Croke to get a roof

Started by sureyouwill, January 05, 2007, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

The problems with the Millenium Stadium pitch are strictly due to the roof if I remember correctly. It's made up of over 7000 patches of turf that are sitting on wooden pallets – so that they can be quickly and easily removed if there is a concert or something.

Pangurban

Supersarsfields and turfsmoke have hit the nail on the head with their insightful comments, well said lads,after that any other comment would be superflous

ziggysego

Industry sources have said it would cost the GAA €300 million to fit a roof at Croke Park. That would nearly double the cost of redeveloping Croke Park. For me, that's not value for money.
Testing Accessibility

Shamrock Shore

300 mill

It would be cheaper to build an underground pitch...that said......I believe the Port Tunnell is kinda slack at the moment.

Hound

We all know Croke Park is a magnificent stadium, but IMO its a magnificent summer stadium. If it rains its a pisspoor stadium as well over half of the people in the lower stands gets pissed on.

A roof would be of huge benefit - but obviuosly only if we can afford it. We'll only do it if its gets heavily subsidised.

I do agree that renovating Semple would be a higher priority

laoislad

Quote from: J70 on January 05, 2007, 02:32:29 PM
Presumably retrofitting a movable roof is quite an engineering undertaking? Or was the stadium built with that eventuality in mind?

I agree,the first thing i thought of was how are they going to support such a struture when there is nothing at the Hill End.Surely if they are putting a roof up the Hill would have to be brought up to the same height as both stands?
I like an others idea of haveing a 2nd tier over the Hill and have it all seated

tayto

Quote from: Hound on January 07, 2007, 01:20:42 PM

Semple is closed for a 18million re-fit bit it'd be great if they could totally renovate it a la croke park only smaller, it's the one other pitch-stadium with the same mystique as Croke Park.

Gnevin

Quote from: tayto on January 07, 2007, 06:22:43 PM

Semple is closed for a 18million re-fit bit it'd be great if they could totally renovate it a la croke park only smaller, it's the one other pitch-stadium with the same mystique as Croke Park.

Do we really need 32 mini crokers , the GAA is wasting money on stadiums that aren't needed
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ziggysego

Quote from: Gnevin on January 07, 2007, 10:13:40 PM

Do we really need 32 mini crokers , the GAA is wasting money on stadiums that aren't needed

No, but 3 mini crokers for Ulster, Munster and Connacht would be nice ;D
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Quote from: ziggysego on January 07, 2007, 10:15:27 PM

Muster already has the gaelic grounds ,Páirc Uí Chaoimh and a load of other nice grounds
Ulster is the only one in need of a new ground/upgrade
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tayto

Quote from: Gnevin on January 07, 2007, 10:20:24 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 07, 2007, 10:15:27 PM

Muster already has the gaelic grounds ,Páirc Uí Chaoimh and a load of other nice grounds
Ulster is the only one in need of a new ground/upgrade

It's obviously a while since you've been in Páirc Uí Chaoimh, it's not too bad inside but it looks half derelict outside and the area around it is like a wasteland. Semple is the second most important stadia we have, it's looking very tired these days and can well do with a revamp. I agree with what yer saying about the huge stadia counties seem to be making for themselves, all in the hope of one big championship match but i do think we could have another marqee stadium.

ziggysego

Clones plenty needs a lot of work done, but not just to the stadia itself. The roads in and out, park and amenities.
Testing Accessibility

man in black

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 05, 2007, 02:38:44 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on January 05, 2007, 01:49:08 PM
Exactly.  How often would the roof be put into use during the summer months? 

yeah the sun is always glaring down in the usual Irish summers :D

though if we roofed it, I think we could have problems with the grass- and its bad enough - dont really see the point in this.

Agree with ANOther, should buy them houses, tunnel over the railway and put seating in the upper tier at least.
Though apart from sentimentality, I wouldnt keep the hill the way it is.

Why keep the hill as a monument to Dublin fans? Which lets face it, that what it is. There should be a genuine monument at croke park for 1916 not somewhere for the dubs to urinate.

'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Gnevin

Quote from: man in black on January 08, 2007, 09:37:29 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 05, 2007, 02:38:44 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on January 05, 2007, 01:49:08 PM
Exactly.  How often would the roof be put into use during the summer months? 

yeah the sun is always glaring down in the usual Irish summers :D

though if we roofed it, I think we could have problems with the grass- and its bad enough - dont really see the point in this.

Agree with ANOther, should buy them houses, tunnel over the railway and put seating in the upper tier at least.
Though apart from sentimentality, I wouldnt keep the hill the way it is.

Why keep the hill as a monument to Dublin fans? Which lets face it, that what it is. There should be a genuine monument at croke park for 1916 not somewhere for the dubs to urinate.

MIB go back to the non GAA section and stop trying to  shit stir

laoislad

He might be trying to stir shit Gnevin but in fairness a a minority of the fans who do be on Hill 16 don't know the first thing about gaa or even what happenend in 1916
I've been on the hill a good few times as my girlfriend is from Dublin and i do enjoy the criac and the banter but the fans who leave it till ten mins into match till they turn up or those who just roar abuse at their own players and most of the time even getting the players name wrong,Well they give the Hill a bad name..