2008 Ulster Minor Club Championship

Started by topgun, October 21, 2008, 12:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Rule 132: Age Grades
To be eligible for the respective grades listed hereunder, a player shall meet the stated age criteria on 1st January of the Championship Year:-
Adult: Be over 16 years
Under-21: Be over 16 and under 21 years
Minor (Under-18): Be over 14 and under 18 years
Under-16: Be over 12 and under 16 years
Under-14: Be over 10 and under 14 years
Under-12: Be over 9 and under 12 years
Penalties:
(i) Team Penalty:
- On a Proven Objection - Award of Game to the Opposing Team.
- On an Inquiry by Committee in Charge - Forfeiture of Game without Award to the Opposing Team.
(ii) Suspensions shall be as follows:
(a) Players:
- For playing overage at Under-16 or younger Grades: 4 weeks
- For playing overage at Minor or Under-21 Grade: 24 weeks
- For playing underage at any Grade: 2 weeks
(b) Person(s) in charge of the team committing the Infraction:
- For playing overage Player(s) – 48 weeks
- For playing underage Players – 8 weeks
(c) Chairman and Secretary of a Club: Playing overage player(s) at Minor and Under 21 Grades: 48 weeks

SidelineKick

Jesus, it looks like they could have a strong case on their hands then?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Muzz

By that - it sounds like the player in question would have to be 14 on the 1st January 2008 to be able to play Minor.

Is that right?

If so, what age was he on the 1st January 2008?

amigo

Quote from: Muzz on December 10, 2008, 11:42:14 AM
By that - it sounds like the player in question would have to be 14 on the 1st January 2008 to be able to play Minor.

Is that right?

If so, what age was he on the 1st January 2008?

11 LOL

Muzz

Trying to look for another rule I thought was included and possibly broke - is there not something about a player not able to play 2 tiers above his age group?  E.g. Under 14 can play Under 16 but not Minor? OR Under 16 can play Minor but not Senior?

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 10, 2008, 11:07:10 AM
To be eligible for the respective grades listed hereunder, a player shall meet the stated age criteria on 1st January of the Championship Year:-
Penalties:
(i) Team Penalty:
- On an Inquiry by Committee in Charge - Forfeiture of Game without Award to the Opposing Team.
(a) Players:
(c) Chairman and Secretary of a Club: Playing overage player(s) at Minor and Under 21 Grades: 48 weeks

The lad Bell in question is a huge young man. Probably one of the biggest on the panel. Does that mitigate ?

bennydorano

Quote from: orangeman on December 10, 2008, 10:12:37 AM

If they do progress, it will be tainted.

If they did get back in and win the whole thing there wont be an asterix beside their name in years to come.

tyrone86

Aye, there's a subsection of the rule that say if a lad is massive he can play  ;)

At the end of the day rules is rules, but the question I'd ask is how did Cavan Gaels find out that yer man is still Under 14? In my own experience, unless you're tipped off, you don't know within the 72 hour appeal period if a lad is overage/underage/ not eligible.

amigo

Penalties:
(i) Team Penalty:
(a) Players:

If you are 14yrs and two months for example does this make you over 14 or do you have to be 15?? I would say there is room for interpretation there!!

tyrone86

The way I'd understand it, in this case is, if he was 14 on 31st of December 2007 he'd be eligible, if his birthday was on 1st January 2008 he wouldn't. At the end of the day, it's exactly the same as someone born in November or December not being eligible to play under 14 despite being 14 for the duration of the tournament. Dates are arbitrary, you have to pick a cut off point somewhere.

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on December 10, 2008, 12:08:17 PM
Aye, there's a subsection of the rule that say if a lad is massive he can play  ;)

At the end of the day rules is rules, but the question I'd ask is how did Cavan Gaels find out that yer man is still Under 14? In my own experience, unless you're tipped off, you don't know within the 72 hour appeal period if a lad is overage/underage/ not eligible.

He's so big, he's been the talk locally for a number of years -

I was listening to Radio Uladh on Moday night and it described young Bell as being under 14.

Nobody is concealing the fact that he's under 14 - but it's hardly fair that Ballinderry should lose the game over it.

saffron sam2

Penalties:
(i) Team Penalty:

(a) Players:

What's the difference?

Is it possible Cavan Gaels could get Ballinderry thrown out, yet not be re-instated? An even more hollow victory.

I would also suggest that someone born on 1st January 1994 would be over fourteen on that date (admittedly by a matter of hours) and hence eligible.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on December 10, 2008, 12:34:42 PM
I'd say to clear up any confusion that its taken from midnight on that date Sam. Although GAA rules and confusion seem to go hand in hand....

Send for Frank Murphy !  ;)

full back

Although it doesnt seem fair & it may seem like sour grapes on the Gaels behalf, rules are rules.
If they are broken you have to be penalised

AFAIK, you can only play for 2 age groups so this leaves the lad in question as ineligible
Interesting to see how the GAA handle this one

cavan4ever

Quote from: full back on December 10, 2008, 12:51:31 PM
Although it doesnt seem fair & it may seem like sour grapes on the Gaels behalf, rules are rules.
If they are broken you have to be penalised

AFAIK, you can only play for 2 age groups so this leaves the lad in question as ineligible

I agree with you even though it is very petty.