FERMANAGH V DOWN Preliminary Round USFC

Started by imagine, October 08, 2008, 08:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 30, 2009, 09:53:39 PM
I think Fermanagh will win this. I don't think Down have the same work rate or intensity as Fermanagh. I also think that Down are liable to implode when the pressure is put on. The game is in enniskillen which is a hateful place to go to get a result. Saying that I'd like Fermanagh to win as I'd like Cavan to have a home game against the winners (if Down win the next game is in Newry).

I'd haved to disagree with this statement. Down on their day (championship football)can match anyones wokrate, eg Tyrone in Omagh + Newry last year.  The problem is putting a string of good performances together.  Went out against Armagh in semi final last year with a lacklustre performance knowhere near that which was reached against Tyrone.  Lifted it again for the qualifiers all be it against weaker opposition and then imploded in Croke Park.  Hopefully something has been learned from last years championship and we can get a run this year of consistent performances!  Better to get beat playing well and go out with a bit of self respect than getting beat knowing you underperformed!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Minus15

Despite not really setting the world alight during the league at least Down got promotion and that was achieved despite having nowhere near a championship 15 out for the majority of games. I would fancy Down to beat Fermanagh. I always fancy Down to win anyway. Just something about the championship that you always expect Down to raise their game and do it, whether justified or not. But for an opening game in enniskillen against a well organised fermanagh i expect down's first 15 to have too much for them and raise their game to get the job done.

Caid

I think Fermanagh will have absolutely no fear playing Down on 17th.  Despite all Fermanagh's woes in the league, as someone said earlier, we were there or there about in most games.  Down are something of an unknown quantity, and granted we hadnt beat them until that time in the qualifiers, but I think these people that say "you expect Down to win in the Championship" are sadly misguided these days given Tyrone/Derry/Monaghan/Armagh would all be favourites in a game against Down and Fermanagh/Donegal would be a bit of a coin toss (but on recent years form you would not favour Down).  Few expected Down to beat Tyrone in the first round and this time more people seem to be tipping Fermanagh than Down, probably due to home advantage.  A few years ago you might have been worried about going up against Benny Coulter and Dan Gordon but i'd be relatively confident that Lyons/Goan and Marty will be able to keep them quiet enough.  Danny Hughes sounds to be Down's highest scoring forward these days but I don't know too much about him.  Aidan Carr looks like a grand player and he could be the one to keep tabs on.  Its weird as he'll presumably be in the half back line but it might be worth putting someone like Tommy Mc on him to keep tight to him on his forward runs (i'll happily sacrifice the points in the Gaelic Life comp if he's kept scoreless!).  This aside there's always the U-21 effect to take account of and that could be a factor here.

I have a feeling this game could come down to how many scoreable frees Fermanagh miss and how many scoreable frees Fermanagh give away.

Nonetheless, Brewster Park should see us through, Fermanagh by 2
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Minus15

Caid like i said rightly or wrongly i expect down to win every time i go to watch them in the championship. whether that be the build up to the game during the week or whatever and the excitement playing a part i don't know but i always feel confident. thats no disrespect to fermanagh or any other team. last year i expected down to beat tyrone and they did. I expected them to beat armagh and wexford aswell and they didn't. I was merely reflecting on what i feel about the current side that on there day if they click and get a bit of luck in a c'shp game they could beat most sides. I'd rather go to a game confident than expecting defeat

No1

Any of the Down posters have any idea what kind of shape Kevin McKernan and Liam Doyle are in?

DownFanatic

Quote from: No1 on May 07, 2009, 09:27:51 AM
  Any of the Down posters have any idea what kind of shape Kevin McKernan and Liam Doyle are in?

Heard a rumour a few weeks back that Liam Doyle is unlikely to ever play football again as his knee will not be strong enough. Now my source for this has a reputation for the odd porkie but he seemed genuine enough about this.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 07, 2009, 12:09:17 PM
Quote from: No1 on May 07, 2009, 09:27:51 AM

Heard a rumour a few weeks back that Liam Doyle is unlikely to ever play football again as his knee will not be strong enough. Now my source for this has a reputation for the odd porkie but he seemed genuine enough about this.

I heard the same thing about Doyle months ago, a good friend of mine would be friendly with Liam and he said it wasn't looking good. I haven't had any updates in the last few months but I`ll ask again next time I am in Liatroim.

No1

If that turns out to be the case that is terrible news for the fella, he's been so unlucky.  So much potential too.

thewobbler

The Down team really could be anything at this stage, which is kind of worrying:

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Ciaran McGovern OR Martin Cole OR Damien Rafferty
3. Aidan Carr OR Paul Murphy OR Peter Turley OR Conor Garvey
4. Luke Howard
5, 6 and 7. Three from Aidan Carr, Paul Murphy, Damien Rafferty, Peter Turley, Conor Garvey, Declan Rooney, Brendan McArdle, Kevin Duffin
8. Peter Fitzpatrick OR Stephen Kearney OR Joe Ireland OR Ambrose Rogers
9. Dan Gordon
10, 11 and 12. Three from Daniel Hughes, Ronan Sexton, John Boyle, John Fegan, Brendan McArdle, Conor Maginn, Peter Fitzpatrick, Stephen Kearney
13. Benny Coulter
14. Ronan Murtagh OR Cathal Magee
15. Paul McComiskey

I'm assuming that Kevin McKernan is out injured, and the likes of Timmy Hanna, Jamie O'Reilly and Colm Murney won't force their way in now.

It would be easier to pick this week's lotto numbers than guess what team will line out. Out of our central spine, only Dan Gordon is a sure pick in one position.

My take on the match is that bar 2-3 key exceptions, Down will have better individuals throughout the field - but that Fermanagh will be more tactically aware, better prepared, and their players will have a greater understanding of their role in success, not to mention homefield advantage. If it's a nice warm day, Down's natural flair should be too much, as Fermanagh would need to dominate midfield thoroughly to outscore Down. But anything else will see this one going right down to the wire, and I'd say a replay in Newry is a very realistic possibility.

souljaboy

Cathal Magee, Luis Sloan, Rory Simpson and Kevy Anderson all of the Down panel

My Down team would be:
1 McVeigh
2 Cole
3 Turley
4 Howard
5 Carr
6 Garvey
7 Murphy
8 Gordan
9 Fitzpatrick
10 McArdle
11 Rodgers
12 Maginn
13 Hughes
14 Coulter
15 McComiskey
I like Big Butts and I cannot lie

DownFanatic

Quote from: thewobbler on May 07, 2009, 02:17:04 PM
The Down team really could be anything at this stage, which is kind of worrying:

1. Brendan McVeigh
2. Ciaran McGovern OR Martin Cole OR Damien Rafferty
3. Aidan Carr OR Paul Murphy OR Peter Turley OR Conor Garvey
4. Luke Howard
5, 6 and 7. Three from Aidan Carr, Paul Murphy, Damien Rafferty, Peter Turley, Conor Garvey, Declan Rooney, Brendan McArdle, Kevin Duffin
8. Peter Fitzpatrick OR Stephen Kearney OR Joe Ireland OR Ambrose Rogers
9. Dan Gordon
10, 11 and 12. Three from Daniel Hughes, Ronan Sexton, John Boyle, John Fegan, Brendan McArdle, Conor Maginn, Peter Fitzpatrick, Stephen Kearney
13. Benny Coulter
14. Ronan Murtagh OR Cathal Magee
15. Paul McComiskey

I'm assuming that Kevin McKernan is out injured, and the likes of Timmy Hanna, Jamie O'Reilly and Colm Murney won't force their way in now.

It would be easier to pick this week's lotto numbers than guess what team will line out. Out of our central spine, only Dan Gordon is a sure pick in one position.

My take on the match is that bar 2-3 key exceptions, Down will have better individuals throughout the field - but that Fermanagh will be more tactically aware, better prepared, and their players will have a greater understanding of their role in success, not to mention homefield advantage. If it's a nice warm day, Down's natural flair should be too much, as Fermanagh would need to dominate midfield thoroughly to outscore Down. But anything else will see this one going right down to the wire, and I'd say a replay in Newry is a very realistic possibility.

Cathal Magee has left the panel so we will probably see Coulter and McComiskey in the full forward line with either Murtagh or Hughes on the edge of the square. More than likely Murtagh.

Carr seems to have a fair bit of faith in John Fegan and id expect him to start on one of the wings. With Murtagh likely to start at full forward he'll probably go with Hughes at No.11. The other wing position is a toss up and if he goes with Fitzpatrick in midfield, I can see Kearney taking up the number 10 shirt. If Kearney is drafted in to the middle, he may indeed plump for Benny McArdle. However, id prefer Ronan Sexton in there.

Gordon is the only certainty at midfield. A fit Ambrose would be his obvious partner but if he isnt fit Id throw Fitzpatrick in to the mix. He's the man for the big occasion.

I wouldnt know where to start with the backiline. McVeigh will be between the sticks and Id say Ross will go for Howard and McGovern in the corners. Garvey may well be the full back.

In the halfback line Aidan Carr is a definite while I wouldnt be suprised if Declan Rooney took up the centre and Murphy was placed on the wing.

At the moment this is what I think Carr may be edging toward:

1. Brendan McVeigh

2. Ciaran McGovern
3. Conor Garvey
4. Luke Howard

5. Aidan Carr
6. Declan Rooney
7. Paul Murphy

8. Dan Gordon
9. Peter Fitzpatrick

10. Stephen Kearney
11. Daniel Hughes
12. John Fegan

13. Benny Coulter
14. Ronan Murtagh
15. Paul McComiskey

Fíor Gael

My starting 15:

1. B. Mc Veigh
2. Luke Howard
3. Conor Garvey
4. Monk Cole
5. Paul Murphy
6. Peter Turley
7. Declan Rooney
8. Peter Fitzpatrick
9. Dan Gordan
10. Michael Magee
11. Aidan Carr
12. Stephen Kearney
13. Danny Hughes.
14. Benny Coulter
15. Paul Mc Comiskey

16. M Mc Allister
17. D Rafferty
18. C Mc Govern
19. C Murney
20. A Rodgers
21. J O Reilly
22. R Murtagh
23. J Fegan
24. C Poland.

FermGael

Well according to the impartial we best Louth last week in a friendly by a goal.

I think that the winners of this game will progress to an Ulster final.

Down have great options upfront and as a Fermanagh man, we would take either Micky Walsh or John Clarke( and they cannot even make the Down panel).
But we have a great defence and should be able to contain them.
Gordon is as good as any midfielder in Ireland but McGrath should be able to at least break even against him.
Upfront we are very limited but Down have a poor defence.  Carson will do damage at full forward.  Sure McBarron destroyed them last year in the league in Newry.
So the teams are pretty evenly match IMO.The Fermanagh backs, Gordon and McGrath at midfield with the Down forwards would be some team

The crucial difference between the two teams is the management.  Here i think that Fermanagh  have the better management team and i think that's what could swing the game in our favour.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

buglebhoy

1. B. Mc Veigh
2. Luke Howard
3. Conor Garvey
4. Monk Cole
5. Paul Murphy
6. Declan Rooney
7. Aidan Carr
8. Ambrose Rogers
9. Dan Gordan
10. Ronan Murtagh
11. Benny Coulter
12. Fegan
13. Danny Hughes
14. Paul Mc Comiskey
15. D Rafferty

Thats my starting 15. Not sure if Ambrose is injured or not?? but if he's fit he has to start! He was awesome in last years championship. Full back line is grand, good man markers in there. Half back is a bit dodgey with very attacking minded footballers. Murphy can foul quite a bit but then again Fermanagh didn't really have a free taker last year. Will always rise to the big occassion though! Aidan Carr has to start also, plays well in big games. Murtagh at 12 because he loves winning break ball. Benny is a nightmare for any team bombing down their throats and we all know what mccomiskey and danny can do on their day with decent ball in. Not sure about D rafferty. Put him in there because no one else. John Clarke if available but he's obviously not going to be putting on a jersey this summer.

Really think ross should swallow a bit of pride. Colgan, Clarke and Mickey Walsh are 3 quality quality players that Down could do with and it's obviously a personal issue with all 3.

Down to win by 4 points

SQUAREBALL

Quote from: buglebhoy on May 08, 2009, 02:17:14 PM
1. B. Mc Veigh
2. Luke Howard
3. Conor Garvey
4. Monk Cole
5. Paul Murphy
6. Declan Rooney
7. Aidan Carr
8. Ambrose Rogers
9. Dan Gordan
10. Ronan Murtagh
11. Benny Coulter
12. Fegan
13. Danny Hughes
14. Paul Mc Comiskey
15. D Rafferty

Thats my starting 15. Not sure if Ambrose is injured or not?? but if he's fit he has to start! He was awesome in last years championship. Full back line is grand, good man markers in there. Half back is a bit dodgey with very attacking minded footballers. Murphy can foul quite a bit but then again Fermanagh didn't really have a free taker last year. Will always rise to the big occassion though! Aidan Carr has to start also, plays well in big games. Murtagh at 12 because he loves winning break ball. Benny is a nightmare for any team bombing down their throats and we all know what mccomiskey and danny can do on their day with decent ball in. Not sure about D rafferty. Put him in there because no one else. John Clarke if available but he's obviously not going to be putting on a jersey this summer.

Really think ross should swallow a bit of pride. Colgan, Clarke and Mickey Walsh are 3 quality quality players that Down could do with and it's obviously a personal issue with all 3.

Down to win by 4 points

Thats abit of an insult to the rest of the forwards on the panel. Looking at this thread most fellas havent a starting place for rafferty in the defence never mind attack.