Game of the year?

Started by stiffler, September 21, 2008, 10:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyssam5

Aye being from Tyrone I thought it was a poor championship, no good games, final between 2 bad teams. Soft AI for Tyrone really.

cornafean

Quote from: Gnevin on September 21, 2008, 10:56:50 PM
Poor Leinster and Connaught championship, poor Connaught final , Poor ulster replay . Half decent Munster final , nothing to report about the rest of the Chamionship.  Some shocking performances Meath, Dublin  ,Kildare ,Cavan  spring to mind.

When was Cavan's "shocking performance" this year? Beating Antrim? Losing to Armagh by 4? Or losing to Kildare by a point after conceding a 73rd minute goal?

Best games for me: Tyrone v Dublin, Cork v Kerry replay, AI Final.

Galway v Kerry overrated in my opinion, good Kerry display but how Galway managed to escape serious criticism for conceding 10 points in 20 minutes after Bergin's goal is beyond me. It was a collapse on a par with Meath v Wexford.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: cornafean on September 22, 2008, 02:34:40 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 21, 2008, 10:56:50 PM
Poor Leinster and Connaught championship, poor Connaught final , Poor ulster replay . Half decent Munster final , nothing to report about the rest of the Chamionship.  Some shocking performances Meath, Dublin  ,Kildare ,Cavan  spring to mind.

When was Cavan's "shocking performance" this year? Beating Antrim? Losing to Armagh by 4? Or losing to Kildare by a point after conceding a 73rd minute goal?

Best games for me: Tyrone v Dublin, Cork v Kerry replay, AI Final.

Galway v Kerry overrated in my opinion, good Kerry display but how Galway managed to escape serious criticism for conceding 10 points in 20 minutes after Bergin's goal is beyond me. It was a collapse on a par with Meath v Wexford.

Eh? Meath had a 10 point lead and lost it. Galway got no further than 2 points up against Kerry who let's be honest are a far better team than Wexford are.

How these are similiar I don't know apart from the fact that one side came from behind to win both games but to equate one to the other is complete nonsense.

Gabriel_Hurl

Funny the 2 lads saying it was a poor Championship are Dublin lads

dubinhell

Galway vs Kerry followed by Tyrone v Kerry

AZOffaly

Quote from: dubinhell on September 22, 2008, 03:50:14 PM

Galway vs Kerry followed by Tyrone v Kerry

I'll agree with that. The final had more intensity, but the skills on display in those conditions for the Galway - Kerry game were unreal.

corn02

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 22, 2008, 03:46:45 PM

To say it was poor is absolutely no slight on Tyrone.

It was an avergae Championship. Some suprb games and some dour games. There have very few stand-out Championships in the last ten years. It ranks probably in the top half of the last ten years.

AZOffaly

Quote from: corn02 on September 22, 2008, 03:58:21 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 22, 2008, 03:46:45 PM

To say it was poor is absolutely no slight on Tyrone.

It was an avergae Championship. Some suprb games and some dour games. There have very few stand-out Championships in the last ten years. It ranks probably in the top half of the last ten years.

Lads, that's the way it has been every year since the GAA started. Certainly every year since I can remember watching games, and that's nigh on 30 years at this stage. There's always good games, average games and shite games. I wouldn't say this has been a great championship, or a poor championship, but there's very few 'great' championships that I can recall.

lynchbhoy

are people forgetting that championship matches will rarely be showpieces ?

footbal championship is usually trench warefare with a few bits of sublime skill to lift one team over the other.

Good championship. Might not be glitzy, but apart from the feigning inj and diving (and rubbish lack of proper discipliery procedure) the football was manly and the fast and hard fare you woul dexpect from our top football teams.
A good year undoubtedly for fans of FOOTBALL not glitzy bling.

Real1995

kerry - Galway for me, it was pure footballing quality.....
Nice guys always finish second!

Main Street

For me the game of the year was the final.
Tyrone received a lot of deserved applause but Kerry haven't received near as much as they deserved. We take a lot of their quality for granted.
The to and fro intensity of the final was unreal, Kerry clawing their way back to take the lead and the Tyrone response despite hitting a number of wides was daunting. Neither team wilted though one proved more capable.

Kerry Galway was next, just.

Leo

Top Five:

1   Down V Tyrone (replay)
2   Kerry v Galway
3   All-Ireland Final
4  Tyrone v Down (R1 Ulster)
5   Kerry v Cork (Munster Final)
Fierce tame altogether

GalwayBayBoy

1. Kerry v Galway - Just an incredible display of football in horrendous conditions.
2. Kerry v Tyrone -  Not a classic but still a better final than most.
3. Tyrone v Down - Only saw the extended highlights of this one but a very good game of football.

bcarrier

GBB  top 3 for me in same order.

Leo

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2008, 04:45:32 PM
1. Kerry v Galway - Just an incredible display of football in horrendous conditions.
2. Kerry v Tyrone -  Not a classic but still a better final than most.
3. Tyrone v Down - Only saw the extended highlights of this one but a very good game of football.

If you only saw extended highlights you cant comment. More merit in that I attended all the games on my selection excpet Munster Final which I saw in full on TV.
Fierce tame altogether