Tyrone v Armagh - Ulster Championship 2009

Started by Kerry Mike, October 08, 2008, 08:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

well you can review all your "dropped" categorizations. I have it on good authority that not one player has been droped from the armagh squad in 2009.

mountainboii

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:04:27 PM

well you can review all your "dropped" categorizations. I have it on good authority that not one player has been droped from the armagh squad in 2009.

So there was going to be a 37 man panel then? With at least a dozen guys that had next to no chance of ever featuring in the Championship.

DuffleKing

obviously there would have to have been a cut. you are missng the whole point. all of these guys walked meaning that the panel is now made up of those who did not walk, rather than those wha have been chosen

mountainboii

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:10:42 PM

obviously there would have to have been a cut. you are missng the whole point. all of these guys walked meaning that the panel is now made up of those who did not walk, rather than those wha have been chosen

How do you know they 'walked'?

I find it an amazing coincidence that the six or seven guys that have 'walked off' the panel were also the six or seven guys most likely to be dropped when the panel was cut. I also find it an amazing coincidence that the number of men that have 'walked off' the panel is conveniently the exact amount needed to bring the panel down to the customary 30 men. When the likes of Ronan Clarke and Ciaran McKeever start leaving the panel then I'll start to believe something is up.

corn02

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:10:42 PM

So if you knew why did you post for an update?

DuffleKing

Corn02 - The statement was made that the players who left were either 1- not committed enough, or 2 - not good enough. i simply asked who was which.

I know that they all walked. so, it seems, does everyone else bar your good self. maybe you have a link to a championship squad announcement or an article stipulating "exclusions"? you're even suggesting McKeever was dropped?

corn02

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:40:14 PM

Corn02 - The statement was made that the players who left were either 1- not committed enough, or 2 - not good enough. i simply asked who was which.

I know that they all walked. so, it seems, does everyone else bar your good self. maybe you have a link to a championship squad announcement or an article stipulating "exclusions"? you're even suggesting McKeever was dropped?

Woah calm down there tiger,

Where did I say they were dropped?

I'd say the jumped before pushed play a part in some decisions.

DuffleKing

corn02

mountainboii

You 'know' they walked, as do quite a few on this board and others. When questioned about how you know you refer to 'a very good authority' - in other words, your mate sent you a text or some bullshit. A whole pile of complete and utter shite being written on this thread, but then again we wouldn't be Irish if we didn't like a good gossip.

As I've already stated, lads like Neil O'Rourke and Barry McDonald were never likely to get anywhere near a championship team no harm to them. They are lads that were only retained from the McKenna Cup panel because we were missing 7 or 8 guys out with Cross and injury. Once the Cross guys and lads like Toner and Donaghy, who had been injured, returned the services of those 6 or 7 retainees were no longer needed. FFS Barry McDonald and Mal Mackin have been playing in the McKenna Cup for us for years now before usually being dropped well before the championship. I suppose you can add lads like Gareth Smyth to your list of 'walkers'  ::)

On Paddy McKeever - I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped, however its more likely that he was given a hint or two that he wasn't much needed this year and decided to go out of his own accord. McDonnell obviously doesn't fancy him, he used him very sparingly last year and despite having him available, he only used him as a sub once or twice in this year's McKenna Cup. Too many miles on the clock I'm afraid, and plenty of significantly younger players capable of offering just as much at the minute.

Real1995

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 17, 2009, 03:40:14 PM

In all honnesty DK...McGrane or Bellow were never intended to be included in these catogories and I think anyone who thought otherwise would be foolish...They both retires DK, yes retired! True Armagh legends who gave there absolute everything towards the county...something a few of those who walked away could learn a lot from!
Nice guys always finish second!

bennydorano

Enquired re the JP leaving rumour and was told he hasn't left at all.

Getting a bit carried away lately on this thread. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: bennydorano on April 17, 2009, 05:20:27 PM
Enquired re the JP leaving rumour and was told he hasn't left at all.

Getting a bit carried away lately on this thread. 

I agree Benny.

I wouldn't disbelieve that a lot of the fringe players left the panel out of their own will. One of the sadly inevitable consequences of the fact that we are unlikely to be challenging for an All Ireland is that good club players are less likely to want to bust themselves all year in training to get a place on a panel where they will get no football and are unlikely to have any silverware to show at the end of it.

Now obviously anybody not wanting to play for their copunty is a concern but the best way of addressing this issue is being improving the amount of club football fringe county players get. I can see no justification for anybody outside the first 20/22 not playing club football a week before a championship. Indeed for players who are only likely to be called on for 10 / 15 minutes in an emergency, there's no reason for them not being fit to play a club match on a Friday night and be available amongst the subs for their county on a Sunday.

The last thing any players trying to break into a senior team needs is a year of stagnation, kicking their heels on a county subs bench while their club is desperate for them to play and unfortunately that's something which has happened to too many players in the recent past.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armagh leg-end

well i heard that a number of the guy 'who left the panel' were dropped! dunno what the latest two tho!

the squad had to be cut sometime!lol
Ard Mhacha Abu

Throw ball

TAC I have to agree with you as regards the fringe players. I believe that a player like Swift suffered in his development as he sat on the bench through a number of campaigns when playing more for his club may have made him a better player now still on the squad making a major contribution. To be fair to McDonnell I believe that the fringe players got more club time last year. In many ways the only players not to suffer as much in this regard would have been the Cross players as their club was still playing as others were sitting with their feet up.