DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Not at all never even met the man, do you not rate him as a footballer? And anyway I was using Cullen as an example of a player maybe suited to this role but I think any good footballer might cause havoc in this way.

Bensars

I think hes a fine footballer, but i would disagree with your masterplan. You are making various assumptions, if this happened and that happens etc. . You also mention crowding the scoring zone, however, i would remind you Tyrone have a vast experience playing against this. Armagh brought this to a new level, and with no disrespect intended, the Dublin defence is a long way from the calire of the Armagh defence over the last few years. A simple masterplan doesnt work against Tyrone. Positions are not held in the traditional way. Everyone attacks and everyone defends. The easiest way to beat Tyrone is to beat them in effort. To do that Dublin have to improve in overall hunger, concentration levels for the entire game and above all have a greater work rate.

INDIANA

I disagree you will never beat Tyrone on effort alone. I've spent quite some time studying them for my own coaching benefit. Tyrone love to hit teams on the break so they usually withdraw most or all of the half forward line and try to suck the half backs up with them. They crowd the scoring zone, turnover the opposition and the half backs and half forwards attack in numbers .With the pace they have they have overlaps all over the place. Donegal with Mc Eniff beat them in 2003? by instructing his half backs not to follow the tyrone half forwards back. As a result the match became a dogfight with both teams using the same tactics against each other. Kerry tried a variation on that this yearbut didn't have the discipline and I think Tyrone are unlikely to be beaten twice with the same tactics.
The key difference between tyrone and the rest at the moment is that they have natural players comfortable in any position and they love drawing  the opposition into areas where they aren't comfortable.
To beat them you got to tactically outhink them which isn't easy.

Over the Bar

Anyone want to meet in the premium Canal end bar for a few before/during/after the game/entertainment?

Declan

QuoteAnyone want to meet in the premium Canal end bar for a few before/during/after the game/entertainment?

Only if you're not a banker ;)

Zulu

Quote from: Bensars on January 23, 2009, 01:33:42 PM
I think hes a fine footballer, but i would disagree with your masterplan. You are making various assumptions, if this happened and that happens etc. . You also mention crowding the scoring zone, however, i would remind you Tyrone have a vast experience playing against this. Armagh brought this to a new level, and with no disrespect intended, the Dublin defence is a long way from the calire of the Armagh defence over the last few years. A simple masterplan doesnt work against Tyrone. Positions are not held in the traditional way. Everyone attacks and everyone defends. The easiest way to beat Tyrone is to beat them in effort. To do that Dublin have to improve in overall hunger, concentration levels for the entire game and above all have a greater work rate.

First off the the 'masterplan' as you refer to it isn't just to beat Tyrone but is a tactic that can be repeated throughout the year, not necessarily all the time but certainly something that can be used regularly. Secondly any tactical plan will have assumptions built in, but with this one whether the center back goes with the CF or holds the middle there are drawbacks for the opposition. Like any tactic you gain in one way but lose in other ways, no tactic is fool proof,  if there was one everybody would be doing it. Thirdly regardless of tactics to win football matches you have to match the workrate of your opponents (at least) and you have to have good footballers all over the pitch. Tyrone don't win AI because of workrate alone but because they have some of the best footballers in Ireland.

I've used this tactic myself and it generally causes opponents problems, will it guarantee victory? of course not does it have draw backs? yes, has it failed miserably on occasion? yes, definitely but with the scoring power of Dublin and the footballing ability of Cullen I think it could reap dividends for Dublin.

ONeill

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2009, 02:16:55 PM
I disagree you will never beat Tyrone on effort alone. I've spent quite some time studying them for my own coaching benefit. Tyrone love to hit teams on the break so they usually withdraw most or all of the half forward line and try to suck the half backs up with them. They crowd the scoring zone, turnover the opposition and the half backs and half forwards attack in numbers .With the pace they have they have overlaps all over the place. Donegal with Mc Eniff beat them in 2003? by instructing his half backs not to follow the tyrone half forwards back. As a result the match became a dogfight with both teams using the same tactics against each other. Kerry tried a variation on that this yearbut didn't have the discipline and I think Tyrone are unlikely to be beaten twice with the same tactics.
The key difference between tyrone and the rest at the moment is that they have natural players comfortable in any position and they love drawing  the opposition into areas where they aren't comfortable.
To beat them you got to tactically outhink them which isn't easy.

Would love to have berated you for this, but that's close to perfect.

Tyrone's gameplan (or 'system' as Brolly calls it) is well known but hard to counteract due to the quality and versatility of the players executing it. That's why I despair when pundits claim that man-for-man Kerry are better.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fuzzman

Excellent analysis there Indiana. Thank God you're not Manager of Dublin for the 31st.

It's the secret to how they create space and created so many Easy shooting chances last year from that middle section as Brolly kept saying.

ONeill

An article on the Dublin/Tyrone rivalry (from the Dub perspective)  is in today's Times (London).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

heffo

Quote from: hardstation on January 26, 2009, 02:19:27 AM
Help required.

What do you do after the fireworks?

Could head back to the hotel and drink until the morning but don't want to. Well, want to do something before that.
Sidewalk music bar is to be avoided according to heffo, even though it has provided some great rips in the past.

Thinking of heading out to Lucan and torturing Laoislad.

Aye, and I'll probably be starving.

Where are you staying?

C_Berg_316

got my ticket the other night - lower cusack section 309 - happy days roughly at midfield  :) - though my seat not covered and heard it could be raining next sat in dublin - dont fancy that at all!

Is the fireworks, etc definetly on after the game?  anyone know why this is?
thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

heffo

Quote from: hardstation on January 26, 2009, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: heffo on January 26, 2009, 08:24:12 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 26, 2009, 02:19:27 AM
Help required.

What do you do after the fireworks?

Could head back to the hotel and drink until the morning but don't want to. Well, want to do something before that.
Sidewalk music bar is to be avoided according to heffo, even though it has provided some great rips in the past.

Thinking of heading out to Lucan and torturing Laoislad.

Aye, and I'll probably be starving.

Where are you staying?

Maldron, Smithfield, used to be the Comfort Inn. Haven't a clue about it really.

Plenty of decent boozers down that direction - The Cobblestone is decent and is close by - even stay up around Dorset st - The Sidewalk is a shi*hole

Get a taxi and head up around Camden st/Harcourt st - Devitts, Cassidys, Bleeding horse, Anseo, Flannerys & Coppers

Fuzzman

Me and a few lads are thinking of going to the Cobblestone which is up at the top of Smithfield.
I've not been myself but belief it has great Trad music there on every night

Does nobody know how these fireworks are gonna work
Surely they have to do them before the match or at half time?

Will it not be dangerous firing them straight up over the stadium or over the neighbouring houses?

Tyrone Dreamer

Pretty sure they are after the game. I'd say they're worried that the crowd won't be in on time before the game. Half time is ruled out because its a 20 minute show plus I assume a few minutes to set it up.

Mid Down Gael

Does anyone know the schedule of events for saturday?start times etc...