Ulster Club Senior Hurling Championship 08

Started by Two Hands FFS, October 06, 2008, 06:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Cushendall by 8. i fancy a scoreline of 3-16 to 1-14  a shane double and Paddy McGill major. mainly frees for B/Galget and Martin Coulter getting the goal for them

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on October 19, 2008, 10:44:01 PM
Official match report

Ballygalget started shite.
Shane McNaughton had a stormer.
Martin Og Coulter should take the Og out of his name but had a good game.
Ballygalget came into it well.
Ref was a dungbag. Some baffling decisions.
Cushendall won. Fair play, Cushendall.
Loads of pints. Fair play, hardstation.

WE WUZ ROBBED   >:(

The start ultimately cost us the game this time around. IMO we started with the wrong man on Shane McNaughton as it was going to be a big ask of Chrissy Branniff to hold him as he's quite raw at this level and was caught the wrong site far too often. I'd have started wee Liam on him and Chrissy on Aidan Delary as Aidan isn't the same player he was a few years ago. This seemed to panic a few of the other defenders as big Aaron was particularly jittery, dropping balls, missing lifts etc gifted the Dall forwards a good few scores, including the goal in the opening spell. Chrissy was extremely lucky to stay on the field after his shoving the hurley into McNaughtons head. Seamy Roddy had his hands full with shane but knew how to sheperd him better into wider angles. Apart from shane McNaughton and the odd forray from McManus, Sean Delargy and McGill, the Dall forwards didn't pose that much of a threat. Our problems were getting the ball low into Dingy and stevie Clarke who looked fairly dangerous when in possession, as some of our lads were intent on trying to run the ball, Darren Flynn being the worst culprit for running down blind alleys and losing the ball rather than letting fly into the spaces.
Big Magic's arrival had only one desired effect in that it made Cushendall put another defender in front of him giving dingy more space now in the half forward line. Magic himself didn't touch leather although he may have got a touch to the goal which wasn't given for a square ball which was a harsh decision as the only man who may have possibly been in the square was Paddy rat and he was in the other corner from where the ball came in and no way near the keeper who missed it completely. The umpire and referee totally coped out on that one, home town decision or what! It's always been said that if you want to beat Antrim or an Antrim team in Casement you'll need to win it well as any close decisions will go against you and that proved the case yesterday. Even after we got the goal and with time running out one of our lads was blatantly bundled over in our own half back line, yet no free as it would have been either dropped in or within Grahams range. That aside there were some strange decisions against both teams, two hand passes which looked clean enough to me, plus one overcarrying by a Cushendall defender not that long after big Aaron had been correctly adjudged to overcarry. Even the double sending off could have been avoided as both lads were only slapping each other and apart from a bit needly was harmless enough. Poor refereeing is one thing but poor umpiring is in excusable, Yet again this Sunday we had umpires who didn't seem to know how to position themselves and scratching their heads when scores were disputed. The cushendall farwards complained about one wide which did look be over, from the sam gobshites who gave the square ball.

In all fairness Cushendall do have the better hurlers yesterday, shear heart and determination kept us in the game and we could and should have won it but for poor decisons from some of our own players as well as the referee.
I think they'll need to rethink some of their tactics as the better teams won't play aimless balls into their sweeper plus the likes of whoever comes out of Connaught (most likely Portunma) will be able to cope with Shanes pace a lot better. Fighting a rear guard action won't get you enough scores on the board in February.

Also I really do begrudge paying those f**kers on the ulster council £12 into a game when as someone rightly said, they made no effort to make the final into a spectacle, no band or f**k all. I'd also say they screw both clubs when it comes to diivving up the money by not declaring the full takings plus subtracting some petty fines for a hurley carrier being on the pitch with one sock down or the likes. Shower of useless c***ts if you ask me.

maxpower

Weather convinced me not to travel, well weather and the nipper keeping me up all night.  Being honest i didn't think it would be a game at all, can't understand how a team who Cushendall spanked by 20 odd points recently could turn that around, wish i had went now.

Fair play to the dall for sneaking through.

Agree JC that UC do feck all to entertain at these games, £2 last year for programmes that just where (incorrect) team sheets from games taking place all over ulster. Maybe i'm wrong but when i was at Casement last year with Dunloy i didn't give a shit how Trillick where lining out in the intermediate football championship.

Given what HS and JC say i would be shocked if anyone other than Shane mcNaughton gets Ulster club player of the year and i wouldn't have expected that 1 month ago.

As for Cushendall i do think thy will have a real chance of getting to an All Ireland club final, unless i'm wrong its Munster opposition this year and as daft as this may seem that is probaly the favourable draw.  Certainly i wouldn't like to face either Portumna or Ballyhale shamrocks who have every chance of coming out of Connaught and Leinster respectively.

Watched the TG4 coverage of Sarsfields and Toomevara and if i were a Cushendall man i'd be confident going in against Toome, i don't think eoin brislane will ever have a game again like he had yesterday and but for some misplaced passes Sars could have been in for 3 goals in last 5 mins.

So wouldn't be overly fearful of Tipp champions, Newtonshandrum have been beaten in cork & clare & Limerick haven't for a few years produced the big club teams

I wonder what the odds are on the Dall for the AI, e/w worth a punt?
What happens next????

Lecale2

IHC final, Gort Na Mona v Liatroim was fixed for Sunday in Newry but Ulster Council have now called it off due to an appeal.

Who is appealling - Carrickmore? Does anybody know?

milltown row

seems that Carrickmore have lodged an appeal regarding the score line. maybe on the bases that Carrickmore players could have went fore goals or changed tactic had they have known the correct score. Offaly and Clare played a replay after a wrong scoreline didn't they? so it has been done in the past. interesting, cant see Gorts playing as bad though again and they should go through should it be played again.

mr_t

Carrickmore have appealed to the CHC after the Ulster Council knocked them back.  Basically, their appeal is full of mad dogs.  Their argument is that they were going on the referee's score at half time (which he had mistakenly down as 6-4) and tactically that interrupted with their game plan!!  The fact remains that they scored a goal in the last few minutes and then we scored a free to make it 2 points to us, tactics had no part to play as this happened inside the space of 2 minutes!

I was playing in the match, we had the score 5-5, my man i was marking had it 5-5, the supporters had it 5-5, the reporters had it 5-5 and so on and so forth.  Most importantly, however the management of Carrickmore at the time had it 5-5 (they said it on their way off the pitch).  Therefore, we went on the basis that the ref was mistaken and that it was level at half time, Carrickmore should've done the same.  I'd say they did but only when they ended up on the wrong side of a defeat did they say they weren't. 

At the end of the game, their players were on the floor, their supporters were devastated and my man said 'good luck in the final'.  So although, they hurled well and battled well, they knew they were beaten.  It's very unsportspersonlike on their behalf to be doing this on the two deserving finalists.  They are chancing their arm.  The video evidence is there to prove it, we watched it, they watched it as did the Ulster Council.  No doubt the CHC will do the same and then if need be so will the DRA.  The result will be that we'll be rightfully in the final v Liatroim but we'll be seeing Santa flying above us during the night of 24th December during the game!!

Grow a pair and admit defeat you pack of w*****s.  >:(  >:(  >:(

nrico2006

I see you have made the jump from Hoganstand Mr T.  Basically this is an undesierable situation and the referee has obviously made a hash.  But from a neutral point of view, if the ref is indicating a score to a team then they take his word - so in this case I can see C'more having a case as there was also a precedent set a few years ago.  Their whole mindset would have been different if they knew the correct score, and this had an adverse effect on their performance.

Also, did Armagh Cuchulains not get in as Armagh representatives after beating Middletown?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Lecale2

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 23, 2008, 07:12:33 PM

Also, did Armagh Cuchulains not get in as Armagh representatives after beating Middletown?

They did and Gort Na Mona beat them easily in the Q/F.

Worst nightmare for the ref.

mr_t

Yes, didn't know this site existed until today!  This seems o be the place for all the bitches then never mind Caffreys.  Cuchulainns did get through, we tanked them by about 20 in the last round.

RE: Our game v Carrickmore.  They know they were beaten, they knew the score, they admitted this at half time and after the match.  Therefore, this did not affect their 'tactics' on the day.  The only performace that was adverse was ours!!  The referee's performance could be added to this,  you cannot use their argument, it doesn't stand up.  The idea of the winning team are the ones who score the most chances given to them in a game, that was us, they know it and we did too.  To suggest otherwise is to open up a whole new can of worms.  Sure whats to stop us arguing that the refereee's performace was so abysmal that it wound up our players that much that it had an 'adverse' effect on our gameplan??  IMO, this is what happened to us but it doesn't stand because we know that we should get on with things.

They are chancing their arms at this, they know they were beat!

Lecale2

milltown row

Quote from: mr_t on October 23, 2008, 09:16:18 PM
Yes, didn't know this site existed until today!  This seems o be the place for all the bitches then never mind Caffreys.  Cuchulainns did get through, we tanked them by about 20 in the last round.

RE: Our game v Carrickmore.  They know they were beaten, they knew the score, they admitted this at half time and after the match.  Therefore, this did not affect their 'tactics' on the day.  The only performace that was adverse was ours!!  The referee's performance could be added to this,  you cannot use their argument, it doesn't stand up.  The idea of the winning team are the ones who score the most chances given to them in a game, that was us, they know it and we did too.  To suggest otherwise is to open up a whole new can of worms.  Sure whats to stop us arguing that the refereee's performace was so abysmal that it wound up our players that much that it had an 'adverse' effect on our gameplan??  IMO, this is what happened to us but it doesn't stand because we know that we should get on with things.

They are chancing their arms at this, they know they were beat!

if ya beat them, and you knew and they knew you beat them handy enough then whats the point of not playing them again? Gorts are a good team and a tyrone team should not come close to ya. play them and beat them.

why did youse only beat them by 2 points anyway?  an interm. team from Tyrone!!!!

theskull1

Stirring MR? That oul urban animosity raises it's head again?  :)
Surely you know one match can be very different to the next?

Dont worry......I'll tell you your blind spots
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bacon

The Junior Final is on this Sunday in Ballyshannon with Setanta taking on Lisbellaw. Setanta to win that one I think.

Apparently Carrickmore's appeal will be heard next Tuesday with the final or sem final replay (if they win the appeal) fixed for Sunday 9th Nov
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

milltown row

i'm not stiring. i quite like Gorts. honest hard team that train hard and love gaa games, they are a credit to Belfast. my problem is they are a better team than Carrickmore and all the moaning about it wont change the fact that had any of our clubs found a loop hole to get a second chance they'd take it. end of. all this talk  about 'you lost dont appeal' or 'take it like a man' stuff does not do it for me

its happened before so it was bound to be up held/won for Carrickmore

Aye Hardstation, watched that match against youse at Casement with Carrickmore. onced Rossa wised up at halftime the game was over

theskull1

Jeez I dunno milltown. If it was that black and white as regards the score, I don't there'd be that many would appeal
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera