Michael McIlveen :Heartbreaking

Started by donalmac99, September 22, 2008, 03:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donalmac99

Quote from: Orior on September 23, 2008, 11:44:20 AM
Is there a baseball team in Ballymena hi? Or do they play rounders?

I've never seen baseball played properly anywhere in Ireland.

makes awful heart breaking reading
http://www.ballymenatimes.com/news/Michael-McIlveen-39hit-more-than.4516612.jp

Michael McIlveen 'hit more than 60 times- Court told

Michael McIlveen

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENT Published Date: 22 September 2008
The Michael McIlveen murder trial has heard one of his friends describe how the Catholic teenager was beaten and kicked by a 'screaming gang.'
The court heard a video tape of a police interview with the 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons. The interview was recorded hours before Michael McIlveen's life support machine was turned off on May 8 2006.

On Monday (print deadline prevented inclusion of report in this week's paper) the jury heard evidence from the witness that he, Michael McIlveen and another Catholic teenager had gone to a car park near the Leisure Centre and Cinema in Ballymena on May 6, 2006.

Witness told the court they had gone there to meet a friend but when they arrived they saw about 30 young people. Witness said he and Michael McIlveen had stressed they were' neutral' and just wanted to come down the town and see friends without 'having to deal with any of this s..t.'

A number of the group approached the trio and, according to the witness, Jeff Lewis of Rossdale, Ballymena, used sectarian language and stated: "I'm taking all three of you on here .. now."

Witness said he could smell alcohol on Lewis's breath and that he was 'staggering'.

Witness said the trio began to walk away but were followed and called 'all the names of the day'.

However, Lewis then invited the witness to 'get blocked with me' and witness agreed because he wanted to ensure that 'we could leave without a scratch on us.'

But when he heard the larger group talking about punching his friend, he said that they decided to leave. Michael McIlveen and the other teenager dashed off leaving witness behind.

The court heard that the gang, who were 'screaming', chased the two fleeing boys with the witness following. He said they found his friends hiding in an alley in the car park behind Broughshane Street in the town.

Witness said Lewis had gone 'straight for Michael.'

A fight broke out between the two but witness and another person broke up this initial incident. It was alleged that Lewis had then asked Michael McIlveen to go into the main car park 'to talk.'

The witness said that the rest of the gang arrived at the alley and headed towards Lewis and Michael McIlveen who had begun to fight again.

At this point, witness stated, Mervyn Wilson Moon (20) from Douglas Terrace, Ballymena (who changed his plea to guilty of murder last week) ran up and hit Michael McIlveen a 'full pelt swing' with a baseball bat.

This action, said witness, had felled Michael McIlveen and that Moon had continued to hit the deceased several times while he was the ground.

It was at this point, said the witness that others had joined in the attack.

Witness stated: "I said: 'Look Mervyn you can't do that. One on one is alright but not eleven on one. I don't care who you are or what you are or what religion you are, that's sick. You can't do that. You can't beat someone with a baseball bat on the ground.'"

Witness said that Moon told Lewis 'that's it'.

But, witness stated, Lewis (19) had replied: "No f..k off. This wee b.....d was fighting with me."

Witness alleged that Lewis had 'laid the feet' into Michael McIlveen.

He stated that Lewis had delivered about 30 hard kicks. Lewis, said the witness, swung his foot as if 'kicking a football' and was shouting sectarian abuse.

Witness stated that Michael McIlveen was rolling about as he was kicked '30 times if not more' by Christopher Francis Kerr (22) from Carnduff Drive, Ballymena and about 'ten times' by Aaron Cavana Wallace (20) from Moat Road, Ballymena.

Witness was unsure how often Christopher Andrew McLeister (18) of Knockeen Crescent had kicked Michael McIlveen.

He told the court that the catholic teenager had been 'crawling about' after the attack which he estimated had last five minutes.

In the aftermath of the incident, witness said he had helped Michael McIlveen to get home and even offered to call an ambulance but his friend had turned down the offer because his mother was at home.

During cross examination, the witness agreed that he had not been hurt by anyone during any of the confrontations and that Michael McIlveen could have thrown the first punch on the initial fight with Lewis.

Mr. Richard Weir QC, acting for Lewis, asked if his client had been armed with a weapon, to which the witness replied: "No sir."

He was then asked who it was who had held Michael McIlveen back after the first fight. Witness said he could not remember but admitted that he (witness) had not had much difficulty in pulling Lewis away.

Six of the seven accused in the case are charged with the murder of Michael McIlveen while all are charged with making an affray and three are charged with the criminal damage of a gate.

The accused are - Paul Henson (18), Condiere Avenue, Ballymena, who is charged with affray and criminal damage.

Christopher McLeister (18), Knockeen Crescent, Ballymena, who is charged with murder, affray and criminal damage.

Christoher Kerr (22) of Carnduff Drive, Ballymena, who is charged with murder and affray.

Jeff Lewis (19), Rossdale, Ballymena, who is charged with murder, affray and criminal damage.

Mervyn Moon, (20) of Douglas Terrace, Ballymena, who changed his plea to guilty last week.

Aaron Wallace (20), of Moat Road, Ballymena, who is charged with murder and affray.

And, a youth who is charged with murder, affray and criminal damage but cannot be named for legal reasons.

The case is being heard before Mr Justice Treacy.

Donagh

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 23, 2008, 11:50:15 AM

Not heart breaking enough for you though to have £1000 donated to the appeal fund?

donalmac99

Quote from: Donagh on September 23, 2008, 12:08:43 PM
Quote from: donalmac99 on September 23, 2008, 11:50:15 AM

Not heart breaking enough for you though to have £1000 donated to the appeal fund?

admin, how long are you going to allow this sick and twisted individual to hi jack threads in such a disturbing manner.

I would ask you to suggest to this person that he dontaes this money anyhow to a very worthwhile causee and ceases issuing threats, be it on the public forum or via the pm system.

post reported

Donagh

Quote from: donalmac99 on September 23, 2008, 12:17:52 PM

admin, how long are you going to allow this sick and twisted individual to hi jack threads in such a disturbing manner.

I would ask you to suggest to this person that he dontaes this money anyhow to a very worthwhile causee and ceases issuing threats, be it on the public forum or via the pm system.

post reported

So worthwhile that you won't do the necessary to have the money donated? Hypocrite!

Candyman

Donal I dont want to get involved in your arguement but could you just not post proof that Donagh somehow abused you by PM and let that be the end of it???

Im sure everyone else reading this thread like myself dont want to be tortured by your petty little row!!!

SouthArmaghBandit

The details of this case are very disturbing. It must be heart breaking for young McIlveen's parents to hear such evidence.

donalmac99

I will lock this thread as a certain twisted and bitter individual ,that likes to threaten people via the pm system , continues to hijack the thread and show blatant dis respect to the memory of a young child, and his family, murdered by savages.
You can form your own opinions regarding this twisted sicko.