House Flies

Started by An Gaeilgoir, October 16, 2008, 01:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

i moved in to my new house about a year aga. Ever since we moved in we have had a problem with house flies. I thought that i'd give it a ear and maybe they would disapear. But they are still as bad as ever. I was told iff there is a lot of soil disturbed around a house the flies will head for the atic spaces and lay their eggs there. Does anyone else have or had this problem If i got the house fumigated would they return again next year. We have a one year old in the house and its not ideal. I want rid of them!!!!

mannix

Another Anti fly person, what do these poor poor creatures have to do for a place to live. And I suppose you find it annoying too that they eat a tiny piece of your food when its on the table.
If I was a fly i would call rte and get Joe duffy on your case.

Goats Do Shave

Do you live near a river / lough?

I'm sure the loughshore men will give advice...

full back

Is there many spiders about the house?

I was complaining before about the amount of spiders in the house, but this coincides with a lack of flies about the place.
My advice, get a few tarantula.........that'll soon get rid of the b4stards

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on October 16, 2008, 01:35:55 PM
Is there many spiders about the house?

I was complaining before about the amount of spiders in the house, but this coincides with a lack of flies about the place.
My advice, get a few tarantula.........that'll soon get rid of the b4stards

We have loads of spiders in the house and they are getting bigger and bigger,No joking i saw one the other night that was the size of my fist..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on October 16, 2008, 01:23:01 PM
i moved in to my new house about a year aga. Ever since we moved in we have had a problem with house flies. I thought that i'd give it a ear and maybe they would disapear. But they are still as bad as ever. I was told iff there is a lot of soil disturbed around a house the flies will head for the atic spaces and lay their eggs there. Does anyone else have or had this problem If i got the house fumigated would they return again next year. We have a one year old in the house and its not ideal. I want rid of them!!!!

Maybe you just smell of shit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

You obviously have some sort of area/material in the house which is delightful for them to breed in. Exterminating adult flies is only about 10% of the battle - as they produce serious numbers of offspring. Do you have fruit/veg lying out in a basket or closed garbage cans in the house?

Maybe you should try and fit screens to the windows, so that you can open them without the hewers coming in - especially if you think the source is coming from outside.

Its not a very common sight at home, but window screens are a neccessity in the states/australia, where you have all sorts of seriously nasty bugs, as well as high temperatures.

Hurler on the Bitch

As long as they are not Bluebottles .. feckin crow died in my chimney once and it was a disaster for the parasites for a few days.. Flies.. mmmhhhhh! I suppose you have tried all the sprays etc.... well.... call environmental health at the Councill and ask their advice - its free and they will send someone out - I can assure you that they have seen all this before and it's probably easily rectified... maybe the chimney needs smoked out of summit...

Fun Bobby

Talking about bluebottles

I have them upstairs in 1 room only, every time i go in there is about 6 or 7 of the feckers laying on the floor, and the best thing is the window is never opened and the room is only used now and again

fearglasmor

What you probably have is attic flies.

In the summer the go off and lay their eggs in earthworms in the soil. When winter comes round the hibernate in attics so you will always have a few making their way down to the rooms to pay a visit.

They only breed outside, they wont breed in the house and are only a nuisance rather than any health hazard.

Fumigating is a waste of time as a new batch will make their way into your nice warm attic next year. The quantity of them just depends on how successful they were in th the summer.

The only way you could get rid of them is to stop them getting into the house. Since you have to have vents in a roof, this is practically impossible.

You just gotta learn to live with nature.   :)

Overthebar!

anyone any tips on how to get rid of these things?moved into a new house and they are everywhere, big and small. starting to do my head in!

tyrone girl

Think its the time of year - our house is coming down with me - as is most houses i have been in lately - hateful annoying wee f**kers they are

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Overthebar! on August 11, 2010, 02:57:46 PM
anyone any tips on how to get rid of these things?moved into a new house and they are everywhere, big and small. starting to do my head in!

Have a bath  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ross4life

Quote from: Overthebar! on August 11, 2010, 02:57:46 PM

sticky fly paper does the job

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Catch the high ball

I remember one day last summer when sitting in one day, I managed to kill about 10 flies and a couple of wasps and they were just lying on the window sill like a war scene.

Feckers came on to private property!
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010