Best coach / manager you ever played for and why

Started by irunthev, September 19, 2008, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

A few years ago ITV ran some ads in order to promote teaching and celebrities were asked to name their favourite teachers from their school days. It was a great chance to promote ordinary folk. So enough about the big guns. Who was the best coach or manager you ever played for at either school, club or county level and why?

under the bar

I am proud to say that I have played under Mickey Harte.  He is an inspiration and his influence is overwhelming.

Zulu

Could elaborate UtB, on MH and why he is such a good coach?

robertemmet

Adrian McGuckin (St pat's maghera) was the best I have came across.  He was way ahead of his time in some of the methods of training teams.  A terrific motivator.

He had a terrific way of getting the best out of every player.  Very oten St Pat's teams didn't have the best footballers in some positions, but Big Adrian gave them a simple job, outlined it and told them that they were the brilliant.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

T O Hare

Ray Morgan was a great coach in the college.. Pete Mc Grath was his assistant!!!! ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thejuice

David Beggy, great coach, got more out of the lads than we'd shown before.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

boojangles

Marty McElkannon-Best coach I ever played under.His attention to detail,discipline,knowledge,composure,motivation skills,man management skills and overall persona were an inspiration.This man will coach a team to an All-Ireland Senior title yet.

Armagh Exile

Packie McConville from Crossmaglen.
He is presently managing/coaching a team in Louth.

fred the red

Gabriel_Hurl

Brian McIvor/Eugene Young for Ardboe in the late 90's/early 00's

With Yong's training methods and McIvors motivational skills - it was a great combination

ONeill

Unfortunately had none. 'Use your height and weight' was the only call I remember.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Carmen Stateside