who's the best irish international rules player???

Started by nutsy--1, October 07, 2008, 10:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the green man

Quote from: INDIANA on October 08, 2008, 12:06:20 AM
pat o byrne from wicklow, the aussies simply didn't want to know when he was around. we could do with 25 of him now.

That'll be this debate closed.

Our Nail Loney

Coulter or Geezer myself... Thats going by the most recent series'

Onion Bag

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on October 08, 2008, 11:15:12 AM
Coulter or Geezer myself... Thats going by the most recent series'

Agree 100% the 2 boys got stuck in and took no shit, and also played well over the 2 tests
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

blanketattack

The best of all time was Jack O'Shea. He won or was nominated for best and fairest 3 or 4 times.

Minder

Quote from: the green man on October 08, 2008, 11:07:11 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 08, 2008, 12:06:20 AM
pat o byrne from wicklow, the aussies simply didn't want to know when he was around. we could do with 25 of him now.

That'll be this debate closed.

I remember Joe Brolly saying he was an absolute beast and the Aussies didnt know what to make of him.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

118cmal

Quote from: Real1995 on October 07, 2008, 11:20:32 PM
always was impressed by Tom kelly...

agreed. 

Thought Joyce always faded in and out of games.

Who do we think can stand out for ireland this year??

Meehan perhaps???

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Onion Bag on October 08, 2008, 09:27:20 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 07, 2008, 11:25:49 PM
Stevie McDonnell, Benny Coulter and Padraig Joyce would be the three I'd think of.

The only thing wrong with Joyce is that he doesnt like the rought stuff, he would be a bit yellow

::)

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Jinxy on October 08, 2008, 10:50:06 AM
Stevie McDonnell, Benny Coulter and Padraig Joyce would be the three I'd think of.

The only thing wrong with Joyce is that he doesnt like the rought stuff, he would be a bit yellow

I personally prefer the term "windy".

Jesus, tis little ye boys know if the terms windy & yellow are being bandied about about PJ...........Wouldnt mind an example of this windiness/yellow streak if ye have any handy lads??? Good luck finding it...........

Leo

My Aussie Rules pal says the current crop have nothing on Blaney and Jack O'Shea who are both still regarded as stand-out players in those parts.
Fierce tame altogether

full back

Geezer, closely followed by Coulter in recent years
PTG wasnt bad either
O Shea always stood out when I was watching it as a gassan, although it was more about scudding for a lot of players back then

peterquaife

Geezer...an ox of a man, when a cafuffle started, and the camera panned in, you were near happy it was McGeeney there and not some other poor hooer who couldnt take the heat

118CMAL, thats one hell of a homo pic

PQ

Onion Bag

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on October 08, 2008, 01:19:03 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 08, 2008, 10:50:06 AM

I personally prefer the term "windy".

Jesus, tis little ye boys know if the terms windy & yellow are being bandied about about PJ...........Wouldnt mind an example of this windiness/yellow streak if ye have any handy lads??? Good luck finding it...........

I cant get my hands on anything there, but i remember watching the game and it was as obvious as hell, everyone round me was saying it, including people in Galway tops rows breaking out and PJ standing watching, lads runinng past him to get stuck in, I suppose hes  afraid of getting that nice hair of his wrecked
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Jinxy

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on October 08, 2008, 01:19:03 PM

Joyce is one of the greats of our game but like Onion Bag says it was obvious he didn't fancy putting his body on the line against the aussies. One game in Croke Park stands out in my mind. I got quite frustrated with him as did plenty of others around me. Pure class as a gaelic footballer though. No problem there.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

fred the red

Would the full test series of the international rules be available for previous years?

it would be leathal if they brought out a DVD like the lions tour.