One for the ladies

Started by bloody mary, September 29, 2008, 12:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody mary

Cork belles or re-belles 4 in-a-row is something else, they deserved to win tho Monaghan put up a great show and were closer tha the score suggests. the ref handed cork 2 penos, the second nothing short of ridiculous, and he made stupid calls all through, ruining a great scrap. wee mcanespie on the wing was fab, as was mcconnell number 10, they'll get a few all stars. btw why do ladies players not complain about decisions like the penos? not saying they should, but it's interesting that they don't.

wherefromreferee?

As well as not complaining as much as the men, why does the time count down for each half, and why do the user the hooter to signal half/full time instead of the referees whistle?  (No need for hooter jokes)
In your Endo!

Maguire01

Quote from: bloody mary on September 29, 2008, 12:58:27 PM
Cork belles or re-belles 4 in-a-row is something else, they deserved to win tho Monaghan put up a great show and were closer tha the score suggests. the ref handed cork 2 penos, the second nothing short of ridiculous,

Cork's second goal was also a clear square ball. They were the better team, but ther ref wasn't much cop.

A few other observations / questions:

1 - Why is the ref not female?

2 - In womens football it appears you can win a free by running into players (i.e. charging)

3 - mens football should never get rid of the rule against picking the ball straight of the ground - it looks really clumsy and makes you appreciate the skill in getting your foot under the ball.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

Quote from: bloody mary on September 29, 2008, 12:58:27 PM
Cork belles or re-belles 4 in-a-row is something else, they deserved to win tho Monaghan put up a great show and were closer tha the score suggests. the ref handed cork 2 penos, the second nothing short of ridiculous, and he made stupid calls all through, ruining a great scrap. wee mcanespie on the wing was fab, as was mcconnell number 10, they'll get a few all stars. btw why do ladies players not complain about decisions like the penos? not saying they should, but it's interesting that they don't.

Probably cos they do all their complaining at home ;)
The Aristocrat Years

screenexile

Yeah ladies football is a fair bit different from the lads alright. Was at the games at Croker game and thought Monaghan were not as bad as the scoreline suggested. WIth regard to a few things it may seem like charging is allowed but players are not allowed to lead with their shoulder (although a lot of refs don't pick up on this). The only time a player is allowed to tackle another in possession is when they are playing the ball i.e. when attempting to kick, handpass, solo or bounce. A tackling player is not allowed to put a hand in when the player in possession has the ball secured in their chest and if they touch the player in possession and not the ball then it is a free against them.

Three interesting games yesterday. Derry got destroyed by tactical naievete against a team they have beaten twice already this year. London had a great tactic to win all their own kickouts (the only team with a tactic for this yet I thought some the teams at a higher level would have had something similar in place), and also played their 2 best Forwards on their own and left them isolated so they could easily round their defender's and go for goals. London got most goals so they won

I didn't watch much of the intermediate match but it seemed evenly contested and a decent game.

In the senior match the 2 penalties were big calls but I thought Cork had the classier forwards throughout which helped them win the game.

Oh and the reason no one qustions the ref is they are allowed to give a yellow card sin bin for dissent whioch is a good deterrent for them to keep it shut... I really don't see why it can't be introduced into our games along with the clock and hooter time keeping system!

tieroan

The rebelettes are a fine looking team. Valerie ? is a major babe along with another few. I really would like to see a few off them dollied up

ziggysego

Taped it to watch slowed down some night.
Testing Accessibility

Onlooker

Screenexile, you missed a right good game in not seeing much of the Intermediate Final.  Tipperary were 3 points behind with 18 minutes to go, but scored 6 points without reply to win by 3.  As Clare were strong favourites to win the game, this was a great win for Tipp and it was a great feeling to see the Blue and Gold jerseys going up to the Hogan stand to receive the Cup.  Cork are a super team and would beat Monaghan and any other team any day of the week, but some of the ref's decisions in their favour must have embarassed even their own supporters.  He gave Monaghan absolutely nothing.

thebandit

Quote from: Onlooker on September 29, 2008, 03:27:13 PM
Screenexile, you missed a right good game in not seeing much of the Intermediate Final.  Tipperary were 3 points behind with 18 minutes to go, but scored 6 points without reply to win by 3.  As Clare were strong favourites to win the game, this was a great win for Tipp and it was a great feeling to see the Blue and Gold jerseys going up to the Hogan stand to receive the Cup.  Cork are a super team and would beat Monaghan and any other team any day of the week, but some of the ref's decisions in their favour must have embarassed even their own supporters.  He gave Monaghan absolutely nothing.

I was very disappointed with the ref's performance yesterday, if anything raging underdogs usually get the benefit of the doubt!

timmyot501

Cork deserved to win and 5 or 6 points would have summed up the difference quite well.  But the 14 point difference at the end was partly inflated by the ref. He was whistle happy near the goals that cork attacked and was a bit shy at the other end. He also failed to take action when a Monaghan forward was mowed out en-route to the posts late on in the first half. A sin-binning wouldn't have gone astray then. There is also the question of a couple of dodgy penos. I don't think the Monaghan girls will have any complaints whereby the best team won but the margin of victory must have been very hard for them to take.  But Cork do have some great players all over the field and they took their chances well when they came - even if some were aided by a dodgy ref.

Kerry Mike

Well done the langeroos on a great display, if only their male conterparts could do their county proud. 1990 is an awful long time ago now  :P

It was totally one sided, was really hoping Monaghan could have pulled something out of it, must have been a first for me shouting for an Ulster team.

Working in Cork the last week has been great craic, I never knew there were so many Tyrone supporters working with me.

Many have added the ladies football title to their never ending roll of honour today, something now like 149 All Ireland titles, but as the Ladies football is not part of the Official GAA games (football , hurling, handball and rounders) but has their own organisation which is affialiated to the GAA , the question is can the Langers really count all these other titles.

It rankles that Kilkenny have taken over their Hurling pedastal this year while they have to share the overall senior roll of honour with the animals to the West.

I'll have to dig out my Scor na n'og medals not to mention the bronze medal I have in the 1974 Farting and Shite Tallking champinships to show that we too have our multi sports.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football