Past minors - Mayo v Down 1999

Started by irunthev, September 16, 2008, 03:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

I thought this idea might be worth a stab as a thread just to break up the Kerry / Tyrone monologue. Was looking through some old programmes the other day and came across the one for the All Ireland Minor Final of 1999 between Down and Mayo.
With both counties having large numbers contributing to this board and with the numbers of minors progressing through to senior always being far fewer than we expect, I thought we might try and take a stab at where the respective starting XVs went in their football careers and in life in general. Some are pretty obvious, others aren't.

Down.

1. John Sloan ( Attical)
2. John Clarhe (An Riocht)
3. Brendan Grant (Mayobridge)
4. Mark Doran (Longstone)
5. Brendan Kearney (Warrenpoint)
6. Liam Doyle (Liatroim)
7. Colm Murtagh (Glenn)
8. Louis Sloan (Attical)
9. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge)
10. Damian Grady (Castlewellan)
11. Michael Walsh (Mayobridge)
12. Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland)
13. PJ McAlinden (Burren)
14. John Fegan (Clonduff)
15. Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge)

Mayo

1.   John O'Hara (Moy Davitts)
2.   MJ Meeneghan (Tourmakeedy)
3.   Paraic Kelly (Kilmaine)
4.   John Brogan (Knockmore)
5.   Rory Keane (Ballinrobe)
6.   Paul Coady (Burrishoole)
7.   Conor Moran (Burrishoole)
8.   James Gill (Westport)
9.   Gavin Duffy (Ballina)
10.   Robert Moran (Moy Davitts)
11.   BJ Padden (Belmullet)
12.   Barry Loftus (Crossmolina)
13.   Gary Dillon (Ballintubber)
14.   Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
15.   Eoin Gallagher (Charlestown)

Zulu

Seems far more Down lads went on to play senior, Gavin Duffy now plays professional rugby if I'm not mistaken so that might have made one more for Mayo.

furboot

the Mayo goalkeeper John O'Hara went down the professional soccer route. He made underage caps for Ireland and I think he then won a soccer scolarship to a US university and was fairly succesful over there .  - played a season or two with Sligo Rovers but back in the US pro league again

robertemmet

Derry Minors 1989 v Offaly
1-Martin O'Connor (Dungiven)
2-Jarlath Martin (Ballinderry)
3-Paddy McAlister (Kilrea)
4-Gregory Simpson (Banagher)
5-Barry McGonigle (Dungiven)
6-gary coleman (Magherafelt)
7-Roddy Skelly (Bal;lerin)
8-Anthony Tohill (Swatragh)
9-John Mulholland (Bellaghy)
10-Rory McEldowney (Kilrea)
11-james Lynn (Greenlough)
12-Eamon Burns (Ballinascreen)
13-Eunan O'kane (Dungiven)
14-Dermot Heaney (Castledawson)
15-Declan Bateson (Ballinderry)
Manager JJ Kearney (Slaughtneil)

1995 beaten by Wesmeath
1-David Hopkins (Magherafelt)
2-John Heaney (Glenullin)
3-Michéal Kelly (Slaughtneil)
4-Emmett McGilloway (Doire Colmcille)
5-Paul McFlynn (Loup)
6-Ciaran McNally (Bellaghy)
7-Paul Diamond (Bellaghy)
8-Johnn McBride (Loup)
9-Gary Doyle (Lavey)
10-Gary Coleman (Loup)
11-Enda Muldoon (Ballinderry)
12-Adrian McGuckin (Ballinderry)
13-Gary Cushnahan (lavey)
14-Joe Cassidy (Bellaghy)
15-Gerard Cassidy (Ballinderry)
Manager: Chris Brown (Bellaghy)

2002 v Meath
1-Eoin McNicholl (Glenullin)
2-Michael McGoldrick (Bellaghy)
3-Gerard O'Kane (Glenullin)
4-Joe Keenan (Magherafelt)
5-Kieran McCallion (Greenlough)
6-Mark Lynch (Banagher)
7-Paul O'Hea (Steelstown)
8-Patsy Bradley (Slaughtneil)
9-Rory Convery (Swatragh)
10-Barry McGoldrick (Coleraine)
11-Cathal O'Kane (Craigbane)
12-Conleth Moran (Glen)
13-James Bateson (Ballinderry)
14-Paul Young (Loup)
15-Ciaran Mullan (Drumsurn)
Manager: Chris Brown (Bellaghy)

Mourne Rover

By my reckoning, 11 of that 1999 Down minor side went on to play senior county football. Some people think Louis Sloan could yet make it 12, and six of the 1999 team were in this year's championship squad.

anglocelt39

Was that the Mayo team that had a few Schools Rugby internationals? I seem to remember Mayo turning in one of the best displays I can ever recall from a minor team in the semi final, against Cork I think, They kicked points for absolute fun from all angles. If I'm not mistaken Mayo seniors were in Croker the same day and couldn't kick a score for love nor money. Down then closed them down totally in the final. Suppose that's the way at minor level by times, teams can blow very hot or cold
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

the Deel Rover

Looks like only 3 of the mayo lads went on to play senior . From my own club an afull shame that barry loftus never fulfilled his potential a cousin me the bauld pj at  27 if should be in his prime now played very few senior championship games for cross
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Tubberman

4 played senior by my count:
7. Conor Moran (Burrishoole)
8. James Gill (Westport)
11. BJ Padden (Belmullet)
14. Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)

Gavin Duffy is now a professional rugby player as already stated, and James Gill also played for Ireland at underage as far as I know.
Gary Dillon (Alan's brother) is captain of Ballintubber team this year who are in the senior championshiop quarter finals.
Was Robert Moran on the senior panel for a while or am I mixing him up with someone else?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the Deel Rover

Your right tubber forgot about conor moran was gary a better underage footballer than alan ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

thewobbler

Down in 1999:

1. John Sloan ( Attical) - As far as I know he suffered an arm injury the following year and hasn't played since.
2. John Clarhe (An Riocht) - One of the youngest players in the team, he has lined out in at least 8 positions for Down in Championship football since 2002.
3. Brendan Grant (Mayobridge) - Has been on and off the SFC panel since 2001, lining out at corner-back, full-back, wing-back and centre-back in various seasons.
4. Mark Doran (Longstone) - On the senior panel a number of times, and as far as I can remember played in the SFC in 2006 against Tyrone at corner-back.
5. Brendan Kearney (Warrenpoint) - I could be wrong here but I think he was involved in the Antrim debacle, SFC 2000. On and off the panel in subsequent years and dogged by injury. Has quit football at least 5 times.
6. Liam Doyle (Liatroim) - Involved since 2000, his run of injuries has occasionally been cruelly interrupted by SFC appearances, mostly at wing-forward until this year.
7. Colm Murtagh (Glenn) - Perenially injured and hasn't progressed past the occasional National League game.
8. Louis Sloan (Attical) - Has been involved in the senior panel a number of times but hasn't, as far as I know, made the SFC cut. Always a midfielder, and not big enough or mobile enough for the top class. Still battling away with Atticall.
9. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge) - Down's goal king has hardly missed an SFC game since making his debut as a sub in 2000, having played minors just an hour previously.
10. Damian McGrady (Castlewellan) - An extremely versatile player who is still ploughing away with the Town, but never really made an impact on the county scene in his handful of early season games.
11. Michael Walsh (Mayobridge) - Injuries, form, and favouritism have combined to prevent Walsh having as many SFC starts as his clubmate Coulter. The great white hope when lined out at centre three-quarters against Antrim in 2000, during his A-Levels. Ulster's centre-forward, Shane Mulholland, was banished to the wings that day.
12. Ronan Murtagh (Ballyholland) - More or less an ever present in the Down team since 2001, Murtagh has represented his county in almost half the positions on the field, but hasn't really stomped his authority on the big leagues.
13. PJ McAlinden (Burren) - From my recollection, PJ has never really been considered as a county player. A lack of height and a tendency to miss half a season through suspension have no doubt been contributing factors.
14. John Fegan (Clonduff) - On the panel around 2001/02 without really making an impact, he came to the fore this season under Ross Carr, when featuring in all our games either as starter or a sub.
15. Ronan Sexton (Mayobridge) - Didn't spring straight into the SFC panel like a few of his teammates, but has been heavily involved in every Down campaign since 2003.

Bogball XV

lot of injuries there Wobbler, do you think are minors/schoolboys put through too much in terms of training and games at too early an age?

saffron sam2

The wobbler doesn't post half enough on the board any more. A couple of gems in that lot.

Quote from: thewobbler on September 16, 2008, 08:59:35 PM
Down in 1999:
6. Liam Doyle (Liatroim) - Involved since 2000, his run of injuries has occasionally been cruelly interrupted by SFC appearances, mostly at wing-forward until this year.

11. Michael Walsh (Mayobridge) - Injuries, form, and favouritism have combined to prevent Walsh having as many SFC starts as his clubmate Coulter. The great white hope when lined out at centre three-quarters against Antrim in 2000, during his A-Levels. Ulster's centre-forward, Shane Mulholland, was banished to the wings that day.

What club is Mulholland with? Silly question.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

fred the red

Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 16, 2008, 09:22:01 PM
The wobbler doesn't post half enough on the board any more. A couple of gems in that lot.

Quote from: thewobbler on September 16, 2008, 08:59:35 PM
Down in 1999:

What club is Mulholland with? Silly question.

ballyholland

saffron sam2

Thanks for that. Now have you any idea what Ballyholland is in Irish and what their crest looks like. Rony Murtagh gets a favourable touch from thewobbler as well.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

irunthev

Excellent work there Wobbler. Thanks for that.