Will it have no effect?
3 (10.7%)
Will the refs enforce it
8 (28.6%)
Will managers whinge when in place?
11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

DUBSFORSAM1

Based on the new rules that are going to be enforced for the pre-season games and the leagues how do people think they will impact the game?

Ensuring that Body Checks especially after the player has played away the ball, dragging down a player, tripping a player by hand, foot or hurley, neck high tackles, wrestling with a player either on the ground or off the ball and remonstating with a referee in an agressive manner all lead to removal from the game and replacement by a sub.

Will these have a major effect on teams? Are they more beneficial to stronger squads? How long will it take for Managers to whinge about players being ordered off for cynical play that its not fair etc?

Which teams are more likely to be affected? Will it impact Kerry/Armagh/Tyrone/Monaghan more than others?

Bensars

Just a question on this .

If  a team has already used the full quota of subs and an incident occurs whereby a player is yellow carded, is a replacement allowed in that instance ?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Bensars on October 04, 2008, 02:20:21 PM
Just a question on this .

If  a team has already used the full quota of subs and an incident occurs whereby a player is yellow carded, is a replacement allowed in that instance ?

My understanding is that they won't be allowed a replacement.

rrhf

I can see it actually becoming a reward system for diving vand guys like Martin O Rourke will have a field day. . Why dont they just make the game 11 a side from the start and get on with it - instead of sening everybody off.     

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: rrhf on October 04, 2008, 02:26:50 PM
I can see it actually becoming a reward system for diving vand guys like Martin O Rourke will have a field day. . Why dont they just make the game 11 a side from the start and get on with it - instead of sening everybody off.     

Well if players weren't making 3rd man tackles, or head high tackles or body checking or cynically dragging players to the ground then where is the problem???

Uladh

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 04, 2008, 02:42:10 PM
Well if players weren't making 3rd man tackles, or head high tackles or body checking or cynically dragging players to the ground then where is the problem???

What happens currently when these incidents occur?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Uladh on October 04, 2008, 02:45:47 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 04, 2008, 02:42:10 PM

What happens currently when these incidents occur?

3rd man tackles/body checking/dragging down players at most gets a yellow card and the player just stays on.....usually the team with the ball are nearly all the big losers.......how often do you see a player get dragged down in his own half by a forward etc to stop a breakout from defence and allow the defence to get back in place or a player going through on goal getting dragged down outside the large parallelogram and only a free/yellow card allowed....

Uladh

The reality is that most of these offenses are currently ignored by officials. that will continue

Barney

The whole system where a player is dismissed for a yellow card is ludicrous.

If we had a decent panel of refs you could say something. But God help the teams that end up with the likes of Marty Duffy, and McQuillan who black card for first foul, yellow for second, and then you're off. No common sense brought to the game. Even in basketball you can get away with five fouls.

Its another blackmark against the feeble premiership of Nicky Brennan. No need to interfere with the game. All we are going to see is more diving and less of the physical stuff.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Barney on October 04, 2008, 06:35:24 PM

If we had a decent panel of refs you could say something. But God help the teams that end up with the likes of Marty Duffy, and McQuillan who black card for first foul, yellow for second, and then you're off. No common sense brought to the game. Even in basketball you can get away with five fouls.

Its another blackmark against the feeble premiership of Nicky Brennan. No need to interfere with the game. All we are going to see is more diving and less of the physical stuff.

Barney - the difference is that these are for specific fouls which have no place in the game and which are totally beneficial to a defending team and go against an attacking team...In basketball you can get removed before 5 fouls in basketball depending on the foul.....and you also have the team foul whereby you get free throws when too many fouls given away...

Please tell me what good physicality comes from a body check after a player plays the ball, tripping guys with hands/feet, fighting off the ball, abusing the ref, neck high tackles etc

magpie seanie

QuoteThe whole system where a player is dismissed for a yellow card is ludicrous.

100% correct Barney. This is a seriously retrograde step. I have often been accused in the wrong of saying "the sky is going to fall in" but in this case I really do think this rule change is the final nail in the coffin in terms of physicality in gaelic games. I play a bit for the clubs second team and we usually have 16 or 17 bodies with us for a game. You'll be afraid to tackle a lad now in case he does the old grab your arm and fall over trick and thats the end of the game for you (I noticed Dubsforsam1 omitted this from his list).

I never thought I'd say this but Nickey Brennan has been a considerably worse president than Seán Kelly.

Tatler Jack

QuoteI never thought I'd say this but Nickey Brennan has been a considerably worse president than Seán Kelly.

Agee Seanie and its some achievement!! ::)

I feel recent prsidents have far too high a profiile seem to think that they have a duty to leave their mark on the Association and end up doing too much interfering. I could look back on some predients who achieved a lot more than Kellly or Brennan and who were rarely in the public spotlight.

Rossfan

So Seanie - tripping, 3rd man off the ball tackling,wrestling on the ground, abusing refs - are you saying these should all be allowed in the interests of "physicality" ?
THe main problem I see is that like many other rules and/or instructions to Refs over the years they will be applied in the early part of the year and against the little teams but come July/August the Kerrys/Corks/Dublins/Tyrones etc will be allowed carte blanche in the interests of "letting the game flow".
Sure if ya had no bloody refs at all the games would flow grand?  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Barney on October 04, 2008, 06:35:24 PM

Exactly, a  utter nonsense. What's wrong with imposing a suspension system for picking up 3 yellows over time, like is done in other codes. But no, you get put off for yellow cards now, absolute nonsense from the clowns in HQ, and counties like ours will swallow it unquestioningly.

As for Mr Duffy, well if we played Ballisodare with him in charge, with both sides having no more than 3 subs probably, the game could finish 12/13 a side without a single red shown. Pure bullshit.

magpie seanie

QuoteSo Seanie - tripping, 3rd man off the ball tackling,wrestling on the ground, abusing refs - are you saying these should all be allowed in the interests of "physicality" ?

Interesting how you leave out the one about pulling down an opponent. How are you supposed to tackle a lad if he's going to grab your arm and fall over and get you a yellow card. Refs keep falling for it so that will hardly change under this system. As for the others - if it is clearly deliberate and cynical then it has no place in the game. Trouble is I have zero confidence in referees so I don't like a system like this where a player doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.