DUP CAMPBELL on line now - Live web chat

Started by An Fear Rua, October 01, 2008, 11:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/CustomPages/CustomPage.aspx?pageid=75416

very selective in what questions are answered..........

10:29 DCAL Minister Gregory Campbell will commence answering your questions from 11am 
10:51 SUBMIT YOUR QUESTIONS BELOW

10:59 [Comment From Paul]
When will a decision be made on the Maze stadium? 
11:01 Very shortly. 
11:03 [Comment From Pat, Belfast]
Belfast has such a proud history of community arts - with theatres such as the late lamented Arts Theatre and The Group Theatre providing great plays and entertainment during some of the worst years of the Troubles. Has DCAL any plans to increase community arts funding? 
11:03 Community Arts funding is a matter dealt with by the Arts Council which is an arms-length body of DCAL. 
11:04 [Comment From john burke]
do you feel your small mindedness and petty bickering in relation to the position of the tyrone gaa team and your uncultured attitude to the whole issue has contributed to the "circling of the wagons" mentality now evident in government? 
11:05 I congratulate all sporting excellence in Northern Ireland and, therefore, have no difficulty including the Tyrone GAA team in defeating Co Kerry from the Irish Republic. 
11:05 [Comment From John]
Did the DUP not let down the Orange Order yesterday by failing to meet with the Ashdown Review on parading in Stormont? 
11:07 The DUP were ready and in place to meet the Ashdown Review Team but, unfortunately, circumstances surrounding the deputy First Minister's availability precluded the meeting taking place.   The DUP remains ready to meet with the Ashdown Team again as with the Orange Order. 
11:09 [Comment From Paul Campbell]
Have the Irish Football Association complied with all the DCAL/SportNI requirements needed to release the balance of the £8million promised grant aid and if not, what specifically remains for the IFA to do? 
11:10 Quite a number of the matters requiring resolution from the IFA have been addressed.   There are a small number of matters still outstanding, hopefully will be resolved in the near future. 
11:11 [Comment From Paul Campbell]
Do you believe that the 'history' of treatment and experience of Nationalists going to Windsor Park when attending football games can be overcome should it be decided to re-develop Windsor Park as the international venue? 
11:11 I believe the experience in recent years of fans from all backgrounds at Northern Ireland home games has been an excellent one and hopefully that will continue whatever the outcome of the national stadium issue. 
11:12 [Comment From Gareth Wilson]
Irish language is considered by many as a 'hobby' language spoken fluently by a very small minority. Does it warrant an actual 'Act' when its audience is so small? 
11:12 No 
11:12 [Comment From Phil]
In discussions with Sinn Fein thus far has the DUP ruled out any immediate movement on devolution of policing and Irish language legislation? 
11:14 Numerous discussions have taken place between the DUP and Sinn Fein on the policing and justice issue.   Three months ago we both agreed this matter should be referred to the Executive Review Committee of the Assembly.   That remains our position.

11:14 [Comment From Charlie Stevens]
Should Northern Ireland have a new flag? e.g the St Patrick's Cross, with the six pointed star and the red hand in the centre. Given that Nationalists have accepted the St Patrick's Cross in the PSNI badge, the other symbols should also be acceptable i.e 6 counties and the red hand. In other parts of the UK, the regional flag flies alongside the Union Jack. We either need to start flying the current NI flag or create one as soon as possible. 
11:15 The national flag is the union flag.   If each of the respective countries that comprise the United Kingdom wished to fly flags representing their specific countries alongside the Union flag I would have no objection to that. 
11:16 [Comment From Phil]
Why would the DUP not consent to devolution of policing and justice on condition that it must be held by the Alliance party for the time being? 
11:17 We did not oppose such a suggestion.   The issue is whether Government in its entirety stops until policing and justice is resolved to Sinn Fein's satisfaction or do discussions continue on that matter while all the other outstanding issues are progressed through Executive meetings. 
11:17 [Comment From Charlie Stevens]
Isn't it time for Northern Ireland to have it's own football anthem, like Scotland and Wales? This could be played along with God Save the Queen. 
11:18 This issue should be discussed and resolved by the football supporters and authorities themselves. 
11:18 [Comment From Paul Campbell]
How long will it take for a catholic/nationalist to hold a position of an Office Bearer at the IFA and the fact that one hasn't held such a position since the IFA's conception, if not at least in living memory, concern DCAL in terms of 'equality proofing' and the release of funds to this organisation? 

11:20 I have no information about the religious affiliation of any of the officebearers in the IFA (or the GAA Ulster Council  for that matter).   The appointment of such posts is a matter for each of these organisations. 

11:20 [Comment From Charlie Stevens]
Given that the GAA refuses to become a normal sporting organisation, isn't it time to stop funding it under equality laws? And if funding can't be stopped, should the Orange Order set up a sporting wing (youth football teams in every Orange Hall)? If so, could they expect full funding without having to meet cross-community criteria (like the GAA)? 

11:23 Since becoming Minister I have raised the issue of concerns surrounding the background and history of the GAA, significant progress has been made in recent years but more needs to be done.   

11:23 [Comment From Michael]
there is a real big need for a motor sports centre - the Maze site would be perfect and there will be no sectarion issues - will it be considered? 

11:26 2+4 Motorsport umbrella group is the body which makes representation for the motorsport fraternity in Northern Ireland.   I have had very positive discussions with this group and any suggestions which may emerge at future discussions I will obviously consider. 

11:26 [Comment From Phil]
How is equality legislation met when DCAL funds sporting organisations which have explicit political and terrorist names and features? ie the GAA names many clubs after terrorists and plays the Irish national anthem at matches. Isnt this breaching equality legislation? 

11:27 Since becoming Minister I have raised the issue of concerns surrounding the background and history of the GAA, significant progress has been made in recent years but more needs to be done.     

11:28 [Comment From Guest]
Will the local government in any way ever help clubs locally in giving funding to pave the way for full time football to help our standing in Europe to move up the rankings. 

11:28 Through my Department Sport NI have a number of funding streams available to clubs to assist in development of their grounds. 

11:29 [Comment From Equal opportunity Prod]
Isn't it about time that the British/Unionist culture got the same backing as the Irish/Nationalist culture. And would an Irish language Bill skew the funding crisis even further in favour of rampant nationalists? 

11:30 I want to see resources deployed in such a way that the British identity receives equitable funding. 

11:30 [Comment From Niamh]
Will the Minister host a reception for the Tyrone teams who won the All Ireland minor and senior championships? 

11:31 All requests for receptions will be considered. 

11:31 [Comment From RJM]
The Maze question has already been asked, but do you not accept that a National Stadium for just soccer and rugby, 25,000 capacity, located in Belfast, is the way forward. Have you visited the Liberty Stadium in Swansea. They play both soccer and rugby there and it would be the perfect model for NI to follow. 

11:32 I haven't visited that stadium but in the very near future I hope to bring some clarity to the uncertainty which has dogged this issue for so long. 

11:33 [Comment From John, Tyrone]
When will you introduce an Irish Language (Acht na gaeilge) as set down in the St Andrews agreement? 

11:34 St Andrews was an agreement between our Government and the Government of the Irish Republic.   

11:34 [Comment From Rob]
"Very shortly". Do you not mean when the Sinn Fein Deputy First Minsiter agrees with you? 

11:35 All Parties exercising vetos need to understand the mutual nature of this process. 
Its Grim up North

An Fear Rua

11:36 [Comment From George]
What do you think of the BBC's approach to Ulster Scots - particularly its last-minute decision to remove A Dander With Drennan from the schedule of BBC1 last Wednesday when it was so popular with viewers? 

11:36 I support the BBC's decision to screen Ulster Scots-related programmes.   I wish to see them screened more rather than remove them from the schedules. 

11:36 [Comment From Ravenhill Resident]
What more do you think the GAA could do to make itself more acceptable to the whole community? 

11:37 The Newsletter will be carrying  a substantial article from me on this issue shortly. 

11:38 [Comment From Paul Campbell]
Your "very shortly" answer on the Maze stadium is patronising at the very least. Will it be 1 day, 1week, 1 month or more? 

11:38 It is not patronising but a factual statement of the current position. 

11:38 [Comment From Ravenhill Resident]
What has your party delivered for the Loyal Orders in government? 

11:41 De-rating of Orange Halls, establishment of a Loyal Orders liaison group has been set up and there is now an open-door policy with my Department on cultural matters.    The DUP  have also produced a document on the gains recently achieved. 

11:41 [Comment From drew in portadown]
No you well Gregory and im fully disgusted with the dup for going into government with Sinn Fein. 

11:42 We demanded that Sinn Fein sign up to policing and the rule of law, that the IRA disband its weaponry, that having been achieved we are now in a much stronger position to resist any further all-Ireland advances than we would have been previously. 

11:43 [Comment From howard portadown]
Why did the dup change their never never never to surrender, surrender, surrender, when the mindset of republicans has never changed 

11:44 Whether the mindset of republicans has changed or not, they have been forced to forsake their terror and armed strategy and we are now in a better position to strengthen the link within the UK than we were previously. 

11:44 [Comment From Dave]
Do you feel local football fans needs are being catered for by local broadcasters in comparison with other sports? A lack of an Irish League highlights show is the most obvious example that make them feel they are not. 

11:44 Local broadcasters should show more Irish league football. 
Its Grim up North

full back

Quote from: An Fear Rua on October 01, 2008, 11:47:44 AM
[11:36 [Comment From Ravenhill Resident]
What more do you think the GAA could do to make itself more acceptable to the whole community? 

11:37 The Newsletter will be carrying  a substantial article from me on this issue shortly. 

11:44 [Comment From Dave]
Do you feel local football fans needs are being catered for by local broadcasters in comparison with other sports? A lack of an Irish League highlights show is the most obvious example that make them feel they are not. 

11:44 Local broadcasters should show more Irish league football. 
[/i]

The article should be interesting ::)

FFS, there is far too much coverage of Irish League Football

The b4stard makes my blood boil
A lot of the questions & answers show we are still in the dark ages in this country

youngfella

some sports minister!!! anwsering questions on everything but sport.
Pull hard and early

imtommygunn

Charlie Stevens
QuoteGiven that the GAA refuses to become a normal sporting organisation,

What is a "normal" sporting organisation when it's at home?

This newsletter article should be some craic.

Gees your man is an awful bigot. How anyone can vote a boy like this into any position of power is beyond me. His pettiness so far on the GAA,and there is sure to be more to come, is a joke.

An Fear Rua

last of it

11:45 [Comment From Bill]
Is it not time for the DUP to deliver for the loyal brethren in Portadown so that they can march their traditional route back from Drumcree church to Carlton Street Orange Hall? 
11:46 We have been facilitating the Orange Order's discussions in this regard and will continue to do so until a satisfactory resolution is reached for the Portadown Orangemen. 
11:46 [Comment From Beece]
Hi Gregory. 
11:46 [Comment From John]
You often seem to be against the Irish Gaelic language here in NI. Since your own surname is of Gaelic origin, do you not find your stance quite ironic? 
11:46 My Ulster-Scots background both name, history and culture are well known.

11:47 [Comment From Beece]
How about setting a max date for the devolution of policing and justice, say within the 7year timeframe the IRA took to decommission. set it from the date of the Sy Andrews agreement, ie. a max of 5yrs from now? 
11:48 A very interesting proposition, hopefully confidence within the wider community could be obtained within the timeframe you have suggested. 
11:48 [Comment From phil]
Minister, I consider you have avoided the question; may I repeat it; In discussions with Sinn Fein thus far has the DUP ruled out any immediate movement on devolution of policing and Irish language legislation? 
11:50 Discussions about the devolution of policing and justice have continued intensely in recent months.   We intend to continue these discussions but NO Party can set a blockade of all other business until policing and justice is resolved to their satisfaction without feeling a backlash from the wider community. 
11:50 [Comment From Gareth Wilson]
Are Sinn Fein on a collision course to collapse the Assembly as their all-ireland agenda is not being realised under the current arrangements? 
11:51 This would be a matter for Sinn Fein.   We will not be intimidated by intransigence. 
11:52 [Comment From jamie]
Why does the DUP not put more pressure for the disbandment of loyalist paramilitary groups? they are the true blight on protestant working class communities. 
11:52 We continue to press for their disbandment. 
11:53 [Comment From aisling]
Is the naming of GAA clubs after republican icons just an excuse for you to attack the GAA? 
11:54 Since becoming Minister I have raised the issue of concerns surrounding the background and history of the GAA, significant progress has been made in recent years but more needs to be done.     
11:55 [Comment From Brian]
On a lighter note, were you not delighted to see Institute win their first away match of the season away to Glenavon. It is good that our Sports Minister actually takes an interest in the Irish League and is an avid supporter of Institute. 
11:55 Yes 
11:55 [Comment From Séamas]
You state that Irish Gaelic should not have an Act in NI yet this flies in the face of steps taken in other parts of the UK - Scotland and Wales. There are more Gaelic speakers here than in Scotland and yet the language community here still has no official recognition. 
11:57 Both Irish and Ulster-Scots should get and do receive support from my Department.   The facts are that the Irish language historically received much more than Ulster-Scots.   That situation cannot and will not be maintained. 
11:57 [Comment From kieran o'connor]
dont come to celtic park. 
11:58 Thank you for your kindness and better luck in your remaining Champion league games in the future. 
11:59 [Comment From Rebecca]
Would the DUP consider merging with a new Conservative & Ulster Unionist Party in Northern Ireland? 
11:59 No 
11:59 [Comment From Guest]
Mr campbell, why do you insist on bring politics and boundaries into the dicussion on the Tyrone GAA team? 
11:59 I didn't. 
12:00 [Comment From Omagh Unionist]
Gregory, How important was the decision to devolve power for the Community Festivals Fund down to local government? 
12:00 This decision was taken under my predecessor. 
12:01 [Comment From paul harrison]
mr campbell, what are your thoughts on the current 'famine song' debate in Scotland and Ireland? 
12:01 There should be fairness and impartiality by sporting authorities in dealing with the small number of fans who bring discredit on their clubs. 
12:02 [Comment From Phil]
ref devolution of policing and justice - Minister, you appear to have avoided answering the past two questions on this, so I must conclude the following; The DUP appears to have ruled out any immediate movement on policing and justice and the Irish Language Act in discussions with Sinn Fein so far. Also; the DUP will not at present actively support the Alliance Party alone holding the post. Am I wrong on either point? 
12:03 You appear determined to miss the point.   Discussions on policing and justice should continue until a resolution is reached, ensuring that other Government decisions are stopped in advance of this is not the way to proceed. 
12:03 [Comment From Paul]
Is there any chance that Gerry Kelly will ever be the Minister for Policing & Justice here? If not, can you explain how the DUP have ensured that wont happen? 
12:04 Discussions on policing and justice need to continue but the outcome must be that the appointment of a future Justice Minister is on the basis of cross-community support within the Assembly.   I trust this answers the question on the personalities who may think they are in the frame. 
12:05 [Comment From Paul Campbell]
Since becoming Minister you say you have raised the issue of concerns surrounding the background and history of the GAA, have you done likewise with the IFA and if not, why not? 
12:05 The IFA have no history of naming grounds or cups after dead terrorists. 
12:06 [Comment From Ravenhill Resident]
How do you see Northern Ireland playing a role in the 2012 Olympics? 
12:07 Hopefully we will be in a position to host pre-training camps and have elite facilities in place for the Games; the first of the elite facilities I announced in June. 
12:07 [Comment From JP]
Mr Campbell, Re Charlie Stevens comment, how exactly does the GAA promote inequality? There are no rules stating that you cannot join based on race , colour or creed, unlike of course the Orange Order. Can you confirm this for us please? 
12:09 The Orange Order is not a sporting organisation.   I will be dealing with the GAA issue in a Newsletter article shortly. 
12:09 [Comment From Paddy T]
Do you think football in the North is a lost cause given that Linfield are partly funded by the IFA & no other team can even come near to the same income stream? 
12:10 I intend to ensure that Irish league football is promoted and supported insofar as I possibly can. 
12:11 [Comment From Guest]
Mr Campbell, will you propose , on the peoples behalf and in your role as Sports minister , that the Tyrone teams receive official recognition at Stormont? 
12:11 All requests for receptions will be considered and a response issued in due course. 
12:11 [Comment From Mr Parker]
Will Institute be playing Champions League football within the next five years? 
12:12 We live in hope. 
12:12 [Comment From PJ]
Which MLA has the nicest legs Minister? 
12:12 I couldn't possibly comment on this. 
12:13 [Comment From Gary]
What would the cost of an Irish Language Act be and would that money not be better spent heating pensioners homes? 
12:13 There would be an enormous cost to introduce and implement an Irish Language Act. 
12:14 [Comment From jamie]
does funding for ulster scots groups not just put more of a burden on the public purse rather than creating equality 
12:14 People are either in favour of equality or they are not. 

12:15 [Comment From philip]
Why do you have such a dislike for the Irish Language and giving it the same status as welsh, and scots, there is no "mutual nature" to what appears to be an irrational fear of a language you don't speak 

12:16 I don't have a dislike for the Irish language, but I am determined that equality of opportunity be afforded all indigenous language/cultural groups. 

12:16 [Comment From drew portadow]
Why has the DUP capitualated to the IRA and let them into government. Will never vote for the surrender party again. 

12:18 We have ensured that the IRA objective cannot be met and we intend to build on that good news story for the future. 

12:22 Thanks for the questions.   I found it an enjoyable experience and my thanks also to the Newsletter for hosting the event.

Its Grim up North

corn02

11:55 [Comment From Brian]
On a lighter note, were you not delighted to see Institute win their first away match of the season away to Glenavon. It is good that our Sports Minister actually takes an interest in the Irish League and is an avid supporter of Institute. 
11:55 Yes 

:D The man loves his banter. Great response.

Maguire01

Quote from: youngfella on October 01, 2008, 12:21:27 PM
some sports minister!!! anwsering questions on everything but sport.
His remit is Culture, Arts and Leisure - sport is only one part, it just happens to be one of the most high profile.

nrico2006

He also loves : Since becoming Minister I have raised the issue of concerns surrounding the background and history of the GAA, significant progress has been made in recent years but more needs to be done. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maguire01

Yes, you have to wonder if some DUP assistant was actually given a library of 'standard answers' to fit any questions on a given topic (e.g. GAA or Irish Language).

I'd also like to know what the benefit is in writing an article in the Newletter about the GAA, considering hardly anyone reads it and most who do will be DUP voters anyway.

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 01, 2008, 01:30:48 PM
Yes, you have to wonder if some DUP assistant was actually given a library of 'standard answers' to fit any questions on a given topic (e.g. GAA or Irish Language).

I'd also like to know what the benefit is in writing an article in the Newletter about the GAA, considering hardly anyone reads it and most who do will be DUP voters anyway.

Hmmm I wonder.........

TacadoirArdMhacha

Clearly the benefit is to take a good hard line to please your average Newsletter reader so that they don't desert his party because he's seen attending fenian sports.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

thejuice

I think his answers related to the GAA were a copy and paste job.

I assume he's a busy man but I think if he wants to make progress in matters with the GAA he needs to spend more time talking to the Ulster council and grassroot GAA folk and not posting his whims under the rock that is the Newletter. To be honest that was a big waste of 45 minutes for a Member of parliament. What exactly could he or the readers possibly have got from that. Perhaps the questions were a bit to blunt. Politicans always clam up in those cases.

Perhaps in GAA matters if someone had asked "how would you envisage a future for the GAA where it is acceptable for both communities?"
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on October 01, 2008, 02:15:01 PM
I assume he's a busy man but I think if he wants to make progress in matters with the GAA

:D :D :D

Doire abú