learning to drive!!

Started by kinghen, September 18, 2008, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinghen

ok so i'm 23 and still dont have my driving test  :-[

i know, i know, its ridiculous, but im not here looking for your degrading comments and your guffaws of laughter, i simply seek a bit of advice regarding the best/(more importantly cheapest way to get the test??

i do know how to manoeuvre a vehicle, used to drive vans forklift etc around the yard at work when i was 17/18, i just never got round to doin any official lessons etc etc, then i went down to belfast to "study" and i just didnt have the time or money for that matter to learn! I now regret not just doing the lessons before i left for uni, as the lessons have become so much dearer now!
(even 2 of my younger siblings now have the test and im left stranded!!)

if anyone can help regarding this issue please let me know:
is it best to get some road experience, with a family member before actually taking professional lessons or will i pick up bad habits etc??
i would really like to get the test before the end of this calendar year, is this a realistic goal??

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The GAA

Gnevin

Quote from: kinghen on September 18, 2008, 10:01:46 AM

i know, i know, its ridiculous, but im not here looking for your degrading comments and your guffaws of laughter, i simply seek a bit of advice regarding the best/(more importantly cheapest way to get the test??

i do know how to manoeuvre a vehicle, used to drive vans forklift etc around the yard at work when i was 17/18, i just never got round to doin any official lessons etc etc, then i went down to belfast to "study" and i just didnt have the time or money for that matter to learn! I now regret not just doing the lessons before i left for uni, as the lessons have become so much dearer now!

is it best to get some road experience, with a family member before actually taking professional lessons or will i pick up bad habits etc??
i would really like to get the test before the end of this calendar year, is this a realistic goal??

Are you up north or down south?
Can you start a car without issue i.e have no problems with the clutch and starting ? If so I'd suggest some professional lessons
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rois

Definately a realistic goal but it'll cost you.

I'd say definately go for the professional lessons.  They not only teach you how to drive, they teach you how to pass the test.  They will hammer into you about looking in your mirrors - driving with your family never drums that into your head. 

Get the theory test done now too.

kinghen

yea im in the north, newry would be where my test would be, i actually heard that it has one of the highest pass rates in the north!
but yea plan on booking th theory asap, and with regards the cost, suppose i'll just have to cough it up, just really need to do it now, because it just widens your horizons and is almost a necessity for getting work!

with regards my limited ability so far, i have no problem starting a car and moving it through the gears etc, but only in a yard/industrial estate environment, i have absolutely no road experience! suppose i just need to build up my confidence. I tend to be one of those people who cant stand being bad at something, if i try something new and im not good straight away, i tend to get frustrated and give up  :-[

girt_giggler

In my case I had never drove in my life before.  Started lessons & then got practice in with family members between times.  I was fortunate enough to take to it like a duck to water.  You say you know how to manoeuvre a vehicle, maybe so, but they way the instructor will tell you do things is likely to be very different from what you can/think you can do.

I wouldn't set myself a specific target to have passed your test.  I would just get started, keep at it & take it from there.

stpauls

was lucky enough that when i did my test, my parents were happy enough to let me drive the family car to get my road experience up!! living in Mullaghbawn it was easy enough to be able to do that and not get lifted by the cops for it either!! was also lucky enough to get my test 4 days before the theory part was introduced!!

brokencrossbar1

I did my test in Newry and will never forget it.  There was an explosion at the Court house and the place was mayhem.  I was stuck on Windsor Hill trying to get onto the Rathfriland Road and I must have done about 20 hill starts!

Anyway, go to a country area to get used to the road before you start into driving round the town.  You need to be comforatble with the dimensions of the car and the notion of other traffic going past you.  I know what people are saying about getting an instructor, but they are not cheap and a lot of learning to drive is, surprise, surprise practice.  Get someone with you who is sensible and knows how to drive properly and save yourself a few bob before taking lessons.

downgirl

I would have went out with my dad when I first started just to get the hang of the clutch and stuff, but if you can do that already then I'd say go for lessons, but if you can, drive with someone inbetween the lessons.  As for pass rate, I did mine in Downpatrick 3 years ago and then it had one of the highest pass rates too...but if they need a fail they take you on certain routes, I remember my instructor saying that there is this reverse round a corner that is also uphill, and if they want a fail they will bring you that route because it's quite tough to get it without either going over the line or hitting the kerb.  So if you get a few lessons with the instructor get them to show you some of the test routes and some of the places they do the manoeuvres, and then get practice in your own car with a family member.  I got 2 minors for doing my manoeuvres too slow...I didn't think I was but at the same time it's better to go slow and not hit the kerb!!  But that's something to watch out for as well!

J70

Quote from: kinghen on September 18, 2008, 10:01:46 AM

If you've driven vans and stuff, you should be fairly adept at handling a vehicle which is half the battle. The other half is getting used to the roads, which is obviously hugely important for a test, given that you have to demonstrate that you can drive safely in traffic on public roads! Even simple stuff like having cycled when you were in college in Belfast should be a help there, as you will be used to traffic. If you have family members who are good drivers, go out with them and save your cash: there is plenty of info out there on the details that you need to pay attention to when driving. Before christmas should be easily attainable.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: kinghen on September 18, 2008, 10:58:07 AM
yea im in the north, newry would be where my test would be, i actually heard that it has one of the highest pass rates in the north!

Is Mickey Linden taking bribes???   :)

Tony Baloney

Was a late starter myself for the same reasons - went to college and never needed a car during the week and got the bus or a lift home at weekends. Like all latecomers i wished i had done it sooner. Even if you don't think you need a car, when you actually get one you realise how wrong you were.
Like downgirl i would suggest you take proper lessons to learn correct driving rules but get the family to take you out in between times as road experience is vital if you are only taking a lesson a week for example.

SLIGONIAN

Im 26 and passed my driving test in June of this yr. Only started driving in Novemeber 07. Never drove before that. I got 6 lessons straight away then got insured on my dads car, practiced away till my test appointment came up. Got 2 more lessons and passed. Good luck.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AFS

Quote from: Great Leap Forward on September 18, 2008, 01:30:34 PM
Quote from: kinghen on September 18, 2008, 10:58:07 AM

Is Mickey Linden taking bribes???   :)

I got him for mine a few years back. It was a dream, he spent most of the time texting and reading something he had with him. I'm pretty sure that I could've done anything, as long as I didn't write the car off, and I still would've passed that day.