Kyle Coney set to reject Aussie Rules?

Started by Over the Bar, September 29, 2008, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Quote from: Old Bill on October 02, 2008, 04:58:35 PM
does anyone think it was unfair of sean cavanagh to fuel the rumours in papers this week that coney was to stay? i do and i think it put undue pressure on the lad.

Yeah, and it was unfair of a few of the members of this board to add fuel to the flames.

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on October 02, 2008, 03:31:22 PM
pity he's going, ah well, best of luck to him.

I was talking to this young lad who was saying that most young lads his age (under-20) cant be bothered with GAA anymore, it was "too much effort for nothing, not like you could make any money from it". All his friends were happier to go spend their time on the piss and that kinda shite. Seems like pulling on the green jersey isnt that important to kids anymore.  :'(  hope its not true.

Not saying thats the case with Kyle by the way,

This has always been the case. Many players under the age of 20 don't go on to play at a high level. Many quit for one reason or another. I quit becuase I wasn't good enough and it was too much effort for nothing.Some will go and come back and some will just be happy playing on lower level requiring less commitment and work. Then there are always some who will put in the hard work and commitment. I'm 29 now and I there are about 3 lads who I played underage with still playing. This is common in most clubs. I wouldn't worry to much about that bloke.

Old Bill

Quote from: fred the red on October 02, 2008, 05:00:56 PM
does anyone think it was unfair of sean cavanagh to fuel the rumours in papers this week that coney was to stay? i do and i think it put undue pressure on the lad.

Yeah, and it was unfair of a few of the members of this board to add fuel to the flames.
agreed. While having alot of time for cavanagh as a fotballer and as a person (i dont really know him), he would be better of in trying to attract niall mc ginn away from derry city as he has loads of potential as well than trying to put off a fella from a one a million opportunity

Jinxy

Quote from: Old Bill on October 02, 2008, 05:21:03 PM

agreed. While having alot of time for cavanagh as a fotballer and as a person (i dont really know him), he would be better of in trying to attract niall mc ginn away from derry city as he has loads of potential as well than trying to put off a fella from a one a million opportunity

Lets not lose the run of ourselves here.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrone Dreamer

Maybe we should consider coaching aussie rules at under age level as well as gaelic football. It would give the young lads a much better chance of making it in Austraillia and it would be nice to do the good Aussie lads a favour. Maybe Dermit McNicholl or some of those guys could even get some of the nice Aussie chaps to come over and take some of the sessions. A few games could be played as well. I'd say it would mean a lot more players making the grade over there and could really add to the AFL.

orangeman

Could we not play an Aussie Rules exhibition game in Croke Park at half time on AI final day ?.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Old Bill on October 02, 2008, 05:21:03 PM

You wouldn't half know Sean Cavanagh was an accountant.  Heard him being interviewed about Coney's move and he was talking about the opportunity cost of staying and all that caper!  

Keep 'er lit

cornafean

I can't imagine that this was Sean's intention. Most likely he was asked a question by a journalist and he answered it honestly. If he chooses not to speak in riddles, I would count that as a positive.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

rrhf

Interesting to see Mc Ginns name brought up again - a much superior prospect to Coney in my opinion.  Did we try to keep him who knows? The under 21 management are certainly guilt of disincentivising the lad, whilst the soccor guys in Dungannon were telling Niall he could play accroos the water the uinder 21 management were telling him he wasnt good enough for their team - and I believe they lost 2 all ireland titles for Tyrone in the process.  Good luck to Niall he loves his Gaelic but he was hampered in his progress in it by the wrong people in the wrong job.  If Mc Ginn did actually physically sign for good money in England then It would be like the Coney situation if you are good enough to make a profession out of it - fair play,  but to lose our greatest attacking prospect to a finacially unstable league with max 2000 a week fans and no sustainable long term future at current income really sticks in my craw. 

Bensars

If i remember correctly Mc Ginn was supposedly said to have opted to the soccer for one last bash about a year ago. If it didnt lead to anything he would go back to the gaelic. 

give her dixie

Quote from: rrhf on October 03, 2008, 10:17:30 AM
Interesting to see Mc Ginns name brought up again - a much superior prospect to Coney in my opinion.  Did we try to keep him who knows? The under 21 management are certainly guilt of disincentivising the lad, whilst the soccor guys in Dungannon were telling Niall he could play accroos the water the uinder 21 management were telling him he wasnt good enough for their team - and I believe they lost 2 all ireland titles for Tyrone in the process.  Good luck to Niall he loves his Gaelic but "he was hampered in his progress in it by the wrong people in the wrong job".  If Mc Ginn did actually physically sign for good money in England then It would be like the Coney situation if you are good enough to make a profession out of it - fair play,  but to lose our greatest attacking prospect to a finacially unstable league with max 2000 a week fans and no sustainable long term future at current income really sticks in my craw. 

Wrong people in the wrong job could certaintly apply to his agent. A "Gael" from Tyrone who happens to be chairman of Dungannon Swifts!
Now, tell me, who stood to make out on that transfer to Derry?
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

orangeman

Can anyone post the article in this week's Gaelic Life about Mickey Harte bemoaning the loss of Kyle of Aussie Rules ??.

Yes I Would

Heaney takes an intersting slant in todays IN on Coneys departure. Tryin to convince the Tyrone folk that his leaving may not be such a bad thing.

maggie

Quote from: Yes I Would on October 07, 2008, 10:47:16 PM
Heaney takes an intersting slant in todays IN on Coneys departure. Tryin to convince the Tyrone folk that his leaving may not be such a bad thing.

Any chance of posting it?

fred the red

How many irish are now on the books in oz? that is 3 ulstermen...Clarke, Dyas and now Coney