All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Gael

Maybe I am a bit biased, but Dan Gordon was the best midfielder in Ireland in 2009. He has been playing since January and had star performances in the vast majority of his games. He dominated midfield in both games against Tyrone, also against armagh when everyone was talking up McGrane after his performance against Cavan. He was outstanding in the qualifiers right up to the game against Wexford, where after a hectic week off the field he, like the rest of the team failed to perform. His performane against Tyrone was worthy of an All Star, but the TV cameras weren't there that night. I am sure every player nominated had at least one below par performance in the championship, but they still get their nominations and in a lot of cases all stars will be handed out on performances in September and September only. At the very least Dan deserved a nomination and must feel very aggrieved.

full back

Quote from: Down Gael on September 25, 2008, 11:41:07 AM
Maybe I am a bit biased but Dan Gordon was the best midfielder in Ireland in 2009. He has been playing since January and had star performances in the vast majority of his games. He dominated midfield in both games against Tyrone, also against armagh when everyone was talking up McGrane after his performance against Cavan. He was outstanding in the qualifiers right up to the game against Kerry, where after a hectic week off the field he, like the rest of the team failed to perform. His performane against Tyrone was worthy of an All Star, but the TV cameras weren't there that night. I am sure every player nominated had at least one below par performance in the championship, but they still get their nominations and in a lot of cases all stars will be handed out on performances in September and September only. At the very least Dan deserved a nomination and must feel very aggrieved.

Yes, you are biased

Gordon did play well, but on many occasions he played well against players that wouldnt be considered the best in their county. How many counties had their best players out playing in January?
When it came to the business end of the c'ship, IMHO he was out-played.

A nomination, perhaps, but not near the best midfielder in Ireland in 2008

Over the Bar

QuoteTo be honest, the whole all star thing is a load of shite every year.

Michael O'Muirheartaigh could not have put that any better myles!

Fact is tho' you are right.   The all-stars began to lose credibilty once players were nominated in positions they had never played just to make sure they got the award.    3 of the greatest jokes of the last few years were:

(a) Peter Canavan at CHF 2005

(b) Brian McGuigan losing out in 2005 as a result of (a) despite perfomances that warranted player of the year.

(c) Paddy Bradley in 2007 a mediocre year for him yet got an AS just because he'd never had one and was overlooked in previous more deserving years. 

Down Gael

He dominated in both games against Tyrone, yet Tyrone have a nomination at midfield, he cleaned out McGrane, though Armagh won the game. In the qualifiers he was outstanding until the defeat by Wexford. I think he deserves at least a nomination.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Down Gael on September 25, 2008, 11:56:39 AM
He dominated in both games against Tyrone, yet Tyrone have a nomination at midfield, he cleaned out McGrane, though Armagh won the game. In the qualifiers he was outstanding until the defeat by Wexford. I think he deserves at least a nomination.

You have to remember Enda McGinlay went off after ten minutes in Omagh and didnt make the replay in Newry - McGinlay has had an excellent championship and is the best number 8 or 9 in Ireland at the moment.

Down Gael

Forgot about that, still doesnt take away from the fact that Gordon was magnificent this year and deserving of at least a nomination.

full back

I think he deserves at least a nomination.

As I said, maybe a nomination but he isnt the best midfielder in Ireland (I take it you meant 2008 & you arent predicting the future ;)

The GAA

according to the irish news....

BerfArmagh

From the nominees released today, my Allstar team would be

Goalkeeper
Anthony Masterson (Wexford)

Full-Backs
Conor Gormley (Tyrone) All Star '03, '05
Justin McMahon (Tyrone)
Marc Ó Sé (Kerry) All Star '06, '07

Half-Backs
Davy Harte (Tyrone)
Philip Jordan (Tyrone) All Star '03, '05
Ryan McMenamin (Tyrone) All Star '05

Midfield
Enda McGinley (Tyrone)
Darragh Ó Sé (Kerry) All Star '00, '02, '06, '07

Half-Forwards
Redmond Barry (Wexford)
Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone) All Star '03, '04, '05
Padraic Joyce (Galway) All Star '98, '00, '01

Full-Forwards
Ronan Clarke (Armagh) All Star '06
Tommy Walsh (Kerry)
Ciaran Lyng (Wexford)

ziggysego

Quote from: BerfArmagh on September 25, 2008, 12:10:18 PM

Goalkeeper

Full-Backs
Justin McMahon (Tyrone)

Half-Backs
Davy Harte (Tyrone)

Midfield
Enda McGinley (Tyrone)

Half-Forwards
Redmond Barry (Wexford)

Full-Forwards
Tommy Walsh (Kerry)
Ciaran Lyng (Wexford)

Same as yourself, only Dooher to replace Joyce.
Testing Accessibility

full back

Quote from: BerfArmagh on September 25, 2008, 12:10:18 PM

Goalkeeper

Full-Backs
Justin McMahon (Tyrone)

Half-Backs
Davy Harte (Tyrone)

Midfield
Enda McGinley (Tyrone)

Half-Forwards
Redmond Barry (Wexford)

Full-Forwards
Tommy Walsh (Kerry)
Ciaran Lyng (Wexford)

Would you seriously have Tommy Walsh instead of the Gooch & no Dooher??

AZOffaly

Marc O'Sé lads? I think Marc O'Sé has had a poor year by his standards.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 25, 2008, 11:40:30 AM
Quote from: The GAA on September 25, 2008, 10:33:31 AM
Could those o are picking reilly as the keeper justify their selction?

The nomination of James is a bit of a shock but he is the best goalie in Ireland as far as I am concerned. Now, he had a very good league but I suppose Cavan early exit from the championship did him no favours. Aren't the all stars supposed to reflect the entire year as opposed to just the championship. I mean, Tyrone had a poor league and poor early run in the championship so maybe there is a case for them not getting so many all stars. To be honest, the whole all star thing is a load of shite every year.
I think this year's nominations are much worse than normal, I don't want to start with the sour grapes, but one nomination for the league champions?  It's only nominations ffs, couldn't they have threw us 3/4?
I agree with you re Reilly, but he shouldn't have been nominated this year, I don't remember Masterson making many decent stops this year, is in for his kick outs against Armagh?  It had to be Gallagher as imo no other keeper had as much of a positive influence in games he played in.

T O Hare

Quote from: redhandluke on September 25, 2008, 02:15:42 AM
Can't understand why big Sean Cav is not nominated in the FF line?

Also Joey McMahon more than most is being penalised for his flexibility - at home in the backs, midfield or forwards - done a great job in all three areas for Tyrone this year.

its accomodating the Gooch and star.. Clarke will join them in the full forward line, The team is picked already!!!!
Francie Bellew???????????????????? Mc Keever was Armagh's best defender this year... Francie was hardly staedy against Fermangh in both games, there is some strange decisions!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

imtommygunn

Tomas O'Se has to get one for me.

Marc O'Se had a poor year by his standards but his standards are very high and he was still a lot better than most defenders out there. I still don't think he'll get one though.

Reilly shouldn't have got a nomination.

Gordon probably should have got one but was undone by playing poorly in croke park.

Anyone who thinks Gooch won't get one well I'd be willing to bet a lot of money on that...