Any I.T workers on the board?

Started by The Real Laoislad, September 27, 2008, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 06, 2008, 05:06:43 PM
A mate of mine is getting a PC for the first time. The children are at primary school and will be using it for basic tasks. He is going to start using d'internet for looking at Youtube , etc, etc. There will no downloading of movies, music etc. Just bog standard internet usage and basic school work type stuff for the kids. He has asked me which one he should get as he thinks I'm an expert cos I use one for work. I told him I would ask around.

Any of you nerds out there got any suggestions based on the stuff above....I was going to suggest buying the most basic model from Dell though having looked at their site I have just realised that I havent a clue what I'm doing    :-[ :-[thanks in advance.

I'd suggest getting a Mac unless they really want to use a windows only peace of software .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

imtommygunn

Do you not think Macs for their basic day to day tasks would be a bit dear GNevin?

I would go with Dell's cheapest option personally. Mac's are very good for your music etc and are higher performance and possibly more stable. However for basic day to day usage stability wouldn't be an issue and nor would performance.

Gnevin

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 06, 2008, 05:39:26 PM
Do you not think Macs for their basic day to day tasks would be a bit dear GNevin?

I would go with Dell's cheapest option personally. Mac's are very good for your music etc and are higher performance and possibly more stable. However for basic day to day usage stability wouldn't be an issue and nor would performance.

I just looked up the price's and they are a bit steep alright . However Vista is terrible, it is really really shocking . The is below is only about €200 dearer than the Dell equaivilant and for all the heart ache you'd save and the ease of use for the newbies i think it's really is the way to go .
http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MB323B/A?mco=NzU0NDY4
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

imtommygunn

Only ever used Vista so can't comment too much on that.

For day to day use is it that bad??

ardmhachaabu

A mate of mine is getting a PC for the first time. The children are at primary school and will be using it for basic tasks. He is going to start using d'internet for looking at Youtube , etc, etc. There will no downloading of movies, music etc. Just bog standard internet usage and basic school work type stuff for the kids. He has asked me which one he should get as he thinks I'm an expert cos I use one for work. I told him I would ask around.

Any of you nerds out there got any suggestions based on the stuff above....I was going to suggest buying the most basic model from Dell though having looked at their site I have just realised that I havent a clue what I'm doing    :-[ :-[thanks in advance.
Whatever you do, don't listen to Gnevin.

A bog standard Dell will do the job for your mate's kids
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gnevin

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 06, 2008, 06:35:37 PM
Only ever used Vista so can't comment too much on that.

For day to day use is it that bad??

It's even worse , I've taken it off 2 pc's in work so far . It's a shocking OS they released 2 patches last week which fucked up wireless and audio, MS then withdrew the patches but still haven't patched the patches .So i know people with no wireless or audio at the moment

Gnevin

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on October 06, 2008, 09:43:06 PM

Why ?

Vista is a dreadful OS a total nightmare,it's just  a bad copy of OS X.

OS X does what it does very very well and it's very user friendly. Considering most people use their PC for Office and the Net, a Mac does both of these the better than windows . It's  also better at video and graphics.
So 5sams the question is  how much is your mate willing to pay and what are they planning to do with it ?

Down Gael

The kids are probably going to be using a Windows based PC at school, so they would be better off getting a similar PC for home. I would go with Dell or a cheapo from one of the shops up at the Damolly retail park.
As for Vista, I have been using it since January and think its a big improvment over XP, but I believe there are some glitches in it that my limited usage maybe wouldnt highlight. A lot of business users have remained with XP.

ONeill

How would I flip a video image recorded on a mobile phone (to pc) 90 degrees? The ordinary packages cannot seem to do this.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on October 06, 2008, 10:04:00 PM

Why ?

OS X does what it does very very well and it's very user friendly. Considering most people use their PC for Office and the Net, a Mac does both of these the better than windows . It's  also better at video and graphics.
So 5sams the question is  how much is your mate willing to pay and what are they planning to do with it ?
while macs are great, they are dearer,will be diff to what the kids in school no doubt use and also macs emulation software for S office are still not good enough.

get a cheap enough Pc - hp, lenovo, dell or whatever is on special offer in the marketplace. If you can get someone to wipe it and install XP pro - do it.
Get min 3GB RAM memory in it.

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 06, 2008, 10:58:51 PM

Why ?

while macs are great, they are dearer,will be diff to what the kids in school no doubt use and also macs emulation software for S office are still not good enough.

get a cheap enough Pc - hp, lenovo, dell or whatever is on special offer in the marketplace. If you can get someone to wipe it and install XP pro - do it.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx their is a Mac version of office. Cheap PC's will struggle with vista for me http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs the upper model for 889 would be a entry model . Am i over shooting here? They will want to get 3 years out it . If you want to put xp on it make sure Dell have perc drivers available for it .

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on October 06, 2008, 11:12:51 PM

Why ?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/default.mspx their is a Mac version of office. Cheap PC's will struggle with vista for me http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspndt_530s?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&s=dhs the upper model for 889 would be a entry model . Am i over shooting here? They will want to get 3 years out it . If you want to put xp on it make sure Dell have perc drivers available for it .
anyone using mac ms office emulation have nightmare experiences. I tell my team not entertain users coming in with such problems.
The procedure it to tell them to leave the mac, spend 10 mins - no more and then call back and say ' sorry for your troubles - but yer on yer own'

i'd not advocate buying the cheapest, but a step or two above the cheapest will def do the trick for 3-5 years

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 06, 2008, 11:30:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on October 06, 2008, 11:12:51 PM

Why ?

anyone using mac ms office emulation have nightmare experiences. I tell my team not entertain users coming in with such problems.
The procedure it to tell them to leave the mac, spend 10 mins - no more and then call back and say ' sorry for your troubles - but yer on yer own'

i'd not advocate buying the cheapest, but a step or two above the cheapest will def do the trick for 3-5 years
Yes but office is native in OS X now

rosnarun

just make sure you have 2 or preferably 3 GB of memory and 500 gb hard disk or more and everything else should be grand with a new machine.
the main problems with getting a Mac is they are wildly expensive and you wont be able to borrow software and worst you are condemning the owner in to being a boring pratt who will spent the rest of their day trying to justify the needless expense by trying to convert the the rest of the world to Apple (this apply s even more so to iPhone users)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: ONeill on October 06, 2008, 10:50:12 PM
How would I flip a video image recorded on a mobile phone (to pc) 90 degrees? The ordinary packages cannot seem to do this.

Is it an image or a video clip???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...