The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Well they certainly have more money!

Tankie

the big question will be - Where will the possible Leinster v Munster semi - final take place?

It would be some same to send 80k Irishmen to Cardiff!!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Old Bill

howll things pan out for the irish sides this weekend? Just home from ravenhill there. great win for Ulster. Humphreys Og very im pressive at 10 and is surely worth a look at being ROG back up for the 6N. Not in love with Sexton of leinster. Diack and Boss when introduced were very good!

slow corner back

TORGAEL

Jesus, Munster pulled it out of the fire this evening. 13-11 down with less than 5 minutes left but hit back with two late tries to win 23-13. They have an incredible "never say die" attitude.

Lecale2

Great game! Is that them through now?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 13, 2008, 07:45:18 PM

Still very tight Lecale. They're only 2 points ahead of Sale and 5 ahead of Clermont so defeat at home to Sale or away to Mountaban would make things very tight.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 13, 2008, 07:56:36 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on December 13, 2008, 07:45:18 PM

Still very tight Lecale. They're only 2 points ahead of Sale and 5 ahead of Clermont so defeat at home to Sale or away to Mountaban would make things very tight.

Montauban beat Sale this evening in France so you would think that its job on if they beat Sale in Thomond after Xmas. Clermont are a savage side though.....14 men for the majority to the game in Thomond, plus missing a class winger like Rougerie, and you would expect a serious pasting. Cudmore, the lad dishing out the haymakers, has an interesting past - a "debt collecter" for a drug dealer earlier in life in British Columbia........

Gnevin

Well done too ROG on the 1000 points . That is some total  and he is still going. Leinster should be made to sit down and watch replays on Munster's match yesterday until they learn how to grind out results .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

AZOffaly

That was very uncomfortable. This assumption that Munster will always pull it out of the fire is very dangerous.

On Saturday, for about 60 minutes, Munster were outfought, out thought and out played by a very dangerous Clermont team. They deserved to win the game, no doubt about it. They bossed Munster around, and Munster are struggling with the ELV about kicking for touch. It's no longer easy to play the possession game, because now a pass back from outside the 22 to O'Gara cannot go directly into touch. This is leading to a huge amount of kicks straight down the field from defensive positions, and these kicks are not being very well executed.

Munster will have to up it by 20-30% in terms of performance level to even get out of the pool, never mind do anything in the knockout stages.

However, they are a fantastic bunch in terms of honest endevour and hard work. They tackled like demons on Saturday, under a right old onslaught, and then to somehow pick themselves up and take advantage when Clermont finally tired under their own immense workrate was just brilliant.

They are old dogs for the hard road, no doubt about it, but some young pup will beat them unless the wrinkles are ironed out. Monteban's win over Sale should serve as a warning. Sale is a must win game, and it won't be easy either.

turk

How come superman wasn't red carded on Saturday?

AZOffaly

Good point turk. I can only assume that the ref and touchjudge saw Cudmores lunacy, and saw O'Connell not swinging back initially, until Cudmore hit him again, right in front of the touchjudge.

O'Connell threw several digs when he wrestled him to the ground, and if they were caught, I think O'Connell would be sent off as well. I just hope nothing comes out of it this week.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 15, 2008, 12:55:45 PM
That was very uncomfortable. This assumption that Munster will always pull it out of the fire is very dangerous.
At least it is reassuring to know that they don't accept their apparent fate and will push methodically and with determination for a winner, abstaining from the panic that afflicts some other well known province from time to time.

AZOffaly

That's certainly true. And there have been many, many times when they have beaten a better team. Saturday was another.

milltown row

munster looking good. Thomond park looks in some order