Another attack on the GAA

Started by T Fearon, October 06, 2008, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/ed-curran/article13994027.ece;jsessionid=52D347861063BC694E17237D7A2838A9?postingType=posting&mode=thanks&postingId=13994141

This call to be more open is a bit rich from a paper that styles itself as cross community but has never ever featured GAA, ulster's most popular sport, as the lead Sports story on its own back page. Also, what are the GAA's links with the catholic church?

mylestheslasher

I don't know Tony. The guy is from a different background than us and he seems to be promoting the GAA to other people like himself. I do disagree with the bits where he mentions the GAA not reaching out enough to unionists - in my experience this is not the case. In fact I think it is unionist politicans demonising the GAA that is the biggest problem. I think your thread title is misleading - that article could not be called an attack in my opinion. In fact, it could be a could article for promoting the GAA amongst people in the unionist community.

Bensars

Quote from: T Fearon on October 06, 2008, 02:27:22 PM
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/ed-curran/article13994027.ece;jsessionid=52D347861063BC694E17237D7A2838A9?postingType=posting&mode=thanks&postingId=13994141

This call to be more open is a bit rich from a paper that styles itself as cross community but has never ever featured GAA, ulster's most popular sport, as the lead Sports story on its own back page. Also, what are the GAA's links with the catholic church?

Is this the same paper that recently run a guess the score competition for the Gaelic football championship ?

You're some hypocrite Fearon. Did they not reward you with a free Armagh Jersey? If you had have backed Tyrone in the final they also would have rewarded you with £  3000 !

Orior

FFS Bensars, change your avatar. I'm trying to work here  >:(
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

Bensars, I have no problem with the paper, just the hypocrisy of some of its writers.

When will Mr Curran similarly call for the IFA to reach out to Catholic nationalists

Also when will the Telegraph print stories about Ulster's most popular sport as the lead on its back pages?

Gabriel_Hurl

T Fearon

Correct!

And I also got more correct predictions overall than the person deemed to be the winner of the entire competition got

thejuice

I think its always worthwhile getting the point of view of those outside GAA circles. people need to stop looking upon them all as attacks but look at what the issues are. I dont think this is a case of attack here.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

under the bar

QuoteWe hoped no one would recognise us, or report back to our families, friends or school, that we had been seen, standing under the Tricolour, listening, may the Lord forgive us, to the Soldier's Song, sung with frightening fervour.

I believed his fanciful story up until this point.........

ziggysego

Last week you were commending the Belfast Telegraph on a story that was anti-GAA....
Testing Accessibility

Jinxy

I can't see much wrong with that article to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Jinxy on October 06, 2008, 04:29:34 PM
I can't see much wrong with that article to be honest.

It's Tony after all

dublinfella

I'm mystified as to what the 'attack' on the GAA is here. Then I remembered that Fearon isn't even a GAA man and sees OWC plots everywhere

Orior

Quote from: under the bar on October 06, 2008, 03:52:46 PM
QuoteWe hoped no one would recognise us, or report back to our families, friends or school, that we had been seen, standing under the Tricolour, listening, may the Lord forgive us, to the Soldier's Song, sung with frightening fervour.

I believed his fanciful story up until this point.........

Bit of artistic licence being used there. Can you mime with "fightening fervour"?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maguire01

Seems like a reasonably favourable article, considering the perspective it's written from.