Any I.T workers on the board?

Started by The Real Laoislad, September 27, 2008, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

Doesn't really matter which it is actually, just turn the screen on it's side...  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Duine Eile

Having awful problems with my laptop lads, it's completely packed up on me. When I switch it on it goes straight into Windows Repair, the error report thingy at the end says "Root cause found: boot manager failed to find OS loader, Repair action: File Repair, Result: Completed successfully. error code = 0x 0. Time taken 17097 ms." I haven't a notion of what any bit of that means, all I know is it hasn't repaired successfully, any help would be appreciated. It's a fujitsu siemens and all I have installed on it is O2 broadband and Itunes if that's of any importance. I really don't want to have to fork out God knows how much if it's only something simple.I'm hopeless with computers. :-[

Duine Eile

Well,any ideas?anybody?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 09, 2008, 10:52:12 AM
Well,any ideas?anybody?
what I would do ...

if you have data on th elaptop that you want/need
install a new XP iteration on the laptop.
get the data off (onto usb stick or external hard disk).
wipe the laptop completely and have a new xp iteration (again) installed
set up everything again (ms office, o2 broadband etc)
set up an external herd disk to back up all your software , programs, data, files etc onto

its not quick or that easy, but imo thats the only way to recover.

if the laptop wont take a new xp installation, then you are going to have to wipe it completely (losing data)
and try having it installed then.
If this doesnt work (unlikely if the laptop is only a couple of years old) then you have hope its under warranty.
Otherwise its a repair job and could be as cheap to buy a new one.

Duine Eile

Its fairly new,only got it in January. Think I'll just leave it to the professionals, I'll only end up making it worse.it has that stupid Windows Vista aswell. Is XP better? I haven't a bull's clue about these kind of things.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 09, 2008, 11:32:50 AM
Its fairly new,only got it in January. Think I'll just leave it to the professionals, I'll only end up making it worse.it has that stupid Windows Vista aswell. Is XP better? I haven't a bull's clue about these kind of things.
its possible if you installed itunes recently that it has corrupted vista.
there is a known problem between the two right now...

if you cant install yourself, try someone on here or someone you know that can do what I suggested above - only install vista instead of XP.

The Real Laoislad

Lads any chance any of you I.T fellas would know the names and maybe email address of a few I.T/data cabling installation company's ?
Please............................Pretty please  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

stephenite

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 13, 2008, 10:43:47 PM
Lads any chance any of you I.T fellas would know the names and maybe email address of a few I.T/data cabling installation company's ?

They were two a penny when I organised my old companies move about 4 years ago in Ballymun, I'm trying to remember their name but it's just not coming to me - try the yellow pages maybe?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on October 13, 2008, 10:43:47 PM
will tell you tomorrow evening before the game...

amallon

LaoisLad - I could look after you in the cabling dept.

I'm now working for myself doing IT services and more.  Check out my website http://www.sys-sol.net/

Don't you just hate people advertising themselves on the board!  ;)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.