DUP and the GAA

Started by Orior, September 29, 2008, 05:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on November 27, 2016, 10:03:33 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 09:36:56 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 26, 2016, 06:07:44 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 26, 2016, 06:00:29 PM
Same as Gregory Campbell attending a Down game in Newry when he was Sports Minister and like Greg she appeared after the National Anthem,in any event soccer is not a unique part of unionist culture but enjoys huge following from all sides
What is unique Unionist culture?

Welcoming the royals to Belfast and arselicking
Proclaiming loyalty
Plamasing in Westminster
Calling people Fenians
Do you actually know any Ulster Protestants?

I do. Lovely people. One of my uncles is from Ulster.

But as Nietzsche said "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule."

I was listening to the sash. I didn't realise it namechecked Dromore. 

Orior

Same as Gregory Campbell attending a Down game in Newry when he was Sports Minister and like Greg she appeared after the National Anthem,in any event soccer is not a unique part of unionist culture but enjoys huge following from all sides

Proclaiming loyalty
Plamasing in Westminster
Calling people Fenians

Arrogance
Sponging of the British
Shame of being Irish
Shame of having no culture
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gold

Quote from: michaelg on November 27, 2016, 10:03:33 AM

Proclaiming loyalty
Plamasing in Westminster
Calling people Fenians
Do you actually know any Ulster Protestants?

Honestly Michael....what is it?

Northern IRELAND but not Irish etc....i honestly find the Ulster Unionist desire to be more British than Britain dumbfounding.....whilst wanting to beat England at sport yet singing god save the queen.

It is just so weird.

Ive said before about how near all towns are anglicised versions of Irish words like Derry's Oak Grove and how  nationalists will obviously feel a connection to the land, language etc yet unionists feel a connection to somewhere else baffling

Please do not dismiss this as a bigoted post, it isnt..i genuinely struggle with understanding. Is it just  a 'what we have we hold' approach ...ie we were planted here, we dont want to hear about your traditions etc, f up we are here now shut up and wear a poppy, forget bloody sunday etc etc etc

I played on a Belfast schools soccer team years ago and we went to the states...this team were calling us names and at one stage a player called us "Irish b**tards" a player from east belfast retorted "we're not Irish we're Northern Irish" ....i was about 14 and just intrigued by these displaced people. As was the dumbfounded US Soccer player

Jeremy Paxman had it right too, about the establishment's ridiculous 'official position' here re 12th July being a family fun day out....as did James Galway re Paisley etc....but youre not allowed to tell the truth here....the knuckleheads wont let you and Unionist 'leaders' like Campbell showing such disrespect to a language saying Curry my yoghort etc.

Am i the only one who like Paxman feels there is an Elephant in the room that no one is allowed to discuss?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

armaghniac

Quote from: Gold on November 27, 2016, 08:25:58 PM

Good  question. Other than a commitment to a sordid 400 year old colonisation project, what distinguishes Unionist culture?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2016, 10:09:13 PM

Good  question. Other than a commitment to a sordid 400 year old colonisation project, what distinguishes Unionist culture?
It appears to be  mostly about what it is not ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS05UxBVTtY

stew

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2016, 07:47:58 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2016, 10:09:13 PM

It appears to be  mostly about what it is not ..

Oh Baby Jesus that was absolutely the worst tripe I ever listened to!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS05UxBVTtY
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

No nuns  . No rosary. No baby Jesus

seafoid

I have that first batallion of the UVF song going around my head. Our brothers from Scotland will be there when the Fenians break through.

I was reading about a new daring TV program in Israel. They talk to Palestinians. Sounds like the usual settler colonial setup with Palestinians as Fenians.

Re not being Irish that never flies in Britain. Is you norven or suven Irish is a standard question in London.

Applesisapples

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2016, 02:55:48 PM
I have that first batallion of the UVF song going around my head. Our brothers from Scotland will be there when the Fenians break through.

I was reading about a new daring TV program in Israel. They talk to Palestinians. Sounds like the usual settler colonial setup with Palestinians as Fenians.

Re not being Irish that never flies in Britain. Is you norven or suven Irish is a standard question in London.
I'm neever I'm just bleeding' Irish maite