The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Looks like Tony McGahan is heading back to Oz. Wonder will Declan Kidney be asked to come back (I'd prefer not), or Eddie O'Sullivan (please no). I'd like Michael Bradley or Conor O'Shea to get it, but I'd imagine Edinburgh and 'Quins would have something to say about  that.

From the indo:

QuoteAnthony Foley is the early favourite to become the new Munster head coach, with Tony McGahan set to announce his departure to become the new Australian defence coach after the apparent breakdown of contract talks.

McGahan has already informed his squad of the decision to leave, even though he has led the side to the quarter-finals of the Heineken Cup and the top four of the Pro12.

Former Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan and the All Blacks World Cup-winning assistant Wayne Smith are also leading contenders, after contract talks between McGahan and his Munster bosses reached a dead end earlier this month.

Munster may also sound out Michael Bradley, although the Edinburgh coach has only just begun an initially successful spell with the Scots, leading them to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals.

Conor O'Shea would be a popular choice, although he has just signed a two-year contract extension as coach of English side Harlequins.

McGahan's decision to leave at the end of the season could persuade some players, such as Tomas O'Leary and Donnacha Ryan, to remain in Munster instead of seeking transfers.

McGahan, who initially joined Munster as a defensive coach for their debut Heineken Cup win in 2006, was reportedly keen to stay on after his side's success in reaching this year's knockout stages.

However, the lure of a prestigious role in a revamped Robbie Deans-led coaching set-up in his native country, twinned with the protracted contract negotiations, has persuaded the Queenslander to make his decision.

He had responded brilliantly to Munster's failure to qualify from their Heineken Cup pool last season, by guiding the province into this campaign's knockout stages with six wins from six.

His side also won the Magners League last year and, with Foley seemingly groomed to succeed him in the medium-term, it seemed that McGahan would prolong his stay after the successful introduction of emerging stars such as Simon Zebo and Peter O'Mahony.

- David Kelly

Geoff Tipps

The players would favour Foley I'd imagine.

AZOffaly

Yeah they would. Not sure about that though. He's definitely made the forwards better than they were under Laurie Fisher, but I don't know what he'd be like as a 'big picture' man. Conor O'Shea is definitely a big picture man.

Dinny Breen

McGahan I feel was not appreciated by the Munster faithful and only now are Munster fans realising that Kidney left an awful mess behind, too many old players and a wretched academy set-up. He was a good coach and will be a loss for Munster.

Foley has potential but that's it, would love to see him take a 2 year sabbatical and spend a year coaching NZ and England, just to broaden his horizons and then come back into the Munster fold.

Surprised you mention Bradley as a successor, has done surprisingly well with Edinburgh but wasn't a popular coach in Connacht but he does have the family connections...

Someone like Mark Hammett would be a great choice - schooled in the Crusaders way and now head coach of the Hurricanes, young and ambitious..
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Nice addition to the Leinster cause for 3 months

Big Brad

Capt Pat

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 07, 2012, 05:41:01 PM
Brad Thorn?

Old news

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 26, 2012, 05:22:19 PM
Looks like Brad Thorn could be signing on the dotted line for Leinster for the rest of the season, that would be savage..
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Ulster have a new coach - Mark Anscombe

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10277.php

Not on my radar but apart from an u/20 WC win is success rate ain't too hot, interesting choice.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

back in action this weekend -

1 - Munster v Ulster
2 - Edinburgh v Toulouse
3 - Saracens v Clermont
4 - Leinster v Cardiff

Semis is 1 v 2 and 3 v 4

I will go with tradition and the 4 home wins, but where is the shock likely to come at. Thomond perhaps? Edinburgh ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

whitegoodman

Id prob go for 3 home wins and Toulouse myself.  Munster Ulster is going to be seriously interesting tomorrow.

Cave v Earls
Trimble v Zebo
Pienaar v Murrey
Tuohy v Ryan

Just a few of the interesting one on one match ups, a lot of them maybe playing for summer places to NZ.

If Ferris was fully fit which I just dont think is possibe I would have taken a chance on Ulster but him not being fully 100% tips it in Munsters balance with home advantage also a big factor.

CorkMan

What time's the Leinster match kicking off at?

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Celt_Man

Edinburgh after causing an unbelievable upset beating Toulouse in Murrayfield...

Micheal Bradley is after working a miracle to get the second to bottom team in the Rabo League to beat one of the Powerhouse in European Rugby...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

trileacman

Quote from: Celt_Man on April 07, 2012, 04:52:07 PM
Edinburgh after causing an unbelievable upset beating Toulouse in Murrayfield...

Micheal Bradley is after working a miracle to get the second to bottom team in the Rabo League to beat one of the Powerhouse in European Rugby...

Toulouse were hopeless, how the mighty have fallen.

For the Leinster fans when was the last match were you thought "Heaslip was excellent today"?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014