O Mahoney gets extra 2 years.

Started by moysider, October 22, 2008, 08:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: spectator on November 03, 2008, 09:03:59 PM

Bringing in Ballagh players -  after dispensing with some of them after his first year - wouldn't be a wise move politically, as he could lose GAA votes in his constituency that way.

We're as well to forget about it if such thinking informs his selections.

Thankfully I think JOM is way above that, that's casting serious aspersions on his character spec.

I thought it was telling that he dropped Barry Regan in 07 after Mickey Moran had him in 06. And that Stephen Drake wasn't brought in either, Barry Kelly too. Normally managers are accused of favouring their own clubs, JOM looks like he's went to the other extreme. But who knows these lads better than him? He had them at school and was deeply involved with the club in 06. Perhaps he knows that they're only ever destined to be decent club footballers. But I think they deserve a shot. Christ if the Kilcullens can be given a go like they were in 2007, than Regan, Drake and Kelly definitely deserve a shot at it.

It looks like Barry Moran will be tried at full-forward now but can anyone say that Barry Regan wouldn't be a better second choice that Austy? I don't think so. Drake has been excellent in the corner this year, by all accounts, and is a top wing-back too. A much better option than Colm Boyle, imo, for instance. Barry Kelly has been, consistently, the best club midfielder in Mayo for the last three years. That has to be rewarded. Time will tell. I hope a decent club championship run doesn't get in the way of these lads getting their shot at Mayo.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2008, 11:01:36 AM

Bringing in Ballagh players -  after dispensing with some of them after his first year - wouldn't be a wise move politically, as he could lose GAA votes in his constituency that way.

Thankfully I think JOM is way above that, that's casting serious aspersions on his character spec.
I thought it was telling that he dropped Barry Regan in 07 after Mickey Moran had him in 06. And that Stephen Drake wasn't brought in either, Barry Kelly too. Normally managers are accused of favouring their own clubs, JOM looks like he's went to the other extreme. But who knows these lads better than him? He had them at school and was deeply involved with the club in 06. Perhaps he knows that they're only ever destined to be decent club footballers. But I think they deserve a shot. Christ if the Kilcullens can be given a go like they were in 2007, than Regan, Drake and Kelly definitely deserve a shot at it.

It looks like Barry Moran will be tried at full-forward now but can anyone say that Barry Regan wouldn't be a better second choice that Austy? I don't think so. Drake has been excellent in the corner this year, by all accounts, and is a top wing-back too. A much better option than Colm Boyle, imo, for instance. Barry Kelly has been, consistently, the best club midfielder in Mayo for the last three years. That has to be rewarded. Time will tell. I hope a decent club championship run doesn't get in the way of these lads getting their shot at Mayo.

Spot on R&G, I agree 100% with that comment. That's not the reason he didn't pick them as far as I'm concerned.
I think Drake and Regan will be involved this time because they have improved alot as players. Barry Kelly would be very useful in the half forward line at county level, I don't know if he has ever even gone for trials though, he hasn't had the same drive to play inter-county as some others, maybe that will change this year.

spectator

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on November 04, 2008, 11:01:36 AM

Fair enough, I didn't intend it to be read as casting aspersions on Johnno's character. It's a relatively minor aspect, which Mayo supporters themselves have discussed when trying to  make sense of the selection policies from league to championship last year. But if anyone took offence, my apologies.

stephenite

The fact that he saw fit to drop Mayo's greatest ever footballer should point to a man who's not afraid to make hard calls for what he feels is the sake of the team, ahead of anything his constituents might think of him.
Mayo is a football county before anything else and JOM will probably get take a tanking in the next election if things don't improve on the football field, and he knows it.

Barney

Looks like the League matches are going to be in Castlebar anyhow. This is from independent.ie (who have already written Roscommon off):

QuoteKeith Higgins has confirmed that he will return from Australia in time to take his place on the Mayo football panel for their championship opener against New York in May. The dual star heads Down Under this week for a six-month stint, but will return in time to join up with John O'Mahony's squad.

Should Mayo win that tie they will meet Leitrim in Castlebar in the Connacht semi-final, with the redeveloped McHale Park expected to be completed in time for the return of Mickey Moran and John Morrison. Mayo will play all of their four home National League games at McHale Park, despite the ongoing development work.

"As of now we're hoping to host all our home games in McHale Park. I've been talking to the builders in the last few days and they're very pleased with the way the work is progressing. By the time the league starts the McHale Park road side of the pitch and the toilets on that side should be ready," said Mayo County Board chairman James Waldron.

m@yoman

The way things are going politically, I would personally be very surprised if there isn't a General Election next year.......and where does that leave JOM???

If one is called for c.May, then (presuming he goes for re-election of course) the whole canvassing and knocking on doors will be back again for him...I think next year will be a crucial year in the JOM reign.....A run similar to this year and I feel he may kiss goodbye to 2 extra years....(contracts don't mean a lot these days...whether you work for Mayo GAA or the local factory down the road it would seem!!)

A good League campaign (staying up!) is going to take a bit of planning.....A trip to NYC cant be organised the week before the plane leaves Ireland West (Knock to most normal people!) airport....and hopefully then a Connacht championship run must yield some success......

"hows things, any chance of the vote???"

Rossfan

Quote from: moysider on November 03, 2008, 11:25:46 PM

Playing Ballagh lads wont cost him any votes.

It'll hardly gain him any as they will be voting in their own Roscommon constiruency -like J'O'M also does ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: spectator on November 05, 2008, 12:14:49 AM

Fair enough, I didn't intend it to be read as casting aspersions on Johnno's character. It's a relatively minor aspect, which Mayo supporters themselves have discussed when trying to  make sense of the selection policies from league to championship last year. But if anyone took offence, my apologies.

No worries spectator.

By the way does anyone know what this close season in November and December means in reality? LIke is it stritchly prohibited for JOM to have a Mayo get together of any sort?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on November 05, 2008, 10:33:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 03, 2008, 11:25:46 PM

Playing Ballagh lads wont cost him any votes.

It'll hardly gain him any as they will be voting in their own Roscommon constiruency -like J'O'M also does ;)

Whatever. Point is he pissed off a lot of people in Mayo this year. An opinion poll would be interesting now to see if that would affect him with voters. Playing Ballagh lads or not wont put him up or down. Neither will giving a few lads within his constituency a run. Only two football issues might damage him.

MacDonaldgate.

2 awful championship seasons.

I m not sure how damaged he is by those - if at all. As I said an opinion poll would be interesting. And attitude would vary considerably within the county I d say.