DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2009, 10:54:55 PM
As a dublin fan, whelan made a complete eejit out of himself and its something I hope not to see again. But its a bit rich having tyrone fans talking about diving. Ahem philip jordan v diarmuid marsden anyone? Thats why it was a tad ironic when philip jordan was the player in question. Its something thats come into the game in the last few years and its quite unecessary.

Its not good when you have to go back 6 years to find an example to try and blacken a players name. Even worse when its a poor example because Jordan was hit up the mouth that day. Marsden didn't deserve to be sent of though as Jordan ran at him and I've never heard exactly what Jordan was reacting to to do that.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 01, 2009, 09:05:02 PM
Anyone else think after watching last night it would be a good idea to have a Leinster Final or even a All Ireland Final at night and have a bit of a shindig with lights/fireworks etc beforehand?
You see it for most finals like the Heineken cup or Champions League

That's a fair suggestion, watch the GAA space I'd say.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2009, 10:54:55 PM
As a dublin fan, whelan made a complete eejit out of himself and its something I hope not to see again.

Good man, there was a lot of rubbish tagged on to the end of that sentiment that I've very helpfully excised for you.  ;)

Declan

QuoteAs a dublin fan, whelan made a complete eejit out of himself and its something I hope not to see again. But its a bit rich having tyrone fans talking about diving

Last night at the game I thought Whelan had been fouled . Tonight seeing it again on TV the ref got it right, However Sean Cavanagh fell in the first half on the 21 in front of the canal end when he went to ground as if he was shot and ref allowed free and subsequent point. It's that inconsistency that drives me mad

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Declan on February 01, 2009, 11:15:38 PM
It's that inconsistency that drives me mad

You have a point there Declan, I was glad to see the referee acting on the flagrant simulation of Whelan, but I think we were lucky enough earlier - Mc Cullagh went down a bit too easily before that, and it didn't look good from where I was seated.

Jimmy14

What an occassion positives far outweighed the negatives.
Has given Dublin some hope towards the future!
Well done to the GAA!

orangeman

Redhandfan

Saturday night will definitely go down as one of my greatest ever GAA memories....I felt privileged to be sitting in the lower Hogan and witnessing what was a wonderful spectacle and truly magical occasion.  Everything about last night was just so right....the weather, the game, the unique atmosphere, the post-match entertainment etc.  It was easily the best £20 I have ever spent.  I don't think I have ever been as proud to be a GAA man as I was leaving Croker on Saturday night past.

Well done to everyone involved!! 

Gnevin

Quote from: Jimmy14 on February 01, 2009, 11:21:16 PM
What an occassion positives far outweighed the negatives.
Has given Dublin some hope towards the future!
Well done to the GAA!
Hope ! Where you at the same match I was . Tyrone were in second gear for most of the game, their point scoring was unreal. Dublin as usual dropped their heads after their goal . Wanted to have every player touch the ball before taking a shot from 2 yards out .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Puckoon

seemed to me like cavanagh slapped Down on the inside of whelans right arm. Wheelo held his face.

Hound

A great evening's entertainment.

Don't know how we were only 4 behind at the break after the superb Tyrone display, but hung in well and absolutely dominated the second half, mainly thanks to an immense display by Whelan.

We should have been well clear, the 6 kicks into the keeper's hands were very poor, but who knows if we'd gone ahead earlier Tyrone may well have come back earlier. Going ahead just at the end of the 70 looked ideal and I honsetly think we would have won it, having the momentum and some of the Tyronies out on their feet - but then two very poor mistakes by Bonner twice handed the ball to Cavanaugh and with tremendous bottle he nailed the equaliser and winning point. Well done!

A pleasure to play Tyrone without all the niggly crap.

Very well done to the ref too (bar one very odd decision to penalise Keaney after he made a great catch over the corner backs head).

Zapatista

This has become a real feel good thread (there are a few trying to input some niggly spoilers for their own reasons but on a whole it's pretty good). Super stuff on Saturday night and congrats to all involved.

MacCruiskeen

Entertaining game and great lift for the football year ahead. Still like to see  a bit of defensive  and tackling though but Tyrone will probably carry on with this novelty football until serious championship time. O'Neill was excellent and I was particularly impressed by his strength both winning and holding onto the ball. Coupled with the apparent high level conditioning and fitness levels  of the entire team this suggests they are up for it this year. Dublin too, looked strong and mobile. Ofcourse if the match had been played on a heavy pitch we may not have seen such an open game. I thought McCullough's score with the outside of the boot even better than ONeill's end line effort.

Zapatista

Quote from: MacCruiskeen on February 02, 2009, 09:04:25 AM
I thought McCullough's score with the outside of the boot even better than ONeill's end line effort.

It was a cracker too. It was almost a case of 'anything you can do I can do better' for Tyrone in the first half.

INDIANA

Quote from: Hound on February 02, 2009, 08:29:23 AM
A great evening's entertainment.

Don't know how we were only 4 behind at the break after the superb Tyrone display, but hung in well and absolutely dominated the second half, mainly thanks to an immense display by Whelan.

We should have been well clear, the 6 kicks into the keeper's hands were very poor, but who knows if we'd gone ahead earlier Tyrone may well have come back earlier. Going ahead just at the end of the 70 looked ideal and I honsetly think we would have won it, having the momentum and some of the Tyronies out on their feet - but then two very poor mistakes by Bonner twice handed the ball to Cavanaugh and with tremendous bottle he nailed the equaliser and winning point. Well done!

A pleasure to play Tyrone without all the niggly crap.

Very well done to the ref too (bar one very odd decision to penalise Keaney after he made a great catch over the corner backs head).

great entertainment but have the new rules taken the physicality out of the game? I'd hate to be a defender in croke park now. Was bad enough before, now its impossible.