Guinness - declining standards

Started by maddog, September 24, 2008, 09:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 24, 2008, 12:03:36 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 24, 2008, 09:29:33 AM
It used to be that when you went to dublin for a match you could be virtually guaranteed pure nectar when you ordered your pint of stout. Now it seems you have to be very careful where you go if you want a good pint.
What mystified me was that on Sunday we were swallowing pints in Tom Mayes and they were top drawer, yet on Monday afternoon they were rotten and no better than you would get in Birmingham. One of the lads with us reckoned that it was down to different grades of Guinness i.e there are 3 different grades. Surely not? Anyone ever heard of this?

Were they serving food in the pub at lunchtime. I'm convinced that pints from a pub that doesnt do greasy grub such as chips/burgers etc are better. In pubs with grub on the menu the glasses are bound to have some residue from the food which is making the beer go bad...IMHO

Most pubs/resturaunts have two different washers for food and drinks. Most silverware and plates go back to the kitchen, where they are washing in a larger scale dishwasher, than that which should be suffiecient for washing glasses behind the bar.

Agnes Dipesto

I had a pint of Guinness in the Big Tree before them match and was handed it in a Magner's glass. Not impressed at all and Jury's wasn't the best either.

Brennan's bar in Bundoran does a great pint of Guinness.

AZOffaly

I had 4 lovely creamy pints in Tom Collins' pub in Limerick last night. Pure genuis.

screenexile

Guinness is a strange invention alright. I would take notions now and again of going on it but never at home. If I'm in the 'Free State' I will usually chance a few and I when I lived there I would have drank Guinness when going for a few pints rather than when on the session where I found it heavy.

The strange thing about it is I went to Manchester and found that I would drink it in Irish Bars over there and by and large it isn't too bad but whenever I have a pint at home in the North it just doesn't taste the same!

Best pint for me though is O'Donoghues on Merrion Row... best pint of Porter I've ever had!

wherefromreferee?

As we approach the 250th anniversary of the signing of the original lease for
St. James's Gate, we're delighted to announce that this world famous brewery will be getting a massive €100 million investment. It's great news for the home of Guinness but it's even better news for your favourite pint!

St. James's Gate Brewery is steeped in Guinness heritage, history and craftsmanship. So much so, you can almost taste it in every pint we brew. This fantastic investment means that every pint of Guinness in Ireland will continue to be brewed right here at St. James's Gate Brewery and you can look forward to that unique St. James's Gate magic in your pint of Guinness for many years to come.

The investment will be used to improve, renew and enhance the whole brewery. This along with our plans to build a separate brewery for the Guinness export market in Leixlip, will make Ireland a world-class centre of brewing excellence. Something we think would make the great man himself, Arthur Guinness, very proud!

Join us as we raise a glass to a long and exciting future here at St. James's Gate and the continuation of a brilliant brewing heritage here in Ireland.

Cheers,

The Guninness Team.

Just go this message this morning to my yahoo address.  Looks like we have nothing to fear!
In your Endo!

illdecide

aye i just got that e-mailed to myself this morning too. thought i'd won something when it came thru ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

wherefromreferee?

Quote from: illdecide on September 25, 2008, 11:33:34 AM
aye i just got that e-mailed to myself this morning too. thought i'd won something when it came thru ???

Thought it was a wee freebie myself illdecide.
In your Endo!

Goats Do Shave

Great bar in Waterford serves the best pint i've had... Doolans or  something...

delboy

Theres a fair load of oul shite talked about guiness, what it tastes like here, what its like there. To be honest i don't see what all the fuss is about its just a fairly mediocre dry stout pumped full of nitro to try and give it some character.

By far the biggest difference in guiness is how the guiness is served in the particular pub, how clean is the glass, how old is the keg, how competent is the bar man and most importantly whats the ratio of the pub gas (Nitro to Co2) and whats the pressure.

The idea that batches of guiness have huge variation is a nonsense, guinness were the first brewing company in the world who used statistics specifically to create conformity of batches, FFS the student T-test was created by a statitician in the employ of guinness to monitor their batches. Student wasn't his real name (it was William Sealy Gosset) but thats what he published it under so competitors wouldn't cope on to the advantages of using stats in brewing.

comethekingdom

Here here!
The pint of plain in my local is always the same regardless of batches etc - top class. Its all down to the gas/lines/glasses/barman.

Yes I Would

My oul fella used to say a pint of guinness was a bit like a priest.

A bad one could leave you with a very sore arse.

stiffler

Lads where do you reckon serves the best pint of guiness in the north?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Yes I Would

Fibber Magees in the back off Robinsons always served a tasty pint.

Alot of other establishments in Belfast i found were hit and miss.

Puckoon

Omagh Golf Club. Stellar.

I have the statistical analysis n numbers to back up that claim.

Goats Do Shave

Always a good bet to gaze around the bar... if the guninness is being pulled regularly - it'll be good stuff!