The Budget and Lenihans 'call to patriotic action'

Started by Donagh, October 14, 2008, 04:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

1% on income tax, 200 yoyos on second homes, bit more on wine. Don't exactly see too many donning the hairshirt as yet.

muppet

Quote from: Donagh on October 14, 2008, 04:49:14 PM
1% on income tax, 200 yoyos on second homes, bit more on wine. Don't exactly see too many donning the hairshirt as yet.

€200 on second homes is the thin edge of the property tax wedge. 5 years time that will be a €1,000 on every home.

The rest was not to bad but I need confirmation on the PRSI ceiling. They don't announce everything on budget day!
MWWSI 2017

45GoneShort

Going to be filling up 2nite on my way home - 8c on petrol. Might have to look at Diesel car for 09.

BerfArmagh

was it not 6c ?

I think it is a bit unfair yo impose the 1% LEVY on everyone

45GoneShort

Quote from: BerfArmagh on October 14, 2008, 05:32:12 PM
was it not 6c ?

no it is 8c - just when it was actually going down over the last few weeks it'll be pardon the pun driven back up.

Main Street

muppet

Quote from: BerfArmagh on October 14, 2008, 05:32:12 PM
was it not 6c ?

I am a bit surprised but it is a percentage, it is not the same for everyone.

Everyone always says that anyone who earns more than they do 'can afford to pay more tax'.

Edit: Kermit O'Caolán just said exactly that on TV.
MWWSI 2017

TacadoirArdMhacha

I see a lot of the quangos have gotten the chop including a cancer screen body (I think) which is to be amalgamated into the HSO. They were saying on the wireless that giiven recent events, this might be a bit controversial.

Not sure I'll save much going to the South for petrol any more. Probably not worth a separate trip anyway.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2008, 05:00:48 PM
[
€200 on second homes is the thin edge of the property tax wedge.

The more tax on property the merrier till we (taxpayers) get back some of the tax  money thrown at effin robbing builders over the last 10 years by rich folks buying tax reliefs.
I heard on Shannonside today there are 2,300 houses for sale in Co Roscommon at an average asking price of around €200,000 !!! No wonder they are still for sale !!!!
Some day soon reality will intervene and price realism will break out. Unfortunately a lot of people will be left with the so called "negative equity" an awful lot of which is due to silly price inflation generated by tax breaks for wealthy outsiders.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2008, 06:28:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2008, 05:00:48 PM
[
€200 on second homes is the thin edge of the property tax wedge.

The more tax on property the merrier till we (taxpayers) get back some of the tax  money thrown at effin robbing builders over the last 10 years by rich folks buying tax reliefs.
I heard on Shannonside today there are 2,300 houses for sale in Co Roscommon at an average asking price of around €200,000 !!! No wonder they are still for sale !!!!
Some day soon reality will intervene and price realism will break out. Unfortunately a lot of people will be left with the so called "negative equity" an awful lot of which is due to silly price inflation generated by tax breaks for wealthy outsiders.

You can be sure they are exempt Rossfan.

My concern is that they now have their foot in the property tax door. It will go something like this:
2009 Budget: second homes €500 - primary homes Dept of Finance to prepare a white paper
2010 Budget: second homes €1000 - primary homes, decision in 2011
2011 Budget second homes €1,500 - primary homes €200
2012 Budget 2nd €1,500 - primary homes €1,000
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quotewas it not 6c ?

It is 6c+vat.

There is also another 1% levy for anyone over 100 grand.

Quote€200 on second homes is the thin edge of the property tax wedge.

it is much wiser to tax houses every year than just take a huge whack from them when they are sold. The stamp duty fell like a burst ballon when the property prices crashed, while a tax per house would be a stable source of revenue.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

MayoMan

The finance minister is to introduce a flat rate levy in the major urban areas of €200 where an employer provides car parking facilities for workers...  :-\

armaghniac

QuoteThe finance minister is to introduce a flat rate levy in the major urban areas of €200 where an employer provides car parking facilities for workers...

A flat rate levy would be disgrace, the centre of Dublin is quite different than the outskirts of town. Presumably the flat levy is to avoid TDs having to pay too much.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ash Smoker

By all means slap tax on second, third, fourth homes etc.
Speculators and investors were buying up houses at the expense of home makers during the boom.
That's what helped drive prices to such obscene levels.

Property investment is not productive economic activity for the country anyway, so shouldn't be made very rewarding.
If property investors don't like it, they can put their money elsewhere.
Maybe into some venture where they have to actually work for a return or create a bit of employment.

45GoneShort

Quote from: armaghniac on October 14, 2008, 06:47:28 PM
Quotewas it not 6c ?

It is 6c+vat.

There is also another 1% levy for anyone over 100 grand.

Quote€200 on second homes is the thin edge of the property tax wedge.

it is much wiser to tax houses every year than just take a huge whack from them when they are sold. The stamp duty fell like a burst ballon when the property prices crashed, while a tax per house would be a stable source of revenue.

TEXT OF SPEECH ON LEISURE

VAT/Excise
I am increasing the Standard Rate of VAT by ½% to 21½% from 1 December. There will be no change in the zero rate which applies to food, children's clothes and footwear, oral medicines and several other products. The 13½% rate which applies to new houses, labour intensive services, gas, electricity and home heating fuel will also remain unchanged.

Excises on cigarettes will go up by 50 cent per packet of 20. I am increasing the excise on a standard bottle of wine by 50 cent with pro rata increases on other wine products and an increase of 8 cent on a litre of petrol. There will be no excise increase on beer, cider, spirits or on diesel. The excise changes are VAT inclusive and will take effect from midnight tonight.

from rte.ie