Should Antrim just field the whole St Gall's team...?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, October 20, 2008, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

well in the scheme of things Minder they have done a lot better than what the county has achieved in many years. they have manged to get to three finals, win won. we managed to get to an all ireland decider. not bad for a wee team from the worst team in Ireland. be like a team from letrim (no offence) getting to their prov. finals and further.

back in the 80's we also managed to win an Ulster and get to the Ulster final the following year only to get beat by the eventual winners, Burren. on top of that we've managed to win various sevens competions. not up to Cross standard yet and after watching Cross last year we are still way off the mark.

by the way brokencrossbar it wasn't a Galls man who posted this shite topic, we would be foolish to think we have achieved anything. Cavan Gaels will be very strong and in Seany Johnstone and the Reillys they have a great team and a lot to prove

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: milltown row on October 21, 2008, 10:23:25 PM
by the way brokencrossbar it wasn't a Galls man who posted this shite topic, we would be foolish to think we have achieved anything. Cavan Gaels will be very strong and in Seany Johnstone and the Reillys they have a great team and a lot to prove

Fair enough, but some of the stuff is ridiculous.  While i accept Cross are an excellent side I would not advocate(apart from in wind up mode) to play them as a first 15 for armagh.   I had this discussion today actually with a Kerry man who said that the likes of Cross would live with most middle tier teams, you know the ones just outside of the top 8-9.  I disagreed with him solely on the basis  that county football at any level is much faster and physically demanding than club football.   Average Joe club players are average joe club players because they don't have the pace/strength/skill level to make it.  They may hold their own in a one off game but over a period of games would not cut the mustard.

I agree that Antrim should build their team around the St Galls team as they bring in the winning mentality.  It is not a coincidence that Armagh's resurgence coincided with our success, but on AI final winning day there were only 4 Cross players took the field and only 3 started..  If there were 7-8 Galls men on the Antrim team, and the other players were able to buy into their winning mentality Antrim wold be a much tougher team to beat than they are.  This, though, needs strong leadership in both the management and county board which I do not see at the minute.

milltown row

OK HS we are the worst team in Ulster and if we were in other provinces we'd be the team everyone wants in the first round. stop kidding yourself.

Naomh Gall have a wining attitude borne out of winning a championship a year before they should have and they have kept going ever since. as most posters know wining with your club mates is the best. Antrim have failed since the 50's to achieve anything and Naomh Gall is not the reason for this. if they had 15 players on the team it still may not work. the managers had a huge bearing on the team and the timing and early development of the players has made the biggest impact

Hurler on the Bitch

I posted this thread as I wanted to get a bit of serious discussion on the board and thanks to those who have contributed. I will of course acknowledge that there is a gulf between club and county football, but I feel that being prepared to die for the shirt is crucial - St Gall's have that attitude! However, the county would be split in three if this idea was followed through. Me? I asked Elvis Presley this question earlier - I said, "Elvis, would you pick the whole St Gall's team for Antrim?' (of course I mentioned Gallagher the Goalie and said that Finucane could do the job) ... Elvis looked me in the eye, winked and said "Uh - huuh" - I assume that was a yes. so there you have it.. Brian White take note!

Hurler on the Bitch

And the poster who thought that I was a Gall's man ... :D just Devil's Advocate...

Puckoon

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on October 21, 2008, 10:55:02 PM
I posted this thread as I wanted to get a bit of serious discussion on the board and thanks to those who have contributed. I will of course acknowledge that there is a gulf between club and county football, but I feel that being prepared to die for the shirt is crucial - St Gall's have that attitude! However, the county would be split in three if this idea was followed through. Me? I asked Elvis Presley this question earlier - I said, "Elvis, would you pick the whole St Gall's team for Antrim?' (of course I mentioned Gallagher the Goalie and said that Finucane could do the job) ... Elvis looked me in the eye, winked and said "Uh - huuh" - I assume that was a yes. so there you have it.. Brian White take note!

Surely if dying for the shirt is whats needed - the Galls boys wouldnt have quit the team after the championship exit last year - regardless of what the reasons were?

dodgy umpire

you have to sympathise with a young lad who doesnt want to play tommy murphy cup when he could be earning money playing football in america?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

milltown row

they do die for the shirt crossbar. they have put themselves through the mill for the club and county for the past few years. playing college and club hurling week in and out. they took the hard choice of opting out after getting beat by Cavan in Casement. and they were pulled through the media by a gobshite looking to fill his pages.

maybe they weren't happy with the commitment from other county players, maybe the set up was not as good as other counties or maybe they just wanted a break. character assassination on here, and we are all guilty of it with out knowing the full facts is easy.  training and playing 5/6 nights a week is good commitment

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on October 21, 2008, 11:31:28 PM
Quote from: milltown row on October 21, 2008, 11:23:32 PM
they do die for the shirt crossbar. they have put themselves through the mill for the club and county for the past few years. playing college and club hurling week in and out. they took the hard choice of opting out after getting beat by Cavan in Casement. and they were pulled through the media by a gobshite looking to fill his pages.

maybe they weren't happy with the commitment from other county players, maybe the set up was not as good as other counties or maybe they just wanted a break. character assassination on here, and we are all guilty of it with out knowing the full facts is easy.  training and playing 5/6 nights a week is good commitment
And maybe there are a lot of other maybes that could be put in there.

Anyway, we went over all this ages ago. Antrim will never field the whole St. Gall's team. Simple as that.
[/b]

granted. lets get behind them in two weeks.  12 pound into casement, may start saving

milltown row

interested, are you a hack?  i didn't blame anybody, stop talking shite. the topic is not about blame. i dont know the reasons as to them leaving and neither do you, but for people to come on here and assume without knowing is wrong.

i have views on the county board and the county teams no different than anyone on here. I've views on a lot of things thats why I'm on the "discussion board"

the topic about Naomh Gall playing for Antrim was answered. they would not be good enough. big difference from intercounty and club. been answered already

nrico2006

Field away, immense difference between club football and county.  I doubt St Galls doubling up as the Antrim team would change much in the way of results.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

Should Carlow have fielded just the Eire og side? Cork - Nemo?

St Galls are an excellent club side but there are a few players who can be bettered in some positions at other clubs. Kieran McGourty is a player who would add to Antrim's stock but his woman's hold is mighty strong and can't see him being allowed to attend training as well as weekend matches. The likes of Paddy Cunningham and Conor Murray at Lamh Dhearg are examples of players who perhaps have more to offer. It's not their fault Hannahstown are mediocre.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

O'Neill that is slander! Unfounded Allegations!

Great to hear of someone in the same boat as myself.

nearlymad

Quote from: interested on October 22, 2008, 11:21:19 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2008, 09:16:02 PM
Should Carlow have fielded just the Eire og side? Cork - Nemo?

St Galls are an excellent club side but there are a few players who can be bettered in some positions at other clubs. Kieran McGourty is a player who would add to Antrim's stock but his woman's hold is mighty strong and can't see him being allowed to attend training as well as weekend matches. The likes of Paddy Cunningham and Conor Murray at Lamh Dhearg are examples of players who perhaps have more to offer. It's not their fault Hannahstown are mediocre.

Meaning he is under the thumb.Is he married and if not can he not trade her in for a model whose grip isn't as tight? ;D ;D

Classic.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"