Munster v Ulster - The De-railed Railway Track Cup

Started by Kerry Mike, October 22, 2008, 08:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

The game with the province with a whopping 47 Senior Football All Irelands versus the province with only a miserable pathethic 16 titles. Easy game for Ulster against our C team.

Anyone going, anyone care ?

Ulster panel (SF v Munster): Goalkeepers - J Reilly, R Gallagher; Defenders - F Moriarty, V Corey, D Harte, C Gormley, A Carr, B Donaghy, P Jordan, K Cassidy, K Lacey. Midfielders - K Toner, E Lennon; Forwards - B Dooher, R Woods, D Hughes, D Clerkin, S Johnston, E Bradley, B Mallon, S O'Neill, R Kavanagh, T Freeman, R Clarke.

Munster Team (SF v Ulster): P Fitzgerald (Tipperary); D Duggan (Cork), J McCarthy (Limerick), P Reidy (Kerry); T O Se (Kerry), S Lavin (Limerick), T O'Gorman (Waterford); J Galvin (Limerck), N Murphy (Cork); P Kelly, D Goulding (both Cork), M O'Gorman (Waterford); D O'Connor, M Cussen (both Cork), I Ryan (Limerick).

Tomas O Se and Padraig Reidy are the only Kerry players named in the Munster side for Saturday's Inter-provincial football semi-final against Ulster at Fermoy.

Kieran Donaghy, Aidan O'Mahony and Killian Young are in Australia with the International Rules squad, Tommy Walsh, Declan O'Sullivan, Mike Frank Russell, Sean and Darren O'Sullivan and David Moran have club commitments in Sunday's county semi-finals, while the rest are either injured or unavailable, including Darragh O Se and Colm Cooper.

As a result, the team is predominantly made up of players from Langerland and Limerick

Limerick have strong representation with Johnny McCarthy, John Galvin, Stephen Lavin and teenage scoring sensation Ian Ryan all featuring, while Waterford are represented by Nire twins, Maurice and Thomas O'Gorman.

The biggest surprise is the selection of Patrick Kelly, who could not command a starting place on the Cork team this year.

Ulster have been able to name a strong squad for Saturday's Inter-provincial football semi-final against Munster in Fermoy, despite the unavailability of 11 players who are in Australia on International Rules duty.

Manager Joe Kernan finalised his 24-man panel last night which features five players each from All-Ireland champions Tyrone, Armagh and Monaghan.

The former Armagh supremo is looking forward to his taste of provincial management, saying: "There has been talk that they are going to do away with this competition but the players all want to be involved."
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Tyrone Dreamer

I take it its not on tv anywhere? As I've said before Id like to see it played on St Paddys day as double headers in croke park and thurles, as argued by Joe Kernan. Not a bad Ulster squad considering the players missing. Would probably like to see a team something like this:
J Reilly
K Lacey
C Gormley
F Moriarty
D Harte
K Cassidy
P Jordan
E Lennon
R Kavanagh
B Dooher
R Woods
S O'Neill
T Freeman
R Clarke
S Johnston

FermPundit

I popped down to Brewster Park tonight to see the first half of Ulster v St. Eunan's, Letterkenny. Decent standard of football played given the horrible weather conditions.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Tyrone Dreamer

FermPundit

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on October 22, 2008, 10:05:29 PM
Was Stephen O'Neill playing for Ulster?

Yep, full forward. He hit over a couple of great scores as well.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

screenexile

It's not exactly Ulster's first choice team either KM but I think that Ulster have ye boys number now (except in the egg chasin but then we won that well back before the Munster bandwagon rolled in).

I think it's a pity also about this as I'd be fairly interested in watching this game had it been on anywhere reasonable. The idea of staging it on St. Paddy's as a double header with the Club finals is a great one I think and something that should definitely be looked at!

J70

Quote from: FermPundit on October 22, 2008, 09:39:27 PM
I popped down to Brewster Park tonight to see the first half of Ulster v St. Eunan's, Letterkenny. Decent standard of football played given the horrible weather conditions.

Did Rory Kavanagh line out for either side?

I presume Ulster hammered Eunan's?

The GAA

The GAA

The GAA

the way i heard it at the weekend a lot of prominent armagh players turned him down to play for ulster. it added up when i saw the panel in the irish news yesterday and there were only peripheral armagh players on it

bennydorano

I cant think of too many who would have made a point of turning him down?  McDonnell, McKeever & Ak in Oz.  Those with a gripe - McGeeney & AOR wouldn't have been asked IMO.  McGrane maybe, but then he hasn't featured recently.  MOR is the only one I can honestly think off that should've been asked and is likely to have turned him down.  Ronan Clarke is on the panel too.

Doire abú

What happened between McGeeney, AOR and Big Joseph?