Down Club's Clubhouse burnt

Started by wobbller, September 26, 2008, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The chairman or somebody was on the radio with a very defiant message - he said we'll build her bigger and better !

rrhf

I would see it as a very unbalanced response to a couple of hoods dobbing a bit of paint on the walls of a local orange hall.  It wouldnt surprise me that the same guys did both to stri up a little "fun".  But again the big problem is those who would even equate the local GAA club with the orange order, to me it comes from the same place as the misguided and cynical Sports minister unable to seperate the politic and the sport; the religion and the game; the good and the bad.   What price a little bit of leadership Gregory or perhaps this is a sideshow to your forward thinking approach to levelling the playing field.   

Maguire01

Quote from: thewingedlady on September 26, 2008, 08:08:44 PM
The report said they are in the county junior final on sunday. T'would be a nice victory for them, give the w**kers who committed the offence something to look at.
I doubt those who committed the offence would either know or care.

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2008, 11:01:24 AM
I would see it as a very unbalanced response to a couple of hoods dobbing a bit of paint on the walls of a local orange hall. 
You're not supposed to search for logic or balance in such behaviour.

Down Gael

Best wishes to St John today, what better way to rebuild than with some silverware.

fred the red

Would love to see St Johns win today, it would be the silver lining on the cloud of the last few days!

orangeman

Well done to St. John's on their great win yesterday !!!!!!

Bud Wiser

Maybe we should hold the GAA DB members golf classic for St. Mary's.
Hardstation, would you ask the boys from OWC if they want to support or will I ask them?

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

nifan

I would if i could golf Bud.
Absolute disgrace that someone would do such a thing, but then we have a lot of disgraceful scrotes running around.

Bud Wiser

Well let us know if St Marys are doing a fund raiser and we will do something or get some sponsorship for them.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ziggysego

Congratulations to St. John's on their win yesterday. I'm sure the whole of Ulster were delighted for you after the events during the week.
Testing Accessibility

Fíor Gael

Well done St. John's on junior final victory. Disgusting behaviour from the tramps who burnt your place down, and it's good to hear your chairman say you'll build it bigger and better the next time. We in Drumgath will support any fund raising event you have for the cause.
'Ní neart go cur le cheile'

Bud Wiser

Apologies all, (St. Mary's !!!) it was another thing Bud was dealing with last week,  nothing to do with the Saint herself.

On the burning of the St. John's clubhouse, if ye are doing a fundraiser then why not have a bit of DB support ?
Either way, if any member of the club PM's me a bit of sponsorship is available because I was discussing it this evening with friends how a club "St. Mary's" had been destroyed and one or two or three were interested in supporting any fundraiser.

Down Gael

Good idea Bud and would show that internet forums arent just here to criticise players/managers etc.

Bud Wiser

True Down Gael. Sorry about the mix up there, when the going gets tough for work here I generally mail shot from Planning Applications etc. Before I made the post I was mailing all Bords Of Management at Schools, hence the "St Mary's".

Back to the issue.  I agree with you. We are all Gaels and in this case this thread alone has had over 1000 views.

First let's seperate the chaff from the straw.  Now this is all only my opinion, I am merely commenting on how the DB could assist our own colleagues if they found themselves in trouble.  First lets differentiate between who qualifies. Sometimes we get caught up in emotions when there is a tragedy of the human kind and there is always great concern that, unless otherwise stated, the immediate family would prefer if we all minded our own business.  For that reason we will concentrate on the type of situation that St. John's are now in.

I see two ways the DB could make a name for itself and help rebuild the club.  (a) The Mother of All Golf Classics as described or (b) An On-Line auction as described.

Golf Classic Rules.

1.  All funds to be handled by a seperate bank account in the account of St. John's club and controlled only by the clubs Treasurer.
2.  All payments (booking fees) to be made directly to St. Johns Club account the number of tyhe dedicated account having been made available to participants.
3.  Each team to be a four ball, number of teams maximum 30.
4.  Each team will have one player who plays for free.  This must be a celebrity (no jokes please) inter-county footballer, manager, artist (Nadine Coyle) or of a celebrity of status that will encourage the other three players to first of all play the game and secondly enjoy the game.  Only one celebrity per team, Mickey & Michaella please note.
5.  Each three paying players will pay an entry fee of £200.  ( teams x 3 x 200 = £18,000.)
6.  There would be 18 tee box sponsorships of £150   (18 x 150 = £2,700)
7.  One main Sponsor, name displayed in function room, on driveway entrance, and in prominent locations on the day.  Sponsor mentioned in all advertising, promotion etc.  £3,000.

Out of the above £23,700 a four course meal will be provided for each participating player and of course their green fees are paid. Sponsorship of prizes can be obtained outside of inclusive costs.

Those who do not play golf can join us for a meal and sit with one of our celebrities - for a price/donation of around £50.00

That would be my general idea of a golf classic, change the figures to suit your own targets.

On-Line Auction.
Again, the dedicated account is where the money is directed.  This to be a simple DB auction between members of the board.
Ok, here is an example.  See the watch pictured below.  I buy these in quantities for business.  No enquiries whatsoever of a business nature will be entertained, this is strictly fundraising.
So every 2nd morning for a period of three weeks a number of items would be placed on the auction thread in General Discussion. The final bidder then transfers the funds to the account and the job is done.  The trick here is to have four similar items and to offer the four highest bidders one each at the average highest bid.  Offers like weekends in hotels, restaurants, holidays etc would come flying in because they will get exposure and advertising.  The auction should be capped at 3 weeks or 10-15000 which ever is the greater and not repeated unless on an annual basis.

Features 
Real chronographic steel body watch with built in microphone for voice recording. 
Built-in 256M Flash Memory. 
up to 16 hours recording time
Can play / record / download from internet all kind of MP3 songs.
4 Pin USB round port.
More than 9 hours continuous playing time when fully charged.
USB1.1 (Maximum 5Mbps) USB transmission rate. 
20HZ to 20KHz output frequency rate.
4MW+4MW Earphone output.
Window98/Me/NT/2000/XP Operating Platform.
Built-in Hi Li-ion rechargeable 150mAh/3.7V battery.
on board powerful microphone for hidden recording.

They are just my basic thoughts, class can add and delete as appropriate !

Johnnie99

As just posted on the down page, as a member of the st johns club i would like to thank all posters on here for their messages of support in the past number of days after the events of last friday.  the clubhouse will be rebuilt bigger and better than before as stated by our chairperson last week.  the events of last week will make the club stronger in the long run. 

Again, thanks for all the messages of support and the support received from our neighbouring clubs in recent days.