Minor Club Formations

Started by panc56, October 13, 2008, 05:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panc56

I'm wondering if any of you could help me with something. We have a minor club in Longford called Northern Gaels who won this years minor championship for the very first time. They were formed in the early 80's, where two junior clubs came together cause neither could field teams in underage championships and they only played in 9-a-side and 13-a-side leagues. They are not an amalgamation, but a fully formed club in the eyes of the association. As it turns out both clubs have benefitted from the move where they are now Senior sides in Longford and one of the clubs has won two senior championships for the first time also.
Now that they have won a championship at minor level , all the other clubs are kicking up stink about them. Let me remind you one championship at minor level in more than 25 years. Can you tell me if there are any such clubs in existence in your county? Not amalgamations as you often see , but where two adult clubs join together for underage activity as one fully consituted club.
I'd apprciate your comments.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: panc56 on October 13, 2008, 05:23:35 PM
I'm wondering if any of you could help me with something. We have a minor club in Longford called Northern Gaels who won this years minor championship for the very first time. They were formed in the early 80's, where two junior clubs came together cause neither could field teams in underage championships and they only played in 9-a-side and 13-a-side leagues. They are not an amalgamation, but a fully formed club in the eyes of the association. As it turns out both clubs have benefitted from the move where they are now Senior sides in Longford and one of the clubs has won two senior championships for the first time also.
Now that they have won a championship at minor level , all the other clubs are kicking up stink about them. Let me remind you one championship at minor level in more than 25 years. Can you tell me if there are any such clubs in existence in your county? Not amalgamations as you often see , but where two adult clubs join together for underage activity as one fully consituted club.
I'd apprciate your comments.

We amalgated a few years back for one season and were known as Lower Creggan competing in the u16, minor and u21 leagues and championships. The only rule I'm aware of is that amalgations can't compete in the u14 feile (or provincial club championships but Kerry's the only place I think this is an issue).

To be honest though, if both clubs are now senior could they not field separate underage sides. All clubs should be encouraged to field their own underage teams but if the numbers aren't there then amalgamations are the way to go. Lisummon and O'Hanlon's (St Joesph's) are the most regular amalgation in underage football in Armagh that I think of though many others pop up from time to time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

shark

Very common in Westmeath.
St.Malachy's & Ballinagore
Maryland & Tang
C/F/C/W & Ballycomoyle
Kilbeggan & St.Joseph's

None of the above clubs compete seperately at any level from minor down.  They play as above in the 'club' championships be it 'A' 'B' or 'C' level.
Then for the Premier Championships they join amalgamations ,ie Maryland/Tang are joined by Tubberclair to form Shannon Gaels. Only 4 clubs play alone in the Premier.

Two Hands FFS

I think you are right HS...last year or a couple of years ago I think

In North Antrim...3 clubs(Cloughmills/Cushedun/Glenravel) combine at underage from U12 up to U21. They all play separately at adult.

magpie seanie

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2008, 05:37:21 PM
I'm near sure that Sean Stinsons competed in a recent Feile but maybe I'm talking shite.

You are 100% correct Hardstation - saw them playing against my own club in June 2007 when Leitrim (with the help of clubs in Sligo and Roscommon) hosted the competition. Didn't know their history so thanks for that.

In Sligo, Bunninadden and Mullinabreena used to play together at underage under the St. Nathy's banner. The highlight of that was back to back U-21 titles in the early 90's. They both field seperately now.

imtommygunn

Stinson's have always competed in the ulster minor competition too. I thought they'd have been strong enough to win it one year but I think they got beat by Killeavy and Stevie McDonnell could well have been playing. (That's not an "official" ulster tournament I know but I know they have competed in feile competitions etc. as they did very well in the u14 football the other year)

They have a very good underage setup too.

Rav67

Glenullin were Derry 2007 county champions and don't field on their own at any underage level I think.  They are joined with Magilligan (a consistently awful team at all levels so I'd say they're not supplying too many boys to the side).  Glenullin really have no choice, they just don't have the numbers in the area.  The surprising thing is that geographically it's a strange amalgamation, the two places must be nearly 20 miles apart.

In the past 3/4 years it has become very commonplace in Derry due to dwindling rural poulations.  Our club have managed to still go solo despite small and dwindling numbers in the primary school but loads of places with a much bigger catchment haven't been able to- eg Drumsurn, Moneymore, even Ballymaguigan had joined with Newbridge at one age group but I think that was only for one year.  If it has to be done it has to be done, but I would worry about clubs joining just to ngive themselves a better chance of success at an age group.  If you have the numbers, you're primary duty is to provide teams for as many young boys to play as is possible.

milltown row

Sure Ballymurphy and Comedagha (spelt badly) were two separate teams in juvenile leagues and St Johns in championship back in the day >:(

laceer

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2008, 05:35:08 PM
I'm not sure about this one but I think that there are two clubs in Tyrone that come together at underage. They may be called Naomh Muire.

correct - killyman and edendork. have joined up at underage since late 70s/early 80s.think dungannon were also involved in a parish team at the start.killyman - tyrone's smallest club don't have the numbers to field on their own and edendork would be our closest parish neighbours in tyrone.

naomh mhuire have won a number of grade 2 titles over the past 10 years with a few teams playing grade 1.current under 15 team won grade 1 under 13, tyrone feile under 14 and are current tyrone and ulster ogsport champions

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on October 13, 2008, 05:42:42 PM
I think you are right HS...last year or a couple of years ago I think

In North Antrim...3 clubs(Cloughmills/Cushedun/Glenravel) combine at underage from U12 up to U21. They all play separately at adult.

And Carey and Armoy, who compete separately at adult level, have been playing together at underage level as Glenshesk since around 2000

Bensars

Drumquin and Dregish in Tyrone. Two seperate senior teams and as far as i know they amalgamate for youth fixtures.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 13, 2008, 07:36:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2008, 05:37:21 PM
I'm near sure that Sean Stinsons competed in a recent Feile but maybe I'm talking shite.

You are 100% correct Hardstation - saw them playing against my own club in June 2007 when Leitrim (with the help of clubs in Sligo and Roscommon) hosted the competition. Didn't know their history so thanks for that.

In Sligo, Bunninadden and Mullinabreena used to play together at underage under the St. Nathy's banner. The highlight of that was back to back U-21 titles in the early 90's. They both field seperately now.

Not sure where I'm getting that feile rule from then. Was pretty sure St Joesph's don't take part in the feile in Armagh though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

screenexile

Ogra Colmcille (Drummullan) and Moneymore have joined together at underage to form a team called Ogra More.

LaurelEye

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 13, 2008, 05:35:21 PM
To be honest though, if both clubs are now senior could they not field separate underage sides.

Tacadóir, Abbeylara (Panc's team) would just be about able to field a minor team but Mullinalaghta (my end) wouldn't be - our population is less than 500 in total. Northern Gaels would have a combined population of around 1,300 - either smaller than or equal to a good many clubs in Longford - including the one we beat in this year's final and from where a lot of the whining has been coming over the last few years. There are a couple of other similar arrangements in the county that have been formed subsequently - some of whom have larger populations than ours but who haven't had the same level of under-age success (Carrick-Sarsfields, Ballymahon-Forgney, Southern Gaels).

To be honest, my attitude to the whole thing is f**k the begrudgers and the whingers.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

RedandGreenSniper

St Gerard's have been playing as a successful enough underage amalgamation for years in south Mayo. Two clubs are involved, Hollymount (County Senior champions in 91 and 94 but now a middle of the road intermediate side) and Carramore (who have been Junior as long as I can remember). Carramore certainly couldn't field an underage team on their own and Holly would have it tight most of the time. But the argument is made in south Mayo that Garrymore have tighter numbers again but always compete and often do well at underage level.
In north Mayo Round Towers is an amalgamation of (I think) Lacken, Killala and Kilfian who have been together for the last number of years. All three are junior clubs and have to amalgamate at underage level out of absolute necessity. Ardmoy is another one, an amalgamtion of Ardagh and Moygownagh and they're even struggling to play as they are. A few years ago our minors played Crossmolina a few years ago in a county final and Cross had dispensation that year to have minors from Ardagh and Moygownagh because Ardmoy couldn't field a minor team that year.
There'd be a good few more teams in Mayo that may have to go the amalgamation route at underage in the future but it should be borne out of pure necessity, if the numbers are there a team should field, irrespective of what the quality of players is
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year