The psychology of ‘Breakout’

Started by Donagh, September 23, 2008, 11:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Amidst the predictable furore over the airing of the 'Breakout' documentary last night one aspect that hasn't been picked up on was the psychological manipulation and intimidation used by the escapers. The contributors last night explained how they gave the impression of conforming to prison rules in order to lessen tension and get the screws to lower their guard so as to gain information. This happened even to the extent that other prisoners not in on the plans not only began to question the men but would verbally abuse them for what they were doing. Later in the escape "controlled aggression" was used to scare the screws into submission so that the use of weapons would not be needed.

In his Doctoral thesis and subsequent book, 'Out Of Time: Irish Republican Prisoners. Long Kesh 1972-2000', Laurence McKeown also describes the use of similar techniques by the prisoners in order to gain segregation in the wake of the Hunger Strikes. In that episode the republican prisoners gave the impression of conforming in order to gain access to the prison workshops so they could sabotage them whilst also using psychology to intimidate the loyalist prisoners who locked themselves in their cells 24 hours a day as a direct result until they were eventually segregated.

I've heard that some of the things that really irritate the unionists up at Stormont is the cheery bonhomie, insistence on using first names and general personabilty that the Shinners use in their dealings with them. If I was a unionist up there I would be wondering as well whether it was genuine or whether they are still using the psychological approach that served them well in the past. Or maybe the plan is to keep them guessing? Interesting all the same...

illdecide

I would really like to see that programme again as it was very interesting but unfortunately i had 2 crying children to deal with and missed over half of it...What is the name of the guy that was never heard of or seen from the breakout. I remember the time of it i was in Paisley just outside Glasgow and the Strathclyde bizzies questioning all the men i was with about it (i was to young to question i was only 10) We were at a Celtic match before anyone has a smart answer...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

donalmac99

Quote from: illdecide on September 23, 2008, 11:31:49 AM
I would really like to see that programme again as it was very interesting but unfortunately i had 2 crying children to deal with and missed over half of it...What is the name of the guy that was never heard of or seen from the breakout. I remember the time of it i was in Paisley just outside Glasgow and the Strathclyde bizzies questioning all the men i was with about it (i was to young to question i was only 10) We were at a Celtic match before anyone has a smart answer...

you can

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?uri=%2Fiplayer%2F&go=toolbar&q=breakout

:)

Donagh

You mean that wasn't you in the shop who brought them to the ex-prisoners house in 'the estate'? We believe you... 

Sideshow Bob

They are still taking the Queens shilling for implementting British rule in the north east of Ireland.  Hows that for psychology Donagh (or is it codology???)  :D

Donagh

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 23, 2008, 11:33:21 AM

you can

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?uri=%2Fiplayer%2F&go=toolbar&q=breakout

:)

Now that you aren't ignoring my posts any more donalmac, are you going to produce the goods soon then?

Donagh

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on September 23, 2008, 11:38:32 AM
They are still taking the Queens shilling for implementting British rule in the north east of Ireland.  Hows that for psychology Donagh (or is it codology???)  :D

Do you want to expand on that in light of the first post SB?

illdecide

Quote from: Donagh on September 23, 2008, 11:37:02 AM

You mean that wasn't you in the shop who brought them to the ex-prisoners house in 'the estate'? We believe you... 

so you have me sussed out ;) The guy they never heard from again is called "illdecide" :D

Sideshow Bob

Donagh you can dress it up whichever way you like. Your cronies in Sinn Fein are being paid to run Northern Ireland by the British treasury. You can bullsh*t all you want about smashing it from within or however you want to dress it up, but Gerry and Martin are in the pay of Her Majestys Government and may be they were all along  ;) they have steered republicans down a path guided by one or more of the British Intelligence agencies.

Donagh

Quote from: illdecide on September 23, 2008, 11:48:00 AM

so you have me sussed out ;) The guy they never heard from again is called "illdecide" :D

According to Wiki Gerard Fryers and Séamus Campbell, had not been traced since the escape

Donagh

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on September 23, 2008, 11:48:51 AM
Donagh you can dress it up whichever way you like. Your cronies in Sinn Fein are being paid to run Northern Ireland by the British treasury. You can bullsh*t all you want about smashing it from within or however you want to dress it up, but Gerry and Martin are in the pay of Her Majestys Government and may be they were all along  ;) they have steered republicans down a path guided by one or more of the British Intelligence agencies.

Bob, I haven't dressed anything up, merely put forward a suggestion based on what I saw in the documentary and read in a book. I haven't even said that I agree with any of it. Is there anything in those observations you would refute or do you prefer just to throw around unsubstantiated allegations?

buglebhoy

One thing i really can't believe is how that sc**bag Gerry Kelly is a Junior Minister in Leadership of this Country. Thugs in Suits!! 

illdecide

Quote from: buglebhoy on September 23, 2008, 11:06:55 PM
One thing i really can't believe is how that sc**bag Gerry Kelly is a Junior Minister in Leadership of this Country. Thugs in Suits!! 

Why what makes him a sc**bag???

brokencrossbar1

Softly, softly catchy monkey style Donagh?  If Dev had let Collins do that 80 years ago there would be no issue now :-[

Sideshow Bob

With Kelly what you see is what you get. He has been there done it and got the t-shirt. With some of the others you dont know what you are getting, they pretend to be one thing yet you know there is a dark side. I wouldnt trust Adams as far as I could throw him.

Donagh nothing I have sais is an unsubstantiated allegation. Everything is fact. Adams, McGuinness & Co are overseeing British rule in the Six Counties and one or more than them have been in the pay of the British security services for a very long time. Would you not be suspicious of someone who was allowed out of jail for "talks" and not returned after the talks were finished? Who steered republicanism away from a miltary campaign to a political deal that cemented the British occupation of the 6 counties, changed the Irish constitution and brought republicans further away from a united Ireland than ever?