can Tyrone become the new Kerry

Started by sam03/05, September 22, 2008, 05:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

Can Tyrone go on now to become the dominant team in Gaelic Football for the next few years?
I think that everything is in place. The team is still quite young, there is great underage players
coming through (as highlighted by the minor game). They are dominant at Schools level be it in
vocational schools or Colleges. They have won five ulster minor titles in the last eight years.
They have a great manager and excellent county board who run the county properly.
I think that Sam could well be back in Tyrone a few more times in the next few years.

dodgy umpire

the county's set up is the envy of the rest of the country
The Boys in Red and Black are back

sam03/05

It would also be interesting to see what might have happened over the past few seasons had they avoided the massive injury problems.
afterall they lost players such as Brian McGuigan, Conor Gormley, Brian Dooher, Stephen ONeill, Owen Mulligan to name but a few over the past few seasons.
Had they kept a clean bill of health during this period then they might have been going for three in a row yesterday.

GalwayBayBoy

There's many a slip between cup and lip.

Or in other words a lot can happen between now and then.

Pangurban

Can Tyrone beat Down, only joking lads, the Tyrone set-up will see them challenging for major honours every year. Hard work produces results, they deserve their success and its up to the rest of us to push and challenge them

Puckoon

Quote from: AFS on September 22, 2008, 06:02:49 PM
Quote from: sam03/05 on September 22, 2008, 05:55:42 PM
It would also be interesting to see what might have happened over the past few seasons had they avoided the massive injury problems.
afterall they lost players such as Brian McGuigan, Conor Gormley, Brian Dooher, Stephen ONeill, Owen Mulligan to name but a few over the past few seasons.
Had they kept a clean bill of health during this period then they might have been going for three in a row yesterday.

They certainly wouldn't have been going for 3 in a row, thats for sure.

On paper there is nothing to suggest that Tyrone won't compete for top honours in the next 5 years anyway. But I'm sure most Tyrone supporters know, especially after their side's trials and tribulations in the last couple of years, that you can't take anything for granted.

Not this year or the last. There is a distinct possibility that but for the tumult and tragedy of 2004, that 2005 could have been a potential 3 in a row for that Tyrone team. However, comparing Tyrone to becoming the new Kerry is a silly comparison.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

We should enjoy the moment rather than getting carried away with this kind of talk. We heard the same thing in 2003 but football paled into insignificance the following year. 2005 was supposed to start a period of Tyrone dominance but the following summer we couldnt get anything near the strongest team onto the park. You never know whats around the corner.

As for this team they owe us nothing. A lot of them have many miles on the clock and if this was their last hurrah you wouldnt blame them, they have worked miracles for Tyrone GAA. What their achievements should ensure is that Tyrone teams never go down the road again fearing their opponents. For many many years Tyrone teams suffered from having a losing tradition, this generation of players has smashed that to bits and the generations to come should take inspiration from that.

And we'll never become the new Kerry, there is only one Kerry. We'll do just fine as Tyrone ;).

Bogball XV

I can't see you being next nor near it next year and that's not sour grapes, nor jealousy, I just don't think you will be back so soon.  By all means dredge this back up in a year's time, but I am pretty confident that there'll be no need.
Enjoy this one lads, but don't be getting carried away.

Jinxy

Yis are screwed when we get our act together. :P

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

:D Jinxy.  All the talk of Kerry's shortcomings as champions for their failure to beat Tyrone is a bit unbecoming. You don't get Meath people coming in here to point out that Tyrone surely can't consider themselves true champions until they get the Meath monkey off their backs.

SidelineKick

If they win 32 in a row yes  :P

their underage set up is 2nd to none and i think thats the key. take a look at the derry minor panel of 2002 that won the AI, how many of them have broke through to the seniors? Gerard O'Kane occasionally, Mark Lynch who doesnt perform for us.  Thats about the height of it.

Tyrone know how to nurture their youth teams and develop them into successful teams. the current tyrone team that won 3 all irelands didnt come out of nowhere.  the underage teams they have will bring more and more quality players so they will always be in with a shout for the foreseeable future. worrying for a derry man :-\
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on September 23, 2008, 08:40:43 AM
:D Jinxy.  All the talk of Kerry's shortcomings as champions for their failure to beat Tyrone is a bit unbecoming. You don't get Meath people coming in here to point out that Tyrone surely can't consider themselves true champions until they get the Meath monkey off their backs.

True. I've no doubt they'd give up their 3 All-Irelands just to beat us once in the championship.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2008, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 23, 2008, 08:40:43 AM

True. I've no doubt they'd give up their 3 All-Irelands just to beat us once in the championship.
just as meath would in order to get a league victory over derry ;)

Jinxy

You mind your own business! Stop trying to hijack our hijack.