Parcel Delivery Scam - Beware

Started by full back, October 14, 2008, 09:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Heard of this scam a year or two ago, but heard it again on the news yesterday
How can the b4stards get £15 for a f**king phone call :o

Police are urging members of the public to be on the alert about a new parcel delivery scam, which tricks people into making a premium rate phonecall - to arrange delivery of a parcel they never even ordered.

The scam operates by sending the unsuspecting householder a card from a company called PDS (ParcelDelivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and to call a specific phone number.  When the householder rings the number they start to hear a recorded message and are thought to be automatically billed £15 for the phone call.

The fraudulent scam is currently under investigation by premium rate phone service regulator ICSTIS and the Trading Standards Office.  The PSNI fears the scam will take in thousands of victims and are advising the public to be extremely vigilant

rosnarun

there is definetly still some kind of scam like this going on . I get spam every few days telling me that i have a parcel waiting for me with the details in the attachment . which i haven't opened.Norton reports it as a virus some times .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

full back

Down Gael

If everyone used some common sense these scams wouldnt work. A card arrives at your address, without your personal details on it, telling a nameless person that they have a parcel waiting for them and to call a number to pick it up. If you werent expecting a parcel you wouldnt call unless you were very gullible.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on October 14, 2008, 10:29:35 AM
Bullshit:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/pds-phone-scam.html
I dunno, Mac, I'd be reluctant to dismiss the story as bullshit, just because Hoax-Slayer picks it up.
Like rosnarun said, there are emails being sent out with more or less the same scam and if the crowd in Belize  were rumbled, there is sweet damn all to stop them closing down and starting up somewhere else.
If full back heard it on the news yesterday, then some one somewhere is trying it on again; it's as simple as that.

BTW, if you read down the page you are using for reference, you will see it was a real scam but was discontinued in 2005.
That makes it a scam, not a hoax and there is no guarantee that it isn't being used again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi