Dublin
3 (1.5%)
Mayo
15 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on January 05, 2010, 05:13:03 PM
The calender started as 01/01/00.

No Zap, the AD calendar started at 01/01/01, sorry  ;)

It's of no significance anyway -- who says that the anchor for the decade marker has to be fixed, i.e, there's nothing to stop us shifting the whole decade measurement back one year so that anomalies like 1930 being part of the 1920s can't arise.

The decade from the year 2000 to the year 2009 is a perfectly valid 10 years.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

longrunsthefox

As we all know, the whole debate is dung. Kerry have Sam now and that is all that matters. 

Zapatista

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 05, 2010, 05:18:06 PM
No Zap, the AD calendar started at 01/01/01, sorry  ;)

Feck it!! I'll get ye one day fear ;)  This is like finding out the truth of Christmas all over again :(

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 05, 2010, 05:29:31 PM
As we all know, the whole debate is dung. Kerry have Sam now and that is all that matters. 

Yip

blanketattack

The AD calendar didn't start until about 01/01/500

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: blanketattack on January 05, 2010, 06:13:33 PM
The AD calendar didn't start until about 01/01/500

Year zero is not used in the widely used Gregorian calendar, nor in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. Under those systems, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1.

It doesn't really matter when it did or didn't actually kick in, the key point is that there is no year zero.

Mike Sheehy

Even if you say that 5>3 is balanced out by head to heads then surely winning back to back AI would be the clincher. It hadn't been done for almost 20 years.

ONeill

Kerry = 4746km
Tyrone = 3155km

Mickey only has a few acres to work with compared to Kerry.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BallyhaiseMan

Its very Simple,
Kerry 5 All Irelands
Tyrone 3 All Irelands
Kerry are the team of the decade.
All these head to head arguments are laughable.

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2010, 08:31:22 PM
Kerry = 4746km
Tyrone = 3155km

That's a bit of a one-dimensional contribution.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on January 05, 2010, 11:16:55 PM
Kerry = 4746km
Tyrone = 3155km

Every inch matters.

J70

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 05, 2010, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 05, 2010, 03:10:25 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 04, 2010, 10:14:01 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2010, 12:18:12 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 04, 2010, 12:01:56 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 03, 2010, 11:33:15 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 03, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on January 03, 2010, 06:25:54 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 02, 2010, 08:19:54 PM
Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on January 02, 2010, 08:00:09 PM
Seriously lads, 16 pages on this?  ;)

Seems simple to me. Kerry won five, Tyrone three, Armagh and Galway one each. Game, set and match to the Kingdom.

History doesn't give a sh1t who beat who and who didn't beat who. All that matters is who won the All-Ireland.

Good thing im not a historian then. As someone who watched Tyrone beat Kerry 3 times i'd say Tyrone were the better team, unless of course you can explain to me how the "team of the decade" never managed to beat tyrone in that decade.

Going by that theory you must think Down were the team of the 20th century?

Anyway the team of the decade are the Dublin Blue Stars as they're the only team to have won a game this decade!

Yeah, Down were the team of the 60's anyway.

Listen Tyrone and Kerry were the two best teams of the decade, following it so far?

Hence if I was asked to choose between the two teams as to which side were the best over the last ten years I would say Tyrone due to the encounters I witnessed. Still following?

If this was a quiz and I was asked "Who won the most All-Irelands in noughties?" I would say Kerry but that's not what I'm being asked. Understand?

You may think Kerry were the best team, fair dues, shove it up your whole, watever, I don't care. It's your opinion. You keep your's, I'll keep mine. Gettit?

Good job Tyrone didn't meet Kerry then in one of Tyrone's off-years. Would they have beaten Kerry in '04, '06', '07 and '09? Maybe Kerry were just unfortunate that the three times they met Tyrone were in their own off-years.
...or maybe Tyrone was the better team  ;)  was hardly off years for Kerry as they reached the All Ireland semi-final and two finals when they got beat by Tyrone.

Its all relative. All-Ireland semi is a minimum expectation in Kerry, even in a poor year.

But again, would Tyrone have beaten Kerry in '04, '06, '07 and '09 had they been drawn together in any of those years?

They probably would as they beat them any other time they met.

Assuming for the sake of argument that that is the case, what would it prove? That Tyrone are a better side or that they just come out better in a direct matchup with Kerry? As I said in an earlier post, Man United used to beat Liverpool regularly in the early 80s, yet Liverpool were overall far, far more successful. Who was the better team?

To find the best between two competitors, you would go by result between them... a no brainer that one.

So in that case Man Utd were a better team than Liverpool in the early 80s and Liverpool have been a better team than United over the past year or so. And Donegal were the equal of Tyrone in the championship in the decade just ended!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2010, 01:42:12 AM
So in that case Man Utd were a better team than Liverpool in the early 80s and Liverpool have been a better team than United over the past year or so. And Donegal were the equal of Tyrone in the championship in the decade just ended!

If Man Utd had actually beaten Liverpool in a game of season-defining significance in the early 80s, i.e., final league game of the season, or Donegal had actually beaten Tyrone in a game of season-defining significance, then your argument might, just might, make some sense  ;)

blanketattack

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2010, 11:19:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 05, 2010, 11:16:55 PM
Kerry = 4746km
Tyrone = 3155km

Every inch matters.

Having less space was an advantage to Tyrone, they were more used to the higher population density at midfield.

J70

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 06, 2010, 09:34:37 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 06, 2010, 01:42:12 AM

If Man Utd had actually beaten Liverpool in a game of season-defining significance in the early 80s, i.e., final league game of the season, or Donegal had actually beaten Tyrone in a game of season-defining significance, then your argument might, just might, make some sense  ;)

My argument is that overall success and records are superior indicators of which of two teams is better. Head-to-head meetings, particularly when its such a small number as three spaced games out over five years, don't really mean much in this respect. Over the entire decade, Kerry were very clearly the better team.

ONeill

Average male height in Kerry: 6'1''
Average male height in Tyrone: 5'7''