood for the next day and then does a run to the shop before hitting the sack at 12. 7 days a week.

heffo

Quote from: ONeill on October 23, 2008, 07:25:11 PM
Jaysus, just because a fella gets on a train at 8 in the morning and is playing a match that night we need to fecking venerate him.

My da gets in the rampart at 7.30 in the morning, comes back at 9 at night covered in head to toe in stoor and proceeds to dung out the shed before cutting wood for the next day and then does a run to the shop before hitting the sack at 12. 7 days a week.

Is this your Da or some character composite of darkest Yorkshire from the 40's?

ziggysego

Quote from: heffo on October 23, 2008, 08:12:09 PM

Is this your Da or some character composite of darkest Yorkshire from the 40's?

ONeill's Da

Testing Accessibility

paddypastit

O'Neill - don't know how it goes up your way but in my experience of county finals, they are played on a Saturday or Sunday and few if any of those involved will have done a full days work before playing. Pull in yer neck
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Doire abú

Lethal word. Glad to see soe of us are keeping it alive!

jodyb

Aye, but is he playin' in the county final on the same day?? ;D

ONeill

Quote from: paddypastit on October 26, 2008, 09:21:08 PM
O'Neill - don't know how it goes up your way but in my experience of county finals, they are played on a Saturday or Sunday and few if any of those involved will have done a full days work before playing. Pull in yer neck

How do you know he did a full day's work? You saw him getting on a train in the morning time. How do you know he was going to work? How do you know, if he did, when he finished? What the feck's a tarin?

jodyb

Quote from: jodyb on October 26, 2008, 09:34:02 PM

Aye, but is he playin' in the county final on the same day?? ;D
In addition O'Neill, your some bollix lettin your poor auld fella live like that... Would you not think of sparing him a few bob an' lettin him take life a bit easier??

Canalman

Paddypastit, you commited the major sin on this board by saying something positive about Dublin GAA in general or its players.Expect I'm afraid to weather a heap of  vitriol and bile on your way shortly.

theskull1

The gripe is that alot of people don't see any difference between a another county player and every other committed club player. To isolate one over the other is the problem here.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

antoinse

Any update as to whether or not he was on the dart this morning? I know its a Bank Holiday but he is playing in the replay tonight? Perhaps he was cheeing on 'Peter the Great' during his marathon run? please notify any sightings

dubinhell

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2008, 09:47:13 AM
The gripe is that alot of people don't see any difference between a another county player and every other committed club player. To isolate one over the other is the problem here.

Paddypastit was using Brogan as an example. At the end of his he said that we should really admire these guys effort alone. All players. But don't let that get in the way of a good whinge ;)