Kyle Coney set to reject Aussie Rules?

Started by Over the Bar, September 29, 2008, 12:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scalder

A contract is not worth a bollix, he can tear it up! He'd be some addition beside Cavanagh, a few Tyrone players are the wrong side of 30 so it would be a big boost to hold on to him.

Over the Bar

QuoteHe looks like a cocky b**tard 

QuoteWhat have i got to be jealous about, The lad has an exceptional talent, defintely one for the future, all i said is he looks as if he has got a very high opinion of himself i.e cocky

Sure if he looks cocky he probably is..... the b*stard!!   ::)

Jinxy

If he does change his mind the Swans will be furious. F*ck them sez you!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Doire abú

f**k I hope the Sdyney Swans aren't annoyed.  :D

Have also heard this rumour from people who would know the past couple of weeks.

Tubberman

He is one of the main reasons Mayo aren't All-Ireland minor champions this year, but I hope he stays.
He's a great prospect (but far from the finished article as you'd expect for a minor) so obviously it's better for our game if he stays put.
If a couple of high-profile players turn down the advances of the AFL, it may turn the tide and we could start seeing more of our best prospects deciding to stay here to try and win an All-Ireland with their county.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

Sydney Swans - I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time Sydney Swans have broken a contract or had one broken !

Onion Bag

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 29, 2008, 02:09:25 PM
QuoteHe looks like a cocky b**tard 

QuoteWhat have i got to be jealous about, The lad has an exceptional talent, defintely one for the future, all i said is he looks as if he has got a very high opinion of himself i.e cocky

Sure if he looks cocky he probably is..... the b*stard!!   ::)

why are you being so defensive of the lad, all i said was that he looked cocky, oh and i did say he word bastard, but thats just a term that goes with cocky, so whats the big deal

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

nrico2006

QuoteA contract is not worth a bollix, he can tear it up! He'd be some addition beside Cavanagh, a few Tyrone players are the wrong side of 30 so it would be a big boost to hold on to him.

Exactly, a contract is worth nothing.  He would be some addition to the team, imagine next year having a sharp SON back with hopefully an improved BMG and the like of Mugsy, Mulgrew, Colm Cavanagh challenging for starting slots with Coney thrown into the mix.  Now hopefully McGinn will come around  ;)
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Onion Bag

Tell me this lads, where was Mulgrew this season, Injured? Off Fire? or whats the story

RONAN

Maybe i'm wrong lads but in my opinion the lad is in a win/win situation. He's 18, gets a chance of a life-time, professional training for a couple of years, if he makes it the lad ends up a star. If he doesnt make it, he comes home, 20 years of age, more than likely filled out, and joins the best team in the Country (as a Derry man that kills me to say that).

Over the Bar

QuoteTell me this lads, where was Mulgrew this season, Injured? Off Fire? or whats the story

Maybe Mickey Harte dropped him for being too cocky?

Onion Bag

What is wrong with you overthebar? Time of the month?

orangeman

Tyrone star Sean Cavanagh has told Red Hand County minor star Kyle Coney that he should rethink his decision to head to the Australian Football League.

Coney signed a two-year rookie deal with the Sydney Swans in July but there have been reports that the Ardboe lad may be reconsidering his decision.

Cavanagh appeared to confirm Coney's doubts over the deal on Monday.

"I spoke to Kyle after the first All-Ireland minor final and he was humming and hawing," said Cavanagh.

"And after speaking to his parents as well, they were maybe hoping that Kyle would stay at home.

"When you see his performances for the minors, you can see why there is interest in him in Australia.

"But the way the GAA is going at the mimute, my advice to him would be to stay with the GAA because there are that many opportunities.

When you go over as an international rookie, you're not talking about big money - maybe around 20,000 Euro a year

Sean Cavanagh

"With the way Tyrone are going at the minute, it would be hard for him to turn his back on his county.

"But at the end of the day, it's a personal decision for him."

Cavanagh has turned down a couple of offers to move the AFL and Coney sought out the Moy man's reasons for not making the move.

"He asked me why I turned it down and the main reason was that I didn't want to walk away from the game I love and go over and play a game that maybe I wouldn't love so much or maybe not even like at all.

"And when you go over as an international rookie, you're not talking about big money - maybe around 20,000 Euro a year.

"From that point of view, being a professional athlete, but not being paid great money, is not ideal."

In 2006, Down lost one of their outstanding young talents when Martin Clarke joined AFL side Collingwood while several other young GAA stars have also moved Down Under.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: RONAN on September 29, 2008, 02:52:41 PM
Maybe i'm wrong lads but in my opinion the lad is in a win/win situation. He's 18, gets a chance of a life-time, professional training for a couple of years, if he makes it the lad ends up a star. If he doesnt make it, he comes home, 20 years of age, more than likely filled out, and joins the best team in the Country (as a Derry man that kills me to say that).

Isn't he a cousin of yours Ronan . Looks and plays like you. What a legend Ronan WAS!

gerry

he's probably having second thoughts about going to oz after winning the all ireland at the weekend, hopefully he will stay and play for the seniors in a few years.

the only reason he come back in 2 to 3 years if it did not work out for him in oz, i do not believe if all was going well for him he would pack it in to play gaa.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,