DUBLIN v TYRONE JANUARY 2009 CROKE PARK

Started by Canalman, September 29, 2008, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

Quote from: hardstation on January 22, 2009, 11:57:07 PM
Will still be good craic paying 5 pound a pint and watching half a million go up in the air.

a mate went to dublin last weekend for the UFC and said anywhere he went it was nearly 6 pound a pint.

INDIANA

Zulu, he kicks points from corner back when playing for dublin, believe me his right leg is every bit a good as bernard brogans.
But the problem we have is he's our best man marker and we've no-one at the back to replace him.
Dublin currently have no settled full back line and half forward line. As a result we struggle against the top teams.
Just to say Eamon Fennell is out as well with a knee injury.

ONeill

Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2009, 09:53:50 AM
Zulu, he kicks points from corner back when playing for dublin.

Jaysus, there's no counteracting that. Sure Penrose can only hit it 20 yards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

heffo

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2009, 09:58:13 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 23, 2009, 09:53:50 AM
Zulu, he kicks points from corner back when playing for dublin.

Jaysus, there's no counteracting that. Sure Penrose can only hit it 20 yards.

He didn't say which end he kicks them into  ;)

dubinhell

Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2009, 08:53:40 AM

Anyone know if Ross McConnell is a full back or a midfielder in this panel? Likewise Dave Henry - a back or a forward?

I guess Henry will be wing forwrd, Ross will be a midfielder behind Ryan & Whelan. Will be interesting to see what the fullback line is...there's even rumours of Bastic playing FB!!

supersarsfields

Has anyone noticed how the build up to this game is very like the QF last year. One side being hotly tipped over the other, with fans on one side completely playing down their chances etc.

Zulu

Well lads if he has as good a right leg as Bernard Brogan I'd play him in the forward line, full stop. You don't put that type of scoring potential in the full back line, regardless of his abilities there.

heffo

Quote from: dubinhell on January 23, 2009, 10:10:35 AM
Quote from: Hound on January 23, 2009, 08:53:40 AM

Anyone know if Ross McConnell is a full back or a midfielder in this panel? Likewise Dave Henry - a back or a forward?

I guess Henry will be wing forwrd, Ross will be a midfielder behind Ryan & Whelan. Will be interesting to see what the fullback line is...there's even rumours of Bastic playing FB!!

Bastic is being tried at full back, but can't see him being risked there for the game in Croker - I'd have serious reservations about him back there - pace & discipline being two concerns..

INDIANA

He'll be tried at centre half forward, he really does have a sweet right foot and can score from range. Its a question of whether he can make the transition at that level.
We've no players for the full back line Zulu, absolutely threadbare there and he was one of our better players at the back.

Zulu

Indiana I rate B. Brogan very highly, he's better than his brother IMO, so if Henry has that scoring ability I'd start him up front. Finding genuine scoring threats is the hardest part of management so if you have one you play him. Especially when you already know he has the ability and attitude to play senior IC football, if Dublin play the two Brogans, Henry, Connolly and Keaney they could afford to play a defensive minded sixth forward to help clog up the area in front of the FB line. There isn't a defender worth his salt playing IC football who'll be too concerned about a forward who can run all day, one that can put the ball between the posts now that's another matter.

INDIANA

In Dublin's case I'd disagree, we have enough scoring forwards but no natural half forwards. There is a world of difference between the 2 positions. We got slaughtered by the tyrone half back line last year because we had too many inside forwards accomodated out there, who can't tackle, track back etc.
We also lack a ball winner in the full forward line, before you can score you have to get the ball. Against tyrone last year the ball was coming out as quickly as it went in. My idea this year would be to have the 2 brogans playing off a ball winner(big or small) and try the likes of henry and cullen in the half forwards ( players who can score a couple of points and track back) But the problem have is we have no full back and few tight corner backs. All of Dublin's games (bar tyrone last year) in recent years are characterised by putting up winning scores but conceding a larger amount as well.

Zulu

I don't see where your disagreeing with me Indiana, if Henry is as good as you say I'd play the two Brogans either side of Keaney (who I think is a GOOD BALL WINNER AND A FINE ALL ROUND FULL FORWARD, (sorry caps lock) and then play Connolly and Henry as the two wing forwards. Play a defensive player (maybe Cullen) as center forward with a roaming role designed to open up the middle of opposition backlines and provide cover for your own backline. Cullen isn't really a classic anything but he is an intelligent good footballer so I'd leave him follow the ball and link up play while looking to get back and fill up the scoring zone when Dublin turnover ball. I'd keep Keaney and Bernard close to goal and leave Alan a bit more freedom to roamin the space between the full forward and the half forward lines.

Bensars

Quote from: Zulu on January 23, 2009, 12:38:54 PM
I don't see where your disagreeing with me Indiana, if Henry is as good as you say I'd play the two Brogans either side of Keaney (who I think is a GOOD BALL WINNER AND A FINE ALL ROUND FULL FORWARD, (sorry caps lock) and then play Connolly and Henry as the two wing forwards. Play a defensive player (maybe Cullen) as center forward with a roaming role designed to open up the middle of opposition backlines and provide cover for your own backline. Cullen isn't really a classic anything but he is an intelligent good footballer so I'd leave him follow the ball and link up play while looking to get back and fill up the scoring zone when Dublin turnover ball. I'd keep Keaney and Bernard close to goal and leave Alan a bit more freedom to roamin the space between the full forward and the half forward lines.

you are making an assumption that the CHB will trapse up the pitch after the Dublin CHF to leave the space you describe. Without your CHF who will be the playmaker to provide quality ball in the Dublin full forward line ?

You realise that this is all futile, if Tyrone defend en mass and attack in the same way, the roming CHF paying in front of the Dublin full back line will be as usefull as a chocolate fireguard.

Zulu

Not presuming anything, in fact I'd say most center backs would hold their position but with an intelligent competent footballer like Cullen he could carry or cause over laps and thus work the ball into positions from which ball can be delivered into the full forward line. If Cullen (or whoever played the role) picked up enough ball and used it well the center back maybe forced out to mark him and then you create the space down the middle.

As for when you turn the ball over I think if you fill up the scoring zone no matter what style of football you play it will be difficult to create good scoring opportunities. Besides he could also meet attacks further out the field if the first option wasn't working.

Bensars

Are you a relation to him by any chance ?