What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2012, 09:35:37 AM
The whole concept of "smart TV" or "smart phone" is going to look hilarious in 15 years' time

Jaysus man, do you *ever* say anything positive? :) Cheer up, it's nearly Christmas!

Archie Mitchell

Looking to buy a new TV with built in freeview, which can get RTE, and a built in DVD player. Been looking online and can't see anywhere where it says the type of freeview in it. Any one any ideas of where to look?

screenexile

Just checked Currys there and they tell you the type of tuner the TV has eg. Freeview or Freeview HD.

thewobbler

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 11, 2012, 11:26:08 AM
Looking to buy a new TV with built in freeview, which can get RTE, and a built in DVD player. Been looking online and can't see anywhere where it says the type of freeview in it. Any one any ideas of where to look?

Archie, two things I've learned, which I think are true (someone who is really into this can probably clarify).

1. If you want to pick up RTE directly from ROI, thereby making sure the likes of Champions League football isn't blocked from your transmission, you need an MPG4 TV. MPG2 is the UK standard, and it's an older standard. MPG4 can render all MPG2. As a rule of thumb, if you stick to Samsung TVs, then you should be okay. But there are exceptions.

2. If you can't get a direct signal from ROI, you can also pick up RTE (via Saorview) if you have Freeview HD TV. Be aware that a Full HD TV with Freeview is not the same thing. Which is what I found out. Even if your TV is full HD 1080, it probably has a SD Freeview transmitter, and you need a HD transmitter to see RTE's pictures. Look for a Freeview HD label on the TV box.

Hope this helps.

gerrykeegan

2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Main Street

Quote from: thewobbler on December 11, 2012, 12:05:02 PM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 11, 2012, 11:26:08 AM

Archie, two things I've learned, which I think are true (someone who is really into this can probably clarify).

1. If you want to pick up RTE directly from ROI, thereby making sure the likes of Champions League football isn't blocked from your transmission, you need an MPG4 TV. MPG2 is the UK standard, and it's an older standard. MPG4 can render all MPG2. As a rule of thumb, if you stick to Samsung TVs, then you should be okay. But there are exceptions.

2. If you can't get a direct signal from ROI, you can also pick up RTE (via Saorview) if you have Freeview HD TV. Be aware that a Full HD TV with Freeview is not the same thing. Which is what I found out. Even if your TV is full HD 1080, it probably has a SD Freeview transmitter, and you need a HD transmitter to see RTE's pictures. Look for a Freeview HD label on the TV box.

Hope this helps.
Samsung make United Ireland TV's?

thewobbler

Not quite Main Street. They just have a policy of putting the MPG4 component into TVs they sell in the UK. Most other manufacturers do not. It probably saves them about 3 pence too, I'd imagine.

armaghniac

QuoteSamsung make United Ireland TV's?

More or less. They sell much the same model all over Europe, whereas some of the other price gougers providers sell a model with the minimum for each market to reduce grey imports and the like.
LG likewise.

Worth checking the Saorview list to see if a model is there.
http://www.saorview.ie/equipment/saorview-approved-product-listings/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Archie Mitchell

Would it be better to buy a LCD or LED TV?

armaghniac

QuoteWould it be better to buy a LCD or LED TV?

LED TVs are not really LED TVs, but LCD TVs with LED backlighting. Most better sets are LED nowadays.
Compare the power consumption, I bought a TV 2 years ago and reckoned the LED would pay for the difference in price in less juice in about 2 years (but I might have got a digit wrong in my calculations, it might be 20 years :)

Milltown Row2

Ok that last post confused me!!

At last the old TV has finally packed in there now!! So happy as that means I'll have to get a new one, her indoors was looking carpet and a a few rooms painted, that will have to wait :D

I'm going to have about £300 and looking a 40" TV what is the best type for me dough?

Seen this Toshiba 40BV702B 40" Full HD LCD TV with Freeview for just under £300 in Tesco but I'd rather wait and ask the knowledgable ones here on the best course of action!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

QuoteSeen this Toshiba 40BV702B 40" Full HD LCD TV with Freeview for just under £300 in Tesco but I'd rather wait and ask the knowledgable ones here on the best course of action!!

If it doesn't have a Freeview HD (DVB-T2) tuner then pass by and get one that does.
It doesn't seem to.

Milltown Row2

Ok what about this? I'm hopeless at this stuff so thanks in advance

Celcus LED40S0913FHD 40" Full HD 1080p LED TV

Sleek and feature-packed, the Celcus LED40S0913FHD LED TV offers Full HD resolution for outstanding entertainment quality. A built-in digital tuner, receives all-free-to-air digital programmes via Freeview, so you can enjoy more than 50 TV channels and 25 radio stations.

A range of technological features ensure a good picture while on-screen menus make set up easy. The back features an HDMI socket, a USB socket as well as a SCART socket, so it's capable of linking with your DVD player, games console or other USB-equipped hardware. There's even a headphone socket for when you don't want to disturb people with your viewing - or gaming!

There's a removable stand, so you can choose to wall-mount it (mount sold separately). Speaker output is 2x8W.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Trusted Reviews usually gives accurate reviews for TVs.  As for the Toshiba 40BV702B, I saw that TV for as little as £260 a few months ago so it should be possible to get it for that price somewhere still.  As for freeview HD, obviously better to get that than normal freeview but I don't imagine it would be that big a loss as there are not too many HD channels on freeview HD.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

QuoteAs for freeview HD, obviously better to get that than normal freeview but I don't imagine it would be that big a loss as there are not too many HD channels on freeview HD.

Of course you may be using cable or satellite. But if an aerial is (or might be) involved then there is no point in getting a HD tv that doesn't actually pick up HD. Also if you are getting RTÉ from Black Mountain this requires a Freeview HD set.

I'd say any changes over the next few years will involve more DVB-T2 channels and a possible end of duplication of channels.